Author Topic: New thornist !  (Read 5586 times)

Blue lotus

New thornist !
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:48:57 pm »
Hello Thornists,

I've been reading you for quite a while now, but a recent event forces me to start talking, and I'm pretty happy about that!

I entered the Thorn world in early winter last year when I bought a Commutour. Being very pleased with it, I kept looking on the net to upgrade to a Sherpa, mainly to have a frame size that would suit me better and also for the ability to carry heavy load on front and back with lots of water bottles.

I commute to work by bike everyday, with a bianchi on nice sunny day, and with a thorn on wet days (i'm in bristol, uk, so these days are quite frequent...). For the moment I have not trying to tour by bike, i've only done longish  one-day rides  but i'll hopefully have a go next year.

I just purchased a red Sherpa through ebay again and I will pick it up in a few days.

I plan to pick up the better bits from the Commutour to put them on the Sherpa. Once this exercice done, I will sell the Commutour as I've been told I have already too many bikes...
To choose the bits, I intend to list here what is on which bike and hopefully with your advice, i'll be able to swap bits.

More of that next week. If you have a leaflet describing the commutour in detail, i would be interested. It is quite hard to know what this bike spec was.

Greetings to you all,

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: New thornist !
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:31:06 am »
Welcome to the Forum!

And...congratulations on being a Thorn owner for the second time!

This is wonderful news, and we're looking forward to seeing photos of your bike(s) now and as they merge and become your newest ride.

Looking through the archives, I see the Commutour is menthoned here:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2275.0

It appears the Commutour was available from approximately 2001 to early 2004, at least in remaindered models. It was discontinued after that.

A picture of one far from original conditon here: http://www.cyclofiend.com/ssg/2007/ssg124-chris1207.html

A copy of the original Thorn Commutour brochure appears here from 10 August 2003 (unfortunately sans photos, but with full component specs):
http://web.archive.org/web/20030810224926/http://sjscycles.com/thornbrochure.asp

Fun to read about other models of this era as well...the brochures are available at the above link.

I hope this helps; looking forward to hearing more from you!

Best,

Dan. (who always thought the Commutour could be reintroduced in updated form to great success)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:48:33 am by Danneaux »

Blue lotus

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 02:15:58 pm »
Hello,

Thank you for your welcome and for the information on the Commutour. I collected the Sherpa on Monday but unfortunately I've had to fly and work abroad on Tuesday. I just managed to ride it for 5min around the neighbourhood. First impression is that is feels great. I look forward to riding it more though!

In term of spec difference, see below: there does not seem to be much to swap from one to the other, except maybe wheels (I need your advice for these) and handlebar (first impression with Modolo Yuma is that it is quite a small diamater and I really like the grip and damping of the Ergon GR2).

The main difference is their frame size: 560XL Red for the Sherpa and 515L Black for the Commutour. Although I am 6'1", I fit well on the Commutour (with extended seat post obviously).

They are as such:

Commutour:
Schwalbe Marathon Plus London
Rigida Safetyline DP2000 26” 32 hole rims
SKS chroma mudguards
Rear rack with pannier mount
Avid shorty6 cantilever brakes
Shimano STX special edition Parallax hubs
EX seatpost
Selle royal soft ride saddle
FSA Orbit XL II headset
THE 3T Stem
Dawes flat handle bars with Ergon GR2 Grips
Sunrace changers
Tetro Levers
Shimano Deore rear mech
Suntour X1 front mech
7 speed cassette 28-11
Dortek-FG-PRO6 165mm crankset with 48-40-24 rings
Shimano Deore bottom bracket

The Sherpa came as follows:
Brooks mens saddle
Tyres - Continental Travel Contacts
Rear Rack - Thorn Expedition Carrier
Mudguards - Black SKS
Brake Levers - Shimano Deore
V Brakes - Shimano XT
Shifters - Shimano Dura Ace bar end shifters
Rear Derailleur - Shimano LX
Front Chainset - Triple Shimano LX
Front Derailleur - Shimano LX
Pedals - Shimano Flat/Clipless SPD
Handlebars - Modolo Yuma with Black road bar tape
Zefal Pump

Thanks for your comments. Pictures to follow when I am back at home.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:19:09 pm by Blue lotus »

Andybg

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:14:48 pm »
It seems like you have a nice pair of bikes there. What wheels did the Sherpa come with?

I am sure some of the people on here will be able to give you advice on which wheels to run with for what cycling you do

Again - Welcome to the fraternaty

Cheers

Andy

jags

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:24:01 pm »
I'm waiting for the photos  ;)
well done on the sherpa great bike enjoy.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 05:26:22 pm »
I just managed to ride it for 5min around the neighbourhood. First impression is that is feels great. I look forward to riding it more though!
Oh, what good news you have the bike in-hand, but what agony to have to wait to ride it! 'Makes the minutes crawl by, I know. The good news is, your first impressions are good and will likely build from here as the new Sherpa would seem to meet all your listed needs. Yay!

I'd need to know a bit more about the Sherpa wheels before I could make a recommendation. It appears the Sherpa has later spec components than the Commutour. If so, you'll need to keep wheel/cassette spacing in mind so you'll have compatibility between the cassette and derailleurs.

Unless you have a marked preference by tread or brand, I think I'd choose the newer/better condition tires of the two to keep, simply 'cos I'm uh, "careful" and would figure I'd get more use from them before having to buy replacements.

The handlebars will be a personal choice, but I'm guessing you'll end up swapping the Dawes flat 'bars and Ergon grips to the Sherpa. The Modolo Yuma has a variety of possible hand positions and can be fitted with Ergon grips (See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cargonistas/4503908885/ ), but it is a butterfly 'bar, and so has the limitations common to that type: It is flexible, it tends to put the brakes pretty far in and back, and requires different positioning/stem length if not a different-length top tube. Please note: The Thorn Sherpa brochure equates shorter frames with drop and butterfly handlebars and longer frames with comfort or straight handlebars. If you download the latest Sherpa brochure ( http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornSherpaBroHiRes.pdf ), there is a discussion of handlebars starting on page 3 and butterfly 'bars and the Yuma in particular on page 4. That might help make a decision, or you might need to swap stems in the trying.

If you think you'd like the Dawes 'bars from the Commutour, I'd sure try them on the Sherpa awhile before selling the Commutour. This woud give you a chance to see if you like the straight 'bars on the Sherpa -- which until now has been running the Yumas. You'll either know right away, or will need more time to make a decision. You could adjust the sell-on date for the Commutour accordingly.

I'm afraid I can't offer much more that would be useful till I see some photos, which are eagerly awaited! I hope you'll soon have the opportunity to try your wonderful new bike at length, and I'm sure the next person will await your Commutour with open arms.

Best,

Dan.

Blue lotus

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:43:43 pm »
Thanks for all that. It's true that wheels can be tricky things when it's about fiddling with chain, derailleur, etc. I'll have a look on the week-end and let you know exactly what's fitted on the Sherpa.

Having had a look online at bike parts, the Modolo Yuma fitted on the bike is a Mohican type, so that type. It doesn't impact the riding position/frame as much as a usual Yuma. It shouldn't flex that much neither. However, it is completely impossible to fit any Ergo on it... As Dan says, I'll have to try. Maybe adding a layer of tape on the 'bars could thicken the diameter and enhance its damping.

To answer Andybg, I plan to mainly commute with the bike in the winter, but also plan to tour with it next year. I think i'll stick with the heavy but bulletproof Schwalbe. My way to work is really full of nail, metallic sworf and hings like that... Tyres are brand new too, about 100miles I would say.

Cheers, and thanks for your welcome once again!

Andybg

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 06:55:35 pm »
They look like really comfy bars and very similar to what I am planning on fitting on my new bike apart from the ones I am going for break down so I can fit a Rohloff shifter in.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-ahs-basic-sport-handlebars-c-w-comfort-bar-ends-254mm-clamp-prod24411/

I am planning on removing the foam covers and wrapping the bars in bar tape as I prefer the minimilist feel. As an opposite you could fit foam or multiwrap your bars to add some padding.

Personaly I am not a fan of ergon type grips on bikes as they 'force' your hands into specific positions where I prefer to let mine wander around the bar (if you know what I mean officer!!!!)

Best Regards

Andy

Blue lotus

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 07:18:59 pm »
Hello,

I swaped most of what I could swap, which means not much (bell :), tyres, bottle cage) . The gears being different (9 vs 7), etc. The Continental travel contacts were not far from touching the mudguard on the Sherpa (SKS 55mm) and once on the Commutour (SKS 45mm), the wheels could not turn at all :-\. So I had to remove the mudguard so that the bike can be cycled and sold ;)

I took a few pictures today. It was getting dark but it should give you a good overview over the bikes.

Andybg

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 07:28:19 pm »
The Sherpa is looking good. Hope it gives you years of service. Don't forget to put the commutour up on the forum to give those on here a chance before it goes global.

How do you find the thumbies on the sherpa? I think it is a better option then the changers on a standard mountain bike. Aslo views on the handlebars you have got on it would be nice.

Cheers

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 07:51:32 pm »
Agreed with Andy; the bright red Sherpa looks particularly fine and the all-black Commutour is looking spiff with the swap of tires and pseudo-MTB appearance. It should sell-on nicely and make someone a very nice all-'rounder for ehm, commuting-touring, as intended! Yes, please post it here first; I think you'll get a good price with minimal effort.

Only meant as a well-intended suggestion: I'm a little concerned about the mounting tang on the Sherpa's front mudguard...it appears to be in contact with rear of the lower headset cup, and that could cause problems. If you could drill out the back of the rivet holding it in place and peen it over, a new 5.5mm hole could be drilled about 1cm behind the rivets and a cleaner fenderline (mudguard arc) achieved. I think the rear could be made to fit a bit closer as well. SJS Cycles have some special instructions for doing so that might help: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/fitting-mudguards-to-our-thorn-bikes-with-26-%28559%29-wheels-blog71/ Please note the SKS P55 mudguards are pretty much ready to go except for removing the tang.

Both bikes are looking very good indeed! Congratulations on getting the Sherpa you wanted; it looks up to your commuting plans, and eventual possibilities for longer tours. Nicely taken photos, too; thanks for sharing!

Best,

Dan.

Blue lotus

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 03:31:33 pm »
Hi guys,

Yes, i'm well pleased with the Sherpa!

@Andybg: I still don't know what to think about the "thumbies". I'll have to play with them. I like their accuracy but as I stop and go quite a lot through my commute, the MTB ones seems a bit more friendly (no move of the hand while changing gear and possibility to brake if something happens ahead).
For views on the handlebar, I may have to shorten a bit the stem to access more easily the top position: Something I have to try...
The ride is very similar to the Commutour in fact, they are very agile but stable bikes.

@Danneaux: I need indeed to play with the front part of the rear mudguard to make it follow more nicely the wheel. Thanks for the link. I saw already that there is an extra hole but I didn't take time to play with it.

No problem to put the bike on sale here first.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:36:33 pm by Blue lotus »

energyman

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 05:54:17 pm »
Who told you you had too many bikes ?  Yet again the formula N + 1 = Ideal number of bikes, rules OK
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:31:21 pm by energyman »

Blue lotus

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 08:24:19 am »
Who told you you had too many bikes ?  Yet again the formula N + 1 = Ideal number of bikes, rules OK

Well, the problem is that our bikes are on the communal hall and it is hard enough to justify two for me  ;), so no chance for three.

Blue lotus

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 11:41:21 am »
Little update:

YES! Just managed to get hold of a Thorn Adventure Tandem on Sunday evening. There are plenty of tandem for sale around but it was not easy to find one: near enough, with good sizes (me: 6'1", girlfriend: 5'4"), in good condition and from a good make).

First ride this afternoon in the sun. I'll try to take a pic or two of the bike.

I'm pretty happy. First time we try a tandem, so a lot to look forward to!

Etienne