Author Topic: Help with decisions on lighting and electrical system  (Read 9143 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Help with decisions on lighting and electrical system
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 07:16:27 pm »
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=post;topic=7185.0;num_replies=8

Hi Granville; welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forums!

Thanks so much for relating your experience with the Tout Terrain The Plug 2+. In no way questioning or undermining your experience, mine has been almost completely opposite many of your points. I'm inclined to agree with Andy (ajbenie) you may have an electrical short-circuit that accounts for unloaded drag, and perhaps some of the difference in charging might be due to that same short or perhaps the AA battery chargers used or the capacity of the batteries being charged.

• I have found no discernible difference in my timed wheel coast-down tests from a given speed with The Plug 2+ connected or disconnected. The only drain I've found when not under load is the green indicator LED, which draws very little current. Given I could find no discernible increase in drag in my tests, I've been pleased with my switchless, continuously wired installation.

• I find I get full charging power under load (two drained-flat 2400mAh Eneloop XX rechargeable batteries) at about 7.51mph. I say "about" because the speed at which full charging occurs depends on the batteries' state of depletion (variable load) with my charger (a Sanyo Eneloop USB charger for AA/AAA batteries, which uses a different pulse-charging algorithm than many other chargers). When I have tried 2900mAh batteries, then I found the TTTP2+ indicated a charging overload. I found even with the green LED indicating overload, the TTTP2+ would actually charge and in time the light would go on solid once the batteries gained >~10% charge in my Eneloop USB charger. In other words, though the charger appeared to be cutting out (indicating a demand overload), charging was still taking place. The same has held true for my Panasonic electric shaver, which shows an overload if connected when the batteries are depleted; after a short while, the charger shows a solid green and the shaver will charge to capacity.

• I agree; once installed, the TTTP2+ is not easily transferred -- less convenient for owners of multiple bikes, but more secure in preventing theft. For easy portability between bikes, the B&M e-werk I also own works very well and has adjustable voltage and current, but does not charge at speeds as low as the TTTP2+ in my experience.

Not much you can do with two AA batteries these days.
Andre, in my case, I have deliberately standardized many of my gadgets on AA or AAA batteries. These include my GPS, my SteriPen water purifier, my weather radio, and my MP3 player as well as the LED head-worn light I use around camp at night. The only embedded/other batteries I charge are the ones in my Panasonic shaver, my telephone, my 2200mAh buffer battery, and my various camera batteries.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 08:49:57 pm by Danneaux »

geocycle

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 07:20:03 pm »
Yes, I was surprised about your drag comment.  Any drag must come from the hub.  I don't have a tout terrain but do have a SON28 and I couldn't tell whether lights or the ewerk were actually on.  I can occasionally hear a hum but it has to be very quiet road. I agree a switch would have seemed useful.  Altogether most puzzling.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:10:40 am by geocycle »

jags

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 08:58:21 pm »
not trying to be funny but are your brakes rubbing by any chance. ::)

Andre Jute

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 10:44:44 pm »
Luxos hotspot? Wha??

Very happy  with mine, lights the road from right at the wheel to 30m+ out, a great wide beam, even lighting off the edge of the road, except for some rays out to the far side (40 degs and out to 80degs). There is no hotspot that bothers me in any way.

Quote from: Andre Jute on August 31, 2013, 02:18:44 AM
However, there are reports on this board by people who have the Luxos and aren't bothered by the hotspot.

This fellow mentions it http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/index_en.html#BM_luxos and shows it in the second half of the video described at http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/koplampen/BM_luxos/index_en.html (the first half is a ride with a Philips Saferide). Direct link to video http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/video/2012-12-20--Samsung_EX1--Philips_Saferide_60_vs_BM_Luxos_B.mp4 but it doesn't make sense until you've read the text to discover what you're looking at. The hotspot is shown towards the end of the video.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:48:11 pm by Andre Jute »

il padrone

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 09:22:52 am »
Oh, yes, seen that guy's rantings. Quite frankly I don't rate his ideas very highly at all. Most notably not when you look at his comparative photos of the Phillips Saferide 60 and the B&M Luxos, where he describes the Luxos as having an inferior beam. It's a joke and he has a very patent bias against B&M.

Hoodatder

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 08:08:35 pm »
Perhaps Danneaux could help me here. I have the TT 111 with PAT powered by a SON 28. I want to charge my AA batteries and my camera battery. The camera battery cannot be charged whilst embedded -unlike the mobile phone. The style of battery is a thin oblong 35mm x 45mm and I would prefer to have only one charger that sits in the bar bag and charges both types / styles of batteries using only one USB cable.

Can you advise me please?

FWIW I have an Edelux High Power LED front light and a Toplight D Plus rear light although I don't envisage charging and cycling at the same time in the dark. Therefore. I would require the best charger for the job and not a compromise.

Thanks

Ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 08:25:38 pm »
Perhaps Danneaux could help me here...
Hi Ian!

There is a ready solution for charging your camera battery...a clip-on universal USB charger as described and shown in a photo as part of my post here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3802.msg28815#msg28815 Here is one of many examples on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-LENMAR-PPUCLIP-PowerPort-Clip-USB-Phone-Camera-Battery-Charger-/191086069736?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item2c7d9e07e8

The battery (or a spare to be swapped) is charged by the clip-on adapter outside the camera. The pin widths adjust readily and you'll get a green light from the LED when you've got it centered on the right pins (otherwise, nothing seems to happen or you get a red light, it depends on the unit). Plug the clip-on adapter into the female end of a standard USB-A male-female cable and the male end into your Plug2 variant and you should be good to go.

Though you would prefer just one charger, this clip-type folds upon itself and is very small and lightweight. I don't know of a single charger that will handle cylindrical cells (AA/AAA) *and* flat-batteries (which are really cases full of even smaller cylindrical cells) at once.

You will have to charge the AA cells separately from the camera battery; even though USB Y-adapter cables are available, their combine demands exceed what bicycle chargers can supply. I use an Eneloop USB AA/AAA charger powered by my Tour Terrain or B&M e-Werk to keep those cells charged. I have found the Eneloop charger with its automated pulse-charging to be the most efficient for my needs and it is also very small and lightweight.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, give a shout and I'll do my best.

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 08:41:24 pm »
Pixo C-USB charger might be what you are looking for http://www.pixo.de/p/pixo_cusb.html
Reviewed here http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=252905

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 09:07:51 pm »
Oh! Nicely found, Rual; thanks for passing this along!

I must investigate further myself...it looks attractive.

All the best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 12:17:54 am »
+1 thanks, Rual.  Wayne Estes' article really is a gold mine. (This, from someone who balks at Feeding The Machine.)  Will have a look at the PIXO charger when I'm in Europe later this year -- any decision will depend in part on a new camera (not yet bought), which can be charged by USB cable.  Have yet to check its battery specs & requirements. On Dan's advice, I also now have a couple of Sanyo Eneloop USB chargers. Now, just have to get the Raven on the road!

Hoodatder

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 11:37:07 am »
Hi Danneaux,

Thanks for that mine of info - it's really appreciated. You know your onions, don't you!!

Rual - I think you have come up trumps. That's exactly what I wanted and would not have found it myself - thank you.

I read what the crazyguyonabike had to say - War and Peace springs to mind!! But all this info helps, even if all of it is not needed right now.

I have ordered the Pixo and will drop a line when I have used it. I would like to cycle the Eurovelo 6 next year and be confident of "charging independence". I will give it a dummy run in France for 3 weeks this year.

Thank you all for your help. ;)

Ian