Author Topic: Your choice for best casual locking strategy  (Read 6956 times)

jags

Re: Your choice for best casual locking strategy
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 06:52:01 pm »
Excellent stuff Dan really look forward to that. ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 09:30:32 pm »
It's my bike that's the movie star, not me...

I should make those Brain People of Switzerland, makers of the n'lock, pay me a commission!

Andre Jute

Eric

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 07:05:46 pm »
I have one of those 're-usable' cable ties/zipties (the ones with a little tag on the ratchet so that it can be released with a fingernail)hanging round my bars inboard of the barbag moutings.
 Takes me a few seconds to release it and clamp a brake lever on with it - front for a 'handbrake' to stop the bike rolling away on a hill or when I'm loading it; rear as a quick anti-rollaway.
Not quite a D-lock, but it costs 2p and it works! ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 07:07:35 pm by Eric »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 07:10:15 pm »
Brilliant idea, Eric; thanks for sharing! Best of all...the reusable zip-tie won't go "flat" with time as elastic or rubber bands can as they slowly deteriorate. Handy for other things, too, and as an emergency tie. Well done!

Best,

Dan.

No

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 06:35:55 am »
I always prefer the big damn chain with a big damn lock method. It can be quickly augmented with  a U-lock, specially with a long noose chain.

jags

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 01:06:15 pm »
 i bought the kryptonite new york lock couple years back i think it weighs more than the bike.
needless to say i never used it except maybe to lock my 2 bike together in the house.

[Dan-edited to remove extra returns, not for content]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:36:05 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 08:08:50 pm »
i bought the kryptonite new york lock couple years back i think it weighs more than the bike.
needless to say i never used it except maybe to lock my 2 bike together in the house.

Ha! My Abus 54X Granit stands against the wall. I used it more often to fend off incompetently driven Range Rovers during the Celtic Tiger than to lock the bike... It makes a good four-pound hammer.

Andre Jute

[Dan-edited to remove extra returns from original quote, not for content]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:36:36 pm by Danneaux »

No

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 02:04:06 am »
I always find that having a heavier chain is better than walking home. It's a pain but, I don't know how you trust these light weight strategies. Have had too much stolen without one.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 11:58:03 pm »
That New York Standard lock is what I routinely carry in my saddlebag, along with a cable. It does weigh a ton! I combine the lock with the grungy bike look. I have yet to see another Rohloff in the county. But I definite ride through and stop in some neighborhoods that are plenty iffy so that bit of security helps me stay calm! I like reducing whatever impediments I see to make the bike really practical transportation.

No

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 05:58:32 pm »
I wonder, has anyone ever had a chain stolen? Maybe there's something to be said for the lack of a quick link on Shimano chains?

Andre Jute

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 08:03:45 pm »
One one day, going to lunch at my favourite Cork restaurant, Isaacs, I saw on the McCurtain Street near it two stripped frames. I mean that literally, frames, chained to lamp posts. The thieves must have come with bike tools, because even the bottom bracket had been removed. So yes, No, on one day I saw two stolen chains.

Andre Jute