Author Topic: Catskills Nomad  (Read 109905 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Catskills Nomad
« Reply #195 on: December 02, 2012, 08:25:08 pm »
Jim in you unlucky enough to  have a fall God forbid, that rear light is history,

Yeah, I took a good look at the light on the bike... you're right, jags, that thing is really exposed. Oh well, if it goes then it goes.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #196 on: December 02, 2012, 08:56:23 pm »
Tell me about the front and rear flaps please.

Dan turned me on to these folks:

http://www.buddyflaps.com/shootingstar_reflective.htm

Not so easy to mount these things straight - you really have to get your holes drilled in just the right places! But they work good enough even when they're crooked.

I've just had these a year or so if my memory is working, but they don't show any wear at all.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2012, 03:32:08 am »
i had one similar to that it was just that bit  wider than the rack

Just for the record... that's a DToplight Plus. I measure it to be about 115 mm wide. The Thorn rack is 135 mm wide. So the rack is a cm wider on each side.

Whether that'll save the rear light if/when the bike lands on its side... is probably pretty far down on the list of the things I'll worry about in that case!

Ha! Did I tell this story already... back probably August 2011 or so... I was trying one of my early attempts to find a road marked on a map but that didn't really quite exist (anymore?). This was the link between Jockey Hill Rd and Morey Hill Rd. There is a photo many pages up on this thread from that ride.

I was riding south on Jockey Hill Rd. looking for the obscure linking road. Jockey Hill Rd. itself seemed to come to an end. but parked in the cul de sac were several cars with bike racks and then maybe 8 or 10 good fellows with beers and mountain bikes. Well, hello there, can I get from here somehow over to Morey Hill Rd?

These good fellows try to be helpful. Oh, sure, just, uh, yeah, the third puddle, or is it the second, go left, or straight, or... sure no problem. So I just get back going and head up the embankment... kaboom, over I go, the first like three feet. These fellows are kind, nobody laughs, but I am sure I was blushing. I just get back up again and keep going. Another ten feet and some helpful soul shouts after me: You have GPS, right? Ha, still not quite yet! I did get over to Morey Hill Rd... eventually! Amazing that I didn't rip off my rear light connector on that adventure... plenty of absurd terrain there too! But hey at least the rear light itself didn't shatter. Yet!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2012, 04:16:08 am »
... kaboom, over I go, the first like three feet.
No worries, Jim; we've all been there at one time or another. I find I have sometimes found trouble by attempting to ride a too-steep slope, *especially* if I have traction. The rear tires digs in, my weight transfers rearward no matter how far I lean forward and...front-over-back I've gone. It sure is a blow to pride! No harm, though, so long as I and the bike have escaped injury. I did manage to badly scrape/bruise a knee one time, then had to ride home 34 miles with it opening on every stroke of the pedals -- pretty often at my hummingbird-like cadence. Ow. As a reminder, it must've worked, as it has been a number of years since I was caught out, but one never knows. All part of the Adventure!

Jim, when I toured the NL and BE with my Dutch friend who owned the same taillight, he found the red lens would pop loose if the bike toppled over, saving it from more outright damage. A simple re-snapping and off he would go. Unfortunately, if he didn't get it fully on, it would pop off on its own. so if yours does...make sure it is firmly snapped shut with the little tabs fully engaged around the lens perimeter.

I remember seeing these lights on the rear racks of Dutch bikes, protected by wire guards. B&M have made something like this for their rear mudguard-mounted lights, but these were for the rack-mounted models, and were black. Hmm. I'll make some inquiries and if I get a reply, I'll be sure to pass it on for your consideration. I remember asking at the time and being told they were faily cheap -- around €5.

Your bike is looking very nice, as always, Jim; thanks for keeping the Catskills Nomad thread going!

All the best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2012, 07:18:15 pm »
Lights and studded tires are both useful around here these days!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2012, 07:26:49 pm »
...and your wheel reflector is not a bad idea, either, Jim! The bike is looking very nice indeed; nothing like those winter tires to make it a no-nonsense machine, however. Looks "bad" which the little neighbor boy (the one who is still convinced I am Batman) assures me is very, very "good"!

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:17:25 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2012, 07:35:04 pm »
CLASS  ;)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #202 on: January 01, 2013, 06:07:45 pm »
How many miles do I need in my legs to fly like jags? Might as well start the new year with a few!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #203 on: January 01, 2013, 07:03:31 pm »
"Don't forget your gloves when you leave, Jim!"  :D

Wonderful shot of an intrepid, accomplished rider and a fantastic bicycle. The snow's not bad, either!  Good on ya, Jim!

A very nice photo and a *great* way to start 2013.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #204 on: January 01, 2013, 07:53:23 pm »
excellent great photo jim but be careful ;)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2013, 08:30:08 pm »
My sweetheart is taking a photography class so the Fearless Nomad and I got to be subjects today (photo by Wendy Harding):

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2013, 09:38:30 pm »
Very nice, Jim! Tell your sweetie she did a fine job!

All the best,

Dan. (...who thinks there's no bad photos starring Thorn bikes and riders)

il padrone

« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2013, 01:25:28 am »
Cool shot! I had a similar photo idea, different environment though. Self-taken while riding on the Stuart Highway, Central Australia, just after sun-rise.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:28:28 am by il padrone »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2013, 02:46:43 am »
Central Australia,

Wow, there is a lot of space out there!

il padrone

« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2013, 06:54:38 am »
Yes, a lot of space and not much water.

Campsite at Duff Creek, SA.