Author Topic: Recommendations for a good floor pump with pressure gauge?  (Read 6027 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Recommendations for a good floor pump with pressure gauge?
« on: October 27, 2011, 10:53:32 pm »
HI All,

My 25 year-old Japanese-made Medai (MDI) Top Super floor pump has finally died, thanks to a worn-out pump leather.  It is shot and cannot be revived any longer with leather treatments or oil or silicone grease.  The company is defunct and no replacement leathers are available.  I have two options -- make a new pump leather out of wet-formed leather scrap, or convert to an updated, new-old-stock o-ring conversion offered by a firm here in the States.  The conversion costs about USD$25, including shipping.

Either of these might be attractive solutions if the pressure gauge were still accurate.  I have gotten by for years using a correction factor, but recently the accumulator-tank valve has also begun to malfunction so when I disconnect the chuck, the handle rockets upward with great force till the pressure dissipates.  All this is moving me toward a new pump.   ;)  I liked the old Medai 'cos it was heavy and built for stout and for many years, parts were readily available as it was sold under a number of other labels.

Can any of you recommend a good floor pump that is reliable, long-lived, and has an accurate air pressure gauge?  It would be nice but not essential if the gauge were mounted high for easy visibility.  It would also also be nice if replacement parts are available.  And if it were made of metal. 

Thanks!

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Recommendations for a good floor pump with pressure gauge?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 11:11:57 pm »
I use a Joe Blow Pro:

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/JoeBlowPro

It seems solid enough - I've had it maybe 6 years and had no problems at all. I got it because it comes with a Dunlop valve adapter and my crazy Dutch city bike came with Dunlop valves! I haven't checked the gauge's accuracy... I hope it isn't too far off, it's what I use!

Jim

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 11:17:30 pm »
Jim, thanks; that looks really promising.  It has a polished aluminum barrel, a high-mounted gauge, and a nice "smart" chuck.  I *really* like the air-release button to get the pressure spot-on.  6 years' use with no problems bodes well. 

Well worth a look!

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 12:37:30 am »
Can any of you recommend a good floor pump that is reliable, long-lived, and has an accurate air pressure gauge?  It would be nice but not essential if the gauge were mounted high for easy visibility.  It would also also be nice if replacement parts are available.  And if it were made of metal. 

Thanks!

Dan.

There is only one pump that meets your specifications, and the gauge is low-mounted; I wear spectacles and I find it good enough. It is the SKS Rennkompressor. It is what racing teams use.

I probably pump tyres twelve times a year, on a monthly schedule (my bikes all have puncture proof tyres), so it is overkill for me, but I just can't be bothered with tools that don't work, and I had several pumps that didn't work from the beginning, or soon after they were bought. The Rennkompressor, with which I bought enough spare parts to leave to grandchildren, has been going half a century and, after a redesign a few years ago that left it untouched except for adding some more modern chucks to the selection, seems set for that long again.

You don't need to buy spares as I did; they're widely available.

On advice from people who prefer the screw-on chuck because that's what they're used to, who said that they thought my hands a bit soft for the metal chuck, I bought the most modern EVA fliplock chuck. It works very nicely for me, thank you.

The pump is tall enough to be a pleasure to use even for those no longer in the first flush of youth. (Forgive me if this is an unnecessary note, but shortarse garage pumps are an unnecessary irritation to some of us.)

I've already forgotten the stiff price in the pleasure of using my Rennkompressor.

I bought mine at http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p18203_Rennkompressor-E-V-A--Standpumpe.html (best price and illustrations here) but it is also available through at my normal "local" parts pusher, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27796, which delivers to the States, and even SJS, not a discounter, appears to have a reasonable price, considering that they're the most likely place to get spare parts for the pump in 15 years or 30: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sks-rennkompressor-floor-pump-prod20131/ There is one extra you might want to look for, a wall clip for the Rennkompressor for a couple of bucks.

I think you can probably take the fact that a bicycle store stocks the Rennkompressor as all the evidence required to include it in The Good Bike Shops!

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
 http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 01:51:13 am »
Ooh!  Now we have a contender for the Topeak Joe Blow Pro! 

Andre, this looks most promising as well, and I have to say...as a traditionalist, I love the industrial design of the SKS.   I ran the link through Google's language blender, and it does indeed look the business.  In fact, it appears the same as one sold under the Zefal Husky label some many years ago (the Husky later changed).

As for the gauge location, I often pump while wearing my multifocal contact lenses.  The problem comes if I am wearing my eyeglasses, as leaning over while pumping, they tend to slip off when I get sweaty.  I am then left with my native nearsightedness, which makes gauge-reading a bit of an adventure as sixes look a lot like eights...and zeros and fives and threes and nines for that matter.  I think I could simply make some bright red tape indicators and stick them to the gauge face for easy reference.  That worked with the Medai, so it isn't a stopper.  It is nice the SKS starts out high, also like the Medai.  I lent my Medai to the college kid down the street, who quickly grew lightheaded and retired from the fight.  I waded in and pounded 9 bar into both his racing bike tires, damaging his ego in the process.  He still waves, but uses his father's electric compressor.  'Never get fit that way....

A quick search at online stores on this side of the Atlantic shows it available for as little as USD$48, which is right in my price range.  My experience with other pumps has been much the same as yours, Andre, so why not get a good one to start with and call it done?  If it lasts as I hope, the amortized cost will be little enough per annum. 

Thanks!

Anyone else care to weigh in before I send off for a Rennkompressor?

With anticipation,

Dan.

Relayer

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 09:19:22 am »
I have owned a Silca track pump for 13 years or so now, it has a metal barrel and a wooden handle, floor level gauge, but spare parts are readily available (I have a spare pump leather which I have not needed to fit yet).  I bought this pump on the recommendation of my LBS at the time who used it in their workshop and they were very happy with it. 

A couple of years ago the rubber in the valve part/attachment started to lose its grip, so I simply replaced it, and so it goes on.

In my opinion it is a beautiful piece of Italian design, and I envisage using it for many years to come.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 04:44:17 pm »
Relayer,

That Silca *is* a beautiful piece of Italian design, *and* the pump barrel is made from a section of genuine Columbus tubing!  I surely like the simplicity and classic design, and the push on-pull off pump head (chuck) is near-legendary for ease-of-use on Presta valves, the only kind used on my bicycles.  I have an electric compressor for airing-up car tires and blowing-off debris around the drill press, electric hacksaw, and holesaws when framebuilding, so the floor pump will be dedicated to bicycle tires.

Your collective suggestions are spot-on to meet my requirements...I'm sure glad I asked.

Three great choices!  Thanks, guys!

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 02:11:40 am »
Well, an SKS Rennkompressor it is! 

A bright orange new one now resides at Danneaux's residence, thanks to a test and subsequent purchase at a local shop.  It is an impressive bit of kit, and if weight alone is any indication, should last as long as reputed.  As a bonus, it was only USD$3 more than at the cheapest online source with postage included, and I got to support a local merchant. so yay all 'round!

I pumped up the tandem tires a moment ago, and am amazed at how steady the gauge is and how smooth the action after the decrepit Medai.  As is often the case after living with something awhile, I now realize how long-gone the Medai really was.  I hate to admit it, but I now think almost anything newer would have been a real improvement.

Besides the steady gauge, smooth action, and long hose, I really like SKS' implementation of a "Smart Head".  It seals perfectly on a presta valve and loses nary a puff on removal.  Impressive!  Being orange makes it easy to find amidst the mass of bike stuff in the garage.  I kind of wish the markings on the gauge came in finer increments, but I do not think it will be a problem as I always double-check the pump gauge with a hand monometer that reads more finely, so it should be fine.  This seems to be a common characteristic among high-pressure pumps, as there is only so much real estate on the gauge to print the numbers and markings.

While looking at the Rennkompressor, I noticed SKS had a seemingly updated, somewhat more expensive model with the gauge mounted near the top of a teardrop-shaped barrel.  I was sore tempted, but figured the gauge might not be worth much after a topple-over from its half-meter perch.  Also, while it had a solid weighted base, the foot pads did not fold, and it would have been harder to store and carry.  Nice looking, but I believe I got the one better suited to my needs and with a long-established track record of reliability and spare parts.

Thanks so much to everyone who weighed in with their own experiences and preferences.  You made my selection so much easier by narrowing the universe of possibilities to three good examples, any one of which would have met my needs very nicely, I am sure.

Best,

Dan.

slim

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 11:56:46 am »
Dan, I've picked up a lot of information from your posts and thanks to everyone's input I've added a Rennkompressor to my wish list.
As your question has now been settled I thought it might be OK to head off on a tangent - optimum tyre pressure?

Until a day or 2 ago I went with the max figure on the side of the tyre. The bike rolled well, but hard on the point of contact.
On reading Thorn's updated price list / brochure I noticed this:

I've followed the advice and as would be expected there has been a vast improvement in comfort. On the other hand my regular commutes take circa 10% longer and the bike is noticeably harder to wind up.

I would be interested to learn how others have arrived at an optimum tyre pressure.

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 02:05:26 pm »
Some here in the States follow this philosophy for pressure.
http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

I however usually run higher pressure than cited by the article in the rear, I consider these values to be a minimum.  I usually use about one atmosphere less in the front than in the rear.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 06:12:05 pm »
Hi Slim,

Thanks for the kind words.   While I am not an engineer, my doctorate and profession are in the field of analysis, measurement and research methodology, and I find the topic fascinating...probably to a point far exceeding the general interest of this forum, so I took it off-list some time ago and have been engaged in an extensive correspondence generating lots of links.  If you would like, I would be glad to forward my part in this discussion to you.  Tire pressure has long been a topic of interest and some dogma for cyclists as well as manufacturers, but evidence is emerging to indicate recent trends ("recent" in terms of the history of cycling) toward ever higher tire pressures may well have topped-out in terms of overall benefit.  This is particularly so in terms of bicycles intended for trekking and heavy touring, and especially so in the case of higher-pressure touring tires mounted on narrow, lightweight rims originally intended for mountain bike use instead of touring.

Here is is an excerpt from some correspondence generated by me that relates directly to your concern and speaks to Thorn's warnings of possible rim failure due to excessive pressures...
--------------------
...This whole matter of tire pressure is particularly important for trekking and expedition touring bicycles with 26" wheels.  When those bikes are carrying a heavy load, it becomes even more important because the pressures must be higher to support the extra weight.  How can this be?

Here is the answer:  Many of the 26" rims used on touring/trekking bicycles were originally intended for mountain bikes (MTBs or ATBs), cross-country or even racing mountain bicycles, which use wide tires operated at fairly low pressure for maximum traction and comfort.  Many of these rims are also very narrow to save weight. Mounting wide MTB tires on narrow rims is generally not a problem because the tires use low pressures.  Modern hook-bead rims make this possible by securely retaining the tire bead.  "Back in the day" of straight-sided rims, the tire would have simple rolled off when cornering or perhaps lofted off the rim during inflation.

Touring and trekking tires operate at much higher pressures than MTB tires.  When a wide _touring_or_trekking_ tire is mounted and operated at high or even excessive pressure, it places a great strain on a narrow rim, and many touring cyclists have literally blown their rims apart.  There is ample photographic evidence of this on the Internet.  The rims split down the center because wide tire sidewalls create outward leverage on the rim sides under high pressure and push them apart.  This can be avoided by using appropriate pressures for the actual load being carried and by using a wider rim. It is the reason why I chose the Rigida Andra rim option to use with the Schwalbe Dureme 2.0 tires on my Sherpa, which will be carrying heavy loads on very poor roads.  I could not afford the CSS ceramic coated Rigida Andra, but the regular model is the same design.  I wanted the extra margin of safety and toughness and durability, even though it is heavy.  It is strong in this application _because_ it is wider and heavy and because by design it has more material to reinforce it against breakage down the middle and on the sidewalls to wear longer under braking.  This can easily be seen in Rigida's cross-section profiles comparing their Andra and Grizzly rims.

Splitting rims due to tire pressure almost never happens on 700C tires because the tire and the rim are much closer in size.  Most people never use a tire wider than 32mm or 35mm or perhaps 38mm on a 700C touring bicycle.  Nearly every 700C touring bike uses touring rims, which are wider than racing rims.  For example, my randonneur bike uses 700C Mavic MA2 rims.  Those rims will reliably _retain_ tires 42-45mm wide, but the loads placed by such tires on that relatively narrow rim would be excessive if operated at higher pressures, so I have always taken care to run tires no wider than 32mm in cross-section on them at appropriate pressures.  It is a matter of appropriate application.

...My own cycling life changed in a positive way by applying principles described in a 1989  _Bicycling_ magazine article on the topic, authored by technical editor Frank Berto.  He distilled his interviews with bicycle tire engineers at Michelin (French) and National (Japanese) companies and presented them in both written and graphic chart formats that formed the basis for later work on the subject by Seattle resident Jan Heine.  ...Schwalbe, apart from many other suppliers, have been good to recognize no single pressure fits all applications, and publishes charts showing ranges of pressures for each tire size in their line, albeit uncorrected for mass and application and contains no specific recommendations for percentage of rim drop as a consequence of load-pressure-section width relationships.
--------------------
Perhaps a separate topic dedicated to the matter of tire pressures, drop, and appropriate rim-tire matching under pneumatic load would make future discussions more easily searched in the archives?  I fear deeper discussions of related matters, such as pneumatic trail, could be hard to find under a topic title dedicated to pump selection.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 05:07:10 am »
Well, an SKS Rennkompressor it is! 

A bright orange new one now resides at Danneaux's residence, thanks to a test and subsequent purchase at a local shop. 

Congratulations, Dan, you're now a wannabe racer, complete with orange Rennkompessor! All you need is a checked merino wool cycling jersey.

You did well not to buy the "more modern" SKS track pump; most of those -- the one you tried sounds like the "Airbase" -- are efforts to replace the Rennkompressor with a model that can be engineered less expensively. (Wood and leather, intrinsically cheap, become an expensive nuisance to a modern business because they require special allocations of labour and attention that cost inordinately amounts in relation to what can be charged for the parts.) None of the supposed substitutes work as well, nor can be expected to survive as long, as the genuine article, with implications for the availability of spare parts a decade or two hence, though admittedly SKS has a superb reputation for spare parts availability.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 05:48:00 am »
Andre,

You know the tipping point that pushed me toward the Rennkompressor?

Seeing the little marks on the ends of the wooden handle where it had been held in the center while being lathe-turned.

Made me melt.   :D

I did neatly tape on some small squares of matching black Grab-On foam padding atop the handles, 'cos I otherwise bruise my hands when occasionally bottoming out on the downstroke (otherwise, I'd wear my cycling gloves while pumping).  Well worth it, though; this thing is a beaut!  It has some real heft, too.  As my grandfather would have said, "The weight of Quality".  You know you've made a good purchase when you find yourself going back out to the garage just to admire it....

Thanks for the recommendation, Andre.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 06:49:49 am »
Nothing but a pleasure, Dan, both making the recommendation and reading about your delight in your new pump. I'm definitely a toolfonder, a fellow who buys the best tools not because my use can justify the cost but because I like handing good tools. We should start a club...

I've made a thread elsewhere that address points raised by Slim and you further up this thread, but taken to the extreme:
In praise of riding low pressure tyres fast
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3798.0

Ride tall.

Andre

slim

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 10:34:58 pm »
Thanks Dan and Mickeg - great information.
Never saw myself as a bike pump fetishist, but must admit that the Rennkompressor has a certain allure.
I'll follow Andre's new thread with great interest.