Author Topic: Your choice for best casual locking strategy  (Read 6958 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Your choice for best casual locking strategy
« on: October 08, 2012, 08:05:06 am »
Hi All!

This is one thread I cannot afford to practice myself; theft is simply too common and rampant in my area, thanks to the methamphetamine epidemic. However, that's not the case elsewhere, and many riders either don't carry or choose to use a lock, depending instead on more casual strategies to deter theft. These won't fool a real thief and are well-known by this time, but would be an inconvenience and might deter an impulse snatch-and-grab or give the owner a few extra seconds to launch an adrenaline-fueled pursuit. All can be combined with more secure locking strategies, of course.

Richie has recently mentioned using his rubber brake bands for this purpose ( http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4823.msg24487#msg24487 ). A lot of people do similar things. Here's a few I've seen myself or remember from my ramblings 'round the 'Net...

= On Rohloff-hubbed bikes, detach the EX box (if so equipped) with the 'box in Gear 14, Turn the shift selector to Gear 1.

= Detach your v-brake cable noodle(s).

= If you have a quick-link in your chain, detach it and put the gap at the top of the outer chainring; chain will "break" on thief's attempted departure.

= If you have derailleurs, park with the drivetrain in an extreme cross-chain posture, then reverse the shift levers (relaxing the cables).

= Forget your cable or lock but want a bit more security? Use your quick-link and chain to secure the bike to a post or rack.

= When leaving the bike, release the brake levers and screw the brake adjuster out before resetting the levers. Presto, stationary bike.

= A clever trick I saw recently was to reverse the rear wheel on a derailleur bike so the cassette was on the left side. At a casual glance, all appeared normal, but the chain engaged...nothing.

= If you have toe straps, set the cranks horizontal and loop the strap on one pedal around the chainstay and re-buckle it.

Any more come to mind?

Best,

Dan. ("Justasec'" is an eternity to a thief delayed...)

julk

Re: Your choice for best casual locking strategy
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:04:58 am »
Dan,
Having fitted an n'lock as recommended by Andre I am most impressed with the unrideability of the bike when the key is removed.
Definitely worth considering if the stem size suits you.
Julian

il padrone

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 12:17:02 pm »
Load your bike with 30+ kgs of camping gear  ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 05:15:17 pm »
Heh-heh. I like them all. But, like Julian, I like the n'lock better.

For Julian:
The n'lock is the Pontius Pilate of bike locks: you always have clean hands.

Andre Jute

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 05:31:13 pm »
I have had to resort to taking the chain off the front cog and dangling it over the bb.
My brain told me that a thief of opportunity wouldn't bother trying to get it back on.
These ideas would make an excellent TV program.
Set up each example in a dodgy area and watch how successful they are.
People who have had their bike stolen could sit and hide with paint guns.

The brake bands have twice made people try and pick the bike up to move it because it was blocking an alley way.
The last time this happened I came out of the shop to see the person doing it. They were amazed at how simple my solution was.
Works particularly well with the afore mentioned 30+ kgs of camping gear.
Does not stop the big guy with a van,pick up truck, camel etc
I can't find the link but somebody showed me a blog of a guy cycling in Mongolia. He left his bike outside the tent. No lock. In the night a local came and stole it by attaching it to his horse with a length of rope and dragging it off behind him! It was never found. Fortunately his friends and followers clubbed together to get him a new one. You can just imagine the Mongolian cowboy trading his £3000 bike in for scrap. Much like the b*stards who stole the bronze Barbara Hepworth and Henry Moore sculptures to melt down even though they were worth half a million quid.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

julk

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 03:13:03 pm »
Heh-heh. I like them all. But, like Julian, I like the n'lock better.

For Julian:
The n'lock is the Pontius Pilate of bike locks: you always have clean hands.

Andre Jute

Andre,
chuckle, chuckle - thanks for that.

The Hebie ChainGlider is also going up in my estimation as it has a similar effect of keeping bike and hands clean.
Julian.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 05:47:02 pm »
Is there a thread for the hebie somewhere?
I can't get my head around the idea that it just sits on the chain and must rub in several places?
Is that correct?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

julk

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 07:55:02 pm »
The chainglider must touch somewhere, possibly the chainring and rear sprocket provide some bearing surfaces. You have to buy a size to suit your sprockets fore and aft.

When I initially had my chain too slack I could here a noise like a derailleur whirring as the chain dragged around touching somewhere inside the chainglider.
Once I tensioned my chain correctly the chain drag noise disappeared, surprised me as well.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 09:58:04 pm »
Ok. So what was the chain guilder 'resting ' on after the chain was at the correct tension?

jags

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 10:37:55 pm »
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1004/1224324837949.html
this is big business in Ireland stealing bikes ,
this happened just 7 miles from my town.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 11:03:12 pm »
I would like to visit the 2 guys with a pair of bolt cutters.
Purely to assist them with future activities.
 ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 12:21:27 am »
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1004/1224324837949.html
this is big business in Ireland stealing bikes ,
this happened just 7 miles from my town.

This is disgraceful discrimination against cyclists by the judiciary. If those four thieves stole cars to much less value than €20K, they would receive custodial sentences. But the judge is clearly labouring under the misapprehension that bicycles are luxury goods, discretionary purchases. It hasn't occurred to him that some people's sole mobility is a bicycle. It is an elitist outlook that isn't wanted in our society. Why should a property crime against a bicyclist be treated as less hurtful than a property crime against a motorist?

Andre Jute

Andre Jute

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 12:44:03 am »
Is there a thread for the hebie somewhere?
I can't get my head around the idea that it just sits on the chain and must rub in several places?
Is that correct?

"A Fully Enclosed Chaincase That Works" --  http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2233.0 -- deals with Hebie ChainGlider at Reply 10. Much more experience and opinion by searching for "chainglider" without the quotation marks.

The Hebie Chainglider must touch somewhere, sure, but in practice it is made from such hard material and of such stiffness that it isn't worn by the contract. Mine is several years old now and has zero sign of wear inside. (And, if there were to be wear, mine would show more wear than normal, because I'm conducting a zero-chain lube experiment inside my Chainglider.)

Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 05:20:52 pm »
Dan or Anrde have you got a link to that N-lock .
i wish you guys would make a video on fitting these gizmo when you get them
N-Lock
Plug -2
Wiring up a dynamo (hiding the cables)
you lads are very tasty when it comes to bike mechanics you like to get them looking top notch,
so you have already everthing sussed out make life so much easier  when it comes to fitting. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 06:11:48 pm »
Hi jags!

I have the Plug2 charging system, It is Andre and JulK that have the n'lock, so they are the experts/owners in stem-based security.

Andre put up an outstanding photo-essay on the n'lock here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3930.0

The product link is here: http://shop.nlock.ch/

Thanks for the reminder; I'll surely keep you in mind with the videos as I get the Nomad toward completion. I have yet to wire-up the lights and charging system (I've been commuting back and forth to the little family cabin on the Oregon Coast to deal with water and electrical problems). If I can get the tripod set right so I can work and film, I will video the install as I do it. I'll be back on-track soon, and will let you know when the videos are ready.

All the best,

Dan.