Author Topic: Help with decisions on lighting and electrical system  (Read 9142 times)

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
Help with decisions on lighting and electrical system
« on: August 30, 2013, 08:34:24 pm »
I'm sure the answers to my questions are on the forum but my head is spinning trying to work this out so I'm hoping to be able to short cut the process a bit.

I have ordered my New Raven with a Son 28 hub but decided I needed thinking time about the other components.

I need lighting for touring speeds (av 9MPH) on dark UK country lanes.
I need to be able to do some charging during the day.

Up until now I have been using a Chinese back- up battery, purchased off Ebay to charge my Memory Map Adventurer 3500 at the end of each day. After fully charging this battery at home, before leaving on a trip, it will charge my GPS and Mp3 player 4-5 times before I need to get it recharged overnight at a campsite.

I would like to be able to run the GPS off the dynamo on the odd occasion that the 2000Ah/7.4Wh runs out before the end of the day even though I've been using lots of power conservation tactics. I would also like to top up the back up battery (even a little) during the day. It has a rated capacity of 30000mAh (I don't believe it !) and input of 5.0V-1000mA. This shhould extend the number of recharges of the GPS I can do before a mains charge of the big battery is required.

So here's where I am.

The B&M Toplight Line Plus rear light. (Lots of good comments about this one)

The B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo R Senso Plus front light. (Looks best for my style of riding with good close range)

The B&M USB-Werk for charging. (looks waterproof which is a consideration in the UK:-)) or should I go for the E-Werk???

I have considered the Lumotec IQ2 LUXOS U but there seem to be too many issues to trust spending out on it.

Thanks in advance for any help or comments you can give.

Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

rualexander

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
Re: Help with decisions on lighting and electrical system
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:55:55 pm »
thanks.......more to think about.  :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 12:47:06 am »
Hi FrogPrince!

I think Rualexander has offered you a proven alternative to consider, one you could be happy with and know will meet your needs.

My suggestion (and what I use) is closer to what you spec'd. Neither "better" nor "worse" than Rual's...just an alternative that better fits my own needs and preferences:

I use the following combo:
• B&M HL Lumotec IQ Cyo R Senso Plus nearfield LED headlight. I like the illumination and the way the nearfield beam starts at about a meter away from my front wheel, ideal for seeing glass in bike lanes and for picking my way along goat tracks and rough gravel roads at night. I do wish the nice, even beam was not marred by a center hot-spot, but it is still very useful. I'm pleased enough with it to be able to wait to make a change until something I feel confident is better comes along.

• B&M Toplight Line Plus LED taillight. Very pleased with the bright, wide beam pattern, lack of glare for following cyclists/traffic, high visibility, and large reflector (which is gently illuminated by the two internal LEDs). Has a standlight function with a switch to turn it off so your bike won't attract thieves' attention when parked in a rack. Stays lit for ~4.5 minutes.

• Tout Terrain The Plug 2+ with PAT connector, Tout Terrain Expander for The Plug, Schmidt part mm piggyback connectors. Very pleased with my results from the plus, especially its ability to give me full power at very low speeds (7.5mph/12kph). I also like its location atop the steerer, its rugged construction, and resistance to theft. I also own a B&M e-Werk (like Rual suggested) and found it equally satisfactory. It required about 1.3mph more speed to reach full charge, is more prone to theft, but comes with a variety of charging adapters *and* has adjustable voltage and current, making it more versatile if you have gadgets that don't use the USB standard for charging. I really don't think you can go wrong with either, but would give the not to the Tout Terrain (now Cinq5) The Plug 2+ with PAT or The Plug III with PAT.

• 2200mAh cell phone "booster battery" used as a buffer battery to keep power flowing to my gadgets during breaks and rest stops when the dynohub isn't spinning. Cost was less than USD$8 and it has worked fine inside my waterproof handlebar bag.

Please note, for lights *and* charging, Rual's solution is considerably less expensive than the Tout Terrain or B&M e-Werk approach, and the real-world results are very close indeed for both lighting and charging. Something to think about if costs are dear at present, and his solution is a remarkable value.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 12:51:44 am »
God isn't bike feckin marvelous all the same 8)

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 02:18:44 am »
I too have the BUMM Line Plus rear lamp and a fondness for the Cyo R first series (without the hotspot) though I currently run a IQ Cyo Fly. But, like Dan, I've wasted too much money with BUMM to be in a forgiving mood about that stupid hotspot, which by Dutch accounts the Luxos also has, in addition to its other problems. However, there are reports on this board by people who have the Luxos and aren't bothered by the hotspot.

But what would really decide it for me in your position, would be not only the cost, but having so many untidy pieces of equipment, and more untidy wiring, on the bike if you go the eWerk/Tout Terrain (whatever they're called now) route. There can hardly be a more stupid plug to use outdoors than a USB, but you have to take what you can get, so the best you can get is a combo of the AXA Nano Rualexander suggests and the best rear lamp currently, the Line Plus; that combo has the advantage that it is the cheapest way to get lamps and charge your devices.

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 08:10:15 pm »
Axa Nano Plus http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1004/a70819/nano-50-plus-steady-auto-led-front-light.html
Axa Luxx 70 Plus http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1004/a86942/luxx-70-plus-steady-auto-led-headlamp.html
Both have USB outputs for charging devices during the day.

I've looked at this light and although I'm usually very much a function over form guy I think this looks like a prop from a 1950's Sci Fi B movie. I think I would find it hard to put that on my bike .....but i could be persuaded :-) ....i'll keep thinking and looking.

granville2

Re: Help with decisions on lighting and electrical system - some feedback
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 12:46:24 am »
I have just competed a 23 day, 1350 mile, JOGLE on a heavily laden Nomad equipped with a SON 28, a Tout Terrain Plug 2 plus and B&M Lumotec Lyt N Plus. The main purpose of the dynamo was to charge AA batteries for my Garmin Oregon 450.  I was using a 7day shop battery charger which has a USB input. Firstly I was not particularly please that Thorn wired in the TT without a switch as it increase drag even when it is not loaded. Also something mounted in the head is not flexible, it cannot be easily moved to our tandem for example.

Battery charging was not that successful, on the hillier sections average speed for the day was about 8-9 mph, most of the time the system is not charging, the system cuts out at below about 6.5 mph, lot of the climbs were at just about this speed or a bit lower, with the TT repeatedly cutting in and out, add to that the charger going through its start up routine every switch off and it a recipe for very little charging. Also the TT cut out above about 22 mph, so on lots of descents it also off, unless you hold the bike back with the brakes. I successfully charged 2 x 2900 mAh AAs on the days on flat terrain (about 6 days), but disconnected the dynamo out of frustration on the hilly days.

The headlight was a cheap option because I do not expect to do much riding in the dark. It was used in two 400+ metre tunnels on NCN 64. For first I walked and the light was good enough to see the potholes. For the second I rode at lowish speed and again the light was good enough for the speed.

Andre Jute

Re: Help with decisions on lighting and electrical system - some feedback
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 04:31:11 am »
I successfully charged 2 x 2900 mAh AAs on the days on flat terrain (about 6 days), but disconnected the dynamo out of frustration on the hilly days.

Fascinating information, Granville. Thank you so much.

Not much you can do with two AA batteries these days. I'm not surprised you became frustrated.

il padrone

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 01:46:11 pm »
However, there are reports on this board by people who have the Luxos and aren't bothered by the hotspot.

Luxos hotspot? Wha??

Very happy  with mine, lights the road from right at the wheel to 30m+ out, a great wide beam, even lighting off the edge of the road, except for some rays out to the far side (40 degs and out to 80degs). There is no hotspot that bothers me in any way.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:50:40 pm by il padrone »

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 01:52:57 pm »
What about charging with this one?

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 02:01:16 pm »
 As granville 2 said "Also something mounted in the head is not flexible, it cannot be easily moved to our tandem for example."

This is a good point. At least a USB-Werk or E-Werk can be removed easily from the bike and used with other hub dynamo equipped bikes. That looks like a saving there in the long run. I could lend it to a mate going off on a trip if I wasn't using it for example.

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 03:08:49 pm »
I've used the Luxos U to recharge an iPhone 5 with no issues. I also hooked it up to my Garmin Montana, and recharged it successfully; however, with the Montana, any time I came to a stop, I has to dismiss the "I've lost power, do you want me to shut down", and the "I just got USB power, do you want mass storage mode" dialogs, so the cache battery seems to be a bit small.

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 05:50:28 pm »
B&M Toplight Line Plus LED taillight

I'll add to the recommendations for these lights too .... I have one on the back of my commuter.  Bright, reliable,  looks to be well built and the standlight function works well.  I particularly like the end mounted LEDs which enhance the side visibility.

My front light is a B&M LED but one of the more budget versions,  good around town but I guess the others will be able to recommend something better for touring.

Bear in mind some sort of backup is very useful,  if nothing else having e.g. a head torch will make a failure less likely (sod's law) and if you do run into problems you can fix it around your bar bag and continue, albeit more slowly.  I use a Cateye TL-D1100 for the back of my Sherpa,  we don't ride much in the dark but it is 'bonkers bright' and the '70's disco' mode will probably penetrate the consciousness of 'school run mum or dad'  more so than a non-flashing light, so usefull if you have to ride in traffic in the dark.

sdg.

ajbenie

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 06:55:44 pm »
Hi Granville
I'm a bit puzzled as to your comment regarding drag from the tout terrain plug. On my bike where i fitted it myself i have almost no obvious extra drag when the plug II+ is connected. I also tried it with the bike upside-down and couldn't really see a difference (the difference wasn't statistically significant, I'm sure that it can be measured but that would need some form of special rig) To me it sounds as if you have short somewhere as the only energy the plug needs when there is no load connected is to turn the LED on and the drag would mean that you are generating electricity, which has to go somewhere. Your charging experience however, fits with mine, but then again i can't see how any other system could be better as you need to have some form of overload protection in the system or you will fry whatever you are trying to charge, whenever you go down hill. In fact I've killed a number rear lights with standlight function that way.
/Andy