Author Topic: New dynamo hub and light arrived today  (Read 11572 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: New dynamo hub and light arrived today
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 08:08:51 pm »
jags,

I can't speak with authority on the Shimano, but my Schmidt dynohubs have always come through without any cables at all...just a tiny plastic sack with several spade connectors and a couple short lengths of heat-shrink tubing.

In my experience, it is the lights that are supplied with leads/cables. A headlight may or may not come with taillight wiring; it seems the makers either package the needed wire with the lights...or expect you to get it on your own. I usually do the latter, using Peter White as a source. It is really disheartening to find you have cut something just short and will have to wait 10-14 days and incur more postage costs to make it right again with a fresh order. Better to order a bit more than you think you'll need the first go-'round.

B&M and Schmidt offer either zip-wire (two-conductor cord that can be pulled apart) or coaxial (two conductors in one sheath, one usually shielded inside the other. I've found zip-wire makes the most discrete installation (especially if glued inside a mudguard lip), while coaxial is inherently more durable, though larger and harder to hide.  Don't forget to crimp and solder the connectors, and make little hoods and strain-reliefs for them out of heat-shrink tubing. I always pump mine full of high-dialectric silicone grease to keep the connections well shielded from water and playa dust.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks Tom Petty was right: The waiting is the hardest part)

jags

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2012, 10:44:57 pm »
Dan are you saying you can buy as much of the cable as you like so if i were to buy 5or6 yds of it i should be safe enough  ;)ok next stupid question where can i get it on this side of the pond. ::)

il padrone

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2012, 10:50:54 pm »
Consumer electronics stores should stock most of the sort of dual-core cable used for bicycle lights.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2012, 10:55:08 pm »
Good idea by Pete and I'll bet Andre will have a Euro source for the B&M/Schmidt for you, jags. A for length, I can't imagine needing more than 6.6ft/2m to reach the taillight. Figure on a bit more in case of a mistake. The headlight should come with sufficient wire to reach the front dropout and then some.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 11:21:03 pm »
The front light I'm sending you, currently lying on my desk as a reminder to find the spare bubs for it, is a BUMM Lumotec Oval Senso Plus* and has wiring permanently attached to the lamp at one end, and spades for a SON at the other end. You'll have to cut off the spades to use the lamp with the Shimano hub. Also on the lamp are two pairs of connectors for spades, one to provide juice to the rear light, the other set presumably to use with the dynamo hub if you don't want the fixed wire and cut it off. Or one may be to a second lamp, because this Lumotec Oval was the one that could be used in double hub dynamo setups, see Marten Gerritsen's M-Engineering site pages in The Netherlands.

The knob under the lamp slides to open it for changing the bulb. Be careful, the bulb is held in only by springloaded pressure.

Make sure you get a Shimano Hub Dynamo Connector with your dynamo wheel or you can run up unconscionable postage to get this one-quid piece of grey plastic. You screw the wires into the connector and then you plug the connector into the socket on the hub.

You don't need to get special cable to wire up lights. Any old zipcord will carry that little current. Special bicycle lamp "cable" -- special anything "cable", including crap sold as "audiophile" -- comes off the same roll as cheap wire called "wire". The stuff BUMM sells, and Peter White, is especailly nasty and cheap, except that it's overpriced because it comes from BUMM. Look around your kitchen cabinets and your garage and you'll find plenty of suitable wire you can cut off (don't cut it off your wife's hairdryer!), or your local electrical shop will cut you some off a roll of twin-core. Note that, twin-core: you need two wires, not one as in the usual cheap and nasty British installation which uses the bike frame for an uncertain return. It might have been worth buying the BUMM wiring kit if it were complete, but in their usual pennypinching style it is terminated only one end, so you have the same bother of finding bits, so you may as well pay a quarter as much for the same wire locally and cut out the waiting.

If you need to buy spade fittings for the rear lamp, take the lamp to your local motor factor and don't leave with anything in a sealed packet that he won't open to show you they fit. Those spades aren't one of the more common sizes...

*BUMM means it's a light for bikesnobs. Lumotec means it's halogen. Oval means it has a reflector built in. Senso means it is light sensitive and switches on and off automatically (this is the one lamp on which it is a useful facility, because the MTBF of the bulbs is only 100 hours, so you don't want to keep the light on during daylight hours -- I don't know if the 100 hours is a CYA or true, because I've never had a globe failure, though some of my bike lamps have done many times a 100 hours of service). Plus means it has a built-in current store and stays on for four minutes after your bike stope, a safety measure called a standlight, in my opinion an esssential facility, most reassuring.

Andre Jute