Author Topic: Catskills Nomad  (Read 109902 times)

jags

Re: Catskills Nomad
« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2013, 11:51:21 am »
thats a tent and a half  ;)
great photo's tough looking country for cycling. :o

il padrone

« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2013, 01:03:52 pm »
The Oodnadatta Track.

Yes it was a rough, corrugated road in some places.... no, many places. We were often able to pick a smooth line - most often on the right side of the road (wrong  side here in Aus). The good thing about riding it is that it is generally very flat terrain, and we were heading north. In winter the prevailing winds are southerlies, for days on end  ;)

Long distances between really tiny places. We left Marree (pop. 70), three and a half days ride -200kms - to William Creek (pop. 3) then another three days ride - 200kms - to Oodnadatta (pop. 280). Oodnadatta has the delights of the Pink Roadhouse  ;)

And gorgeous sunsets

Sorry for going so much OT  :-X

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2013, 11:23:20 pm »
Went out for a ride at the end of the day, as the light was fading. Coming fast down a steep little hill into town... at the bottom there was a car about to make a left, about to cross my lane. But they didn't make the smallest move, waiting instead for me to go by. This is really when all the investment in lighting etc. pays off!

By the time I got the camera, my lights were out, but all the reflectors show up good with flash:

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #213 on: February 18, 2013, 11:25:32 pm »
Interesting to observe - by now, all those little spoke reflectors have pretty much got stuck in place. At first they would slide down the spokes if the bike was stationary or very slow. But the photo shows, they all look stuck out at the rim.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #214 on: July 28, 2013, 05:17:34 pm »
Seemed like the new VP-191 pedals called for a photo:

6921 miles on the odometer, but I didn't get that until about 6 months after I got the bike, so probably more like 7500 miles total. A fine sturdy machine!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #215 on: July 28, 2013, 06:12:39 pm »
A "fine sturdy machine" indeed, Jim, and may I add...very nice-looking as well!

Of course, I dearly love all bicycles, but there's a special place in my heart for those that have been and are being *used*. They reflect their owner's personality and development over time, and show the patina of use. I love seeing how yours is setup and how it looks "ready for anything", Jim! It really has seen some significant use, and with very little if any real "failures" except for a frayed cable -- and even that let you still ride in at least one gear, and didn't prove hard to repair.

The black-and-silver theme is well-executed here, and the nice new pedals fit right in and look good as well.

Yes, it is always wonderful seeing your bike and hearing about your latest adventures together in what is really a very picturesque part of America. Thanks for sharing, Jim!

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #216 on: July 28, 2013, 07:20:33 pm »
Excellent photo Jim and no mean miles  i havent much more on the sherpa. a lot more on the raleigh but i do have it  near enough 30 years  ;D ;D
thanks for the photo class bike .

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #217 on: September 08, 2013, 08:41:26 pm »
A little trial run today. Loaded up pretty close to a complete camping kit - tent, sleeping bag, bear canister (!), cook stove, etc. Not much food and not much extra clothing, so probably still short a few kilos, but not much.

Pulled out the scale: me = 170 lb, bike = 40 lb, luggage = 45 lb. So that's 255 total. Probably my routine load is 20 lb and another 10 lb often enough. I bet I have been considerable over 45 lb with some of my grocery runs. Anyway I just rode 20 miles and no monster hills but the whole set-up felt very good.

I stopped at Wilson State Campground - $2 walk-in day use fee - and parked myself at a picnic bench for a short spell. Pulled out the Trangia stove and boiled myself a cup of tea - my first time trying the Trangia. Yup, delightfully simple and plenty fast!

I am hoping to do an overnight in the next month or so... though I have some tight work deadlines. But even if it gets a bit later... the campgrounds will be closed, but that's not a total stop.

jags

« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2013, 08:59:57 pm »
Brilliant set up jim, bet that cuppa tasted the  best ever. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #219 on: September 08, 2013, 09:00:45 pm »
Simply wonderful, Jim, and the loaded bike looks so good!

I'm really hoping you can get out and do some camping with it -- same hope for myself. Fall is approaching and with it some lovely days in the mix and color on the trees with crisp, cool nights and morning fogs (here at present, anyway).

<nods> Alcohol (meths) stoves are plenty fun, aren't they? I love my little pressurized beer-can stove and it is a regular part of my day-touring kit so I can stop and make a spot of tea or head water for instant soup.

Looking forward to more!

All the best,

Dan.

Neil Jones

« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2013, 06:53:30 pm »
Got to say Jim that Nomad of yours looks a beauty, thanks for posting.
Hope you manage to get away for an overnighter. I too have a Trangia, they're great little stoves, simple but effective and best of all virtually silent.
Neil

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #221 on: November 27, 2013, 03:29:03 am »
Maintenance day! Flipped the rear sprocket after about 8000 miles.

Something had been feeling a little crunchy back there & flipping seems to have helped.

Then I put on the studded winter tires and also tightened up the EBB. Then the hub oil. A little ride to run the cleaning oil around:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/225969167

Then the required tea while the old oil drains!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #222 on: November 27, 2013, 04:07:05 am »
Very nice, Jim. Please, can I have a piece of the pumpkin pie?  ;D

Cold, cold day for the cleaning-oil run -- my!

Congratulations on your 8,000 miles.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2013, 11:34:54 am »
i'll be there in an hour keep the kettle boiling.

Neil Jones

« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2013, 12:51:30 pm »
Jim, you are obviously a man with impeccable taste, a Thorn owner and a Yorkshire Tea drinker. My sprocket looks in similar condition to yours (Mine's done 8200 miles), I'll reverse it when I do the annual oil change early in the new year. Glad you are still enjoying your Nomad, it looks great.