Author Topic: B&M Introduce new budget dyno headlight, product updates 2012  (Read 6172 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
B&M Introduce new budget dyno headlight, product updates 2012
« on: February 06, 2012, 06:13:56 pm »
Hi All,

Busch und Muller have updated their site, and have showcased several new product designs and products. Since most on this list seem to be native English speakers, I'll include the Google Translate links...

It appears their "line light" technology is now included in three of their taillights -- the Toplight Line Plus, Toplight Flat S, and IXBACK Sensory. I have the Toplight Line Plus, and have been pleased with the results. It used two LEDs behind a prism to spread the light horizontally, so it appears almost like a neon tube going the width of the light (about the same width as my rear rack). Motorists have stopped me at traffic lights to mention how visible it is, even in daylight on a cloudy or overcast day. COmparison here: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.bumm.de/&ei=Kw4wT8LWJeqfiQKymKHiCg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CEwQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbusch%2Band%2Bmuller%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D726%26prmd%3Dimvns

One model also incorporates a sort of "brake light" (BrakeTec), where the intensity increases in response to an accelerometer. See: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.bumm.de/&ei=Kw4wT8LWJeqfiQKymKHiCg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CEwQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbusch%2Band%2Bmuller%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D726%26prmd%3Dimvns

B&M have also introduced a "budget" line of Lumotec Lyt and Lyt B headlights. The comparison chart here (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.bumm.de/&ei=Kw4wT8LWJeqfiQKymKHiCg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CEwQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbusch%2Band%2Bmuller%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D726%26prmd%3Dimvns) shows its beam compared to their IQ series. Though the Lyt produces only 25lux, it seems to make the most of it and might be a consideration for those seeking a less expensive option compared to, say, the IQ Cyo. It certainly beats the pants off a the halogen beam in their comparison. The Lyt also has an available daytime-running-light option.

I'm not as enthused about their line of Cyo headlights with daytime-running lights, 'cos I want to have as much power as possible available for charging batteries, and prefer to simply switch my headlight to "on" if I need to be more visible in daylight.

Interesting stuff!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:43:50 am by Danneaux »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
Re: B&M Introduce new budget dyno headlight, product updates 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:45:10 pm »
Dan - yes, I saw the new BrakeTek lights recently. Its on my shopping list for the dynamo and lights project. Scotland in Winter often requires lights even in the middle of the day. What I like is that the awareness of distance from the cyclist provided to drivers and others by the design. Having seen many cyclists with the small flashing rear (and front) lights, I find them inadequate. While driving myself I find I am distracted by flashing cycle lights which I feel may be more dangerous for the cyclist than a steady light.

Combined with a dynamo, the new B&M LED lights are powerful yet draw less power. What I am looking for is 'fit-and-forget' - the bye-word in cycle touring!

With a dynamo, and the B&M LED lights, the Plug 2 combination to power a re-chargeable battery, and the 'Senso' function of many lights from B&M, its 'fit-and-forget'! The battery charges when the light is good, and discharge is low when the light is bad. Think long un-lit tunnels in the Alps. Automatic lighting with the 'Senso' function and no need to fiddle with on/off/senso buttons.

Are there any other Northern European cyclists on the forum that can provide input and experiences here?

What I would ideally like is the latest TopLine BrakeTek Plus light to have a 'Senso' model. Maybe that will come!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:48:31 pm by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:51:56 pm »
Richard,
While driving myself I find I am distracted by flashing cycle lights which I feel is more dangerous for the cyclist.
Yes, unfortunately. A police officer friend tells me they are often referred to on the Force as "drunk magnets" because those so impaired tend to fixate on them. Apparently, this also happens when emergency vehicles are stopped with their lights on and he tells me the drunks sometimes come to him when he's on another traffic stop.

Scary.

I tend to use the 1-watt LED blinkys when in heavy commute traffic or on winding country roads with limited sightlines. Otherwise, it is the Toplight Line Plus and possibly the LEDs on steady. And yes, the Toplight Line Plus standlight function is way cool. I've gotten as much as 4.5 minutes out of mine. The LEDs are arranged in such a way they not only make a "line" of light...the stray light they emit also illuminates the entire reflector as well. An idea that is truly well executed.

Locally, a flashing-white light to the front has come to signify "bicycle" to motorists. While I admit they are attention-getting, they are terrible to be behind, and absolutely ruin the pleasure of riding for me. Especially with roadside foliage, I feel like I'm stuck behind a strobe light in a night club. I suppose I will eventually have to get one in order to be "seen" by motorists conditioned by them, but I have no idea where I will put it and don't want it.

Your overall lighting/charging plan sounds like a good one. I am more pleased with the Tout Terrain The Plug 2 by the day, and will likely also install their power-booster when it becomes available.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:16:32 am by Danneaux »

triaesthete

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:04:40 pm »
I think flashing lights are illegal in Germany for the distraction they cause and their mesmerising effect. I think they also make it harder to judge distance.
The line plus tail light comes on in low light if it is run off a senso headlight, eg cyo or edelux. Only the headlight is "senso" as such, the tail light just follows suit.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:22:38 pm »
The BUMM taillights are not sensor lights because they are switched through the headlamp.

An automatic day/night sensor switch made sense in the days of halogen globes with a 100-hour lifespan. It makes zero sense when all the good lights are LEDs. The life of a LED is practically infinite; you just leave it on during the day as a daylight running lamp.

Dan, you might want to read the BrakeTec description again. I don't think it measures acceleration, but works on the frequency of the electricity stream arriving front the dynamo, a different matter altogether. You might also, in the interest of a comprehensive education, look at the DIWA early warning system, which however is available only with halogen bulbs.

Andre Jute
My Big Apple right in it

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:37:18 pm »
Andre,

You're absolutely right! B&M's BrakeTec does not use a simple accelerometer, but one that does measure the amount of dynamic decelleration over a time constant by sensing changes in the interval of hub dynamo signals. A processor in the BrakeTec taillight interprets signals from the hub dynamo. If the bike should decelerate suddenly (time) and significantly (magnitude), then the rear light becomes noticeably lighter, like a brake light. DIWA (Distance Warning) looks a bit like BrakeTec in concept, though as you note, is halogen-based.

Standing cheerfully corrected!  ;D

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:15:29 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 01:41:54 am »
In related news, Spanninga have announced their new Corona series of LED lighting. Looking much like the "angel eyes" lighting-surround effect used by BMW as automotive daytime-running-lights, Spanninga's optics direct the main beam around a central reflector. No beam pattern diagrams as yet but LEDs range from 20-40lux in output.  See: http://www.spanninga.nl/xhtml/product_details.php?cid=9&pid=146

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 07:24:09 pm »
I've had Spanninga lights, both front and rear, and they were better than contemporary BUMM lights.  The problem is getting them (mine came with bikes from Royal Dutch Gazelle and the Trek Benelux, where Jos, the owners of Spanninga, have a strong representation with the OEMs). Even in Europe they are not all that common in shops or on the internet, presumably because they prefer to concentrate on the OEM market. In the States the importer is Peter White, which doesn't bode well for a strongly price-led assault on an aftermarket pretty much sewn up by BUMM.

Spanninga lights are definite worth looking at. Also the Philips ring light, which is like the BUMM line concept but multiplied.