Author Topic: Catskills Nomad  (Read 109900 times)

RA1

Re: Catskills Nomad
« Reply #240 on: August 15, 2014, 07:01:44 pm »
Jim
I rarely post  - just read a lot! (sounds better than lurking)
But I did want to say how impressed I am by the distance you've travelled on your Nomad.
I'm one of those who spends far too much time pondering which bike best suits what task -  I reckon there's a lot to be said for just getting out on your bike and enjoying the ride...something which so clearly comes through in what you share on the forum.
Thanks for the inspiration!
Bob

David Simpson

« Reply #241 on: August 15, 2014, 11:33:13 pm »
Congratulations on reaching the 10K milestone, Jim. I hope you have many more good miles on your Nomad (and photos to share with us).

- Dave

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2014, 06:14:36 pm »
Curious how things evolve! I got an ABUS 6100 folding combination lock maybe a year ago. I'd ridden to Woodstock & when I got there I discovered that I had dropped my U-Lock key - ach, together with a pit-lock key! - somewhere along the way. I had a bunch of errands in town so I really needed a lock. I stopped by the Local Bike Shop and this seemed like the most suitable new lock. I have come to like the lock a lot - a reasonable balance of convenience and security (I hope!).

Then someone here posted about the advantages of a water bottle with a cover over the opening. I started noticing the grit in my mouth when I'd take a drink. The mind is an amazing... whatever it is! So I got a couple Thermos Intak bottles - just something I saw around that looked decent.

I'd been strapping the ABUS lock holder to my bike's down tube, where it'd hang just above the lower bottle holder. But these Thermos Intak bottles are a bit taller than the bottles I'd been using. The lock would push the bottle out a bit where it would hit the fender. Hmmm.

So today I swapped things around a bit. I moved the pump to the side of the down tube, mounting it using the same bosses as the upper bottle holder. Then the ABUS lock holder got moved back behind the seat tube, where I'd been keeping the pump. I switched to zip ties for the lock holder - the heavy nylon webbing it comes with is fun enough, but too thick to go under the bottle holder, plus the strap ends tend to dangle and threatened to foul the drive train.

I thought about switching to a frame lock. But the 6100 is what I have and my partner and I have this wild idea that if we conserve funds a bit, maybe we could do a bit of traveling? The Amparo and the 6100 both have security ratings of 9, so ... what's that motto? Make Do, that's enough for now!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2014, 06:17:20 pm »
I'm thinking I may switch that pump around and carry it with the base on top. I figure I should probably fasten it at the center of gravity to reduce vibration. The CG is probably closer to the base. Plus if that thing slowly slides down from the jostling, the base will provide a firm stop.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2014, 07:19:10 pm »
Looks very nice, Jim!

Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #245 on: November 05, 2014, 07:25:25 pm »
Sure enough, I was out riding today and could tell, that pump was just slowly sliding down. So my bright idea: wrap a bit of reflective tape around the pump. Provides a stop to limit the sliding. Probably makes the pump a little less tempting to steal. And adds a bit of visibility.

Definitely not summer any more, my camera decided to use flash in the middle of the day! But it does give a sense of the reflective bits on the bike!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:31:37 pm by JimK »

jags

« Reply #246 on: November 05, 2014, 08:57:32 pm »
tree in way. ::)

John Saxby

« Reply #247 on: November 05, 2014, 10:09:55 pm »
Your Nomad brightens up the late-fall landscape, Jim!  Just back from a short ride into the Gatineau this afternoon -- no cars, as the parkways are now closed :-) -- and the feeling is much the same.  Wintry sky overhead as I came home, so I switched on my lights fore and aft.  Saw & heard a big V of geese overhead earlier this week, heading south -- guess winter really is coming, eh?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2015, 09:23:32 pm »
I hereby declare that winter is over! Anyway I put my chips down on that space, come what may. I pulled off the studded tires and put on some new 47mm Marathon Racers. I just went out for a short shakedown ride... it was wonderful to have those studs off! They're always a bit skittish on pavement. But just a couple days ago I was up a back road that was covered in ice, so I was happy enough to have the studs then! I'll just wait another few weeks to go back up such a remote road!

Not just new tires though... yeah, a decent cleaning too, but also: a chainglider! A new Surly steel chainring, a new KMC Z610HX, a new Rohloff sprocket... my old chain was really nasty! At least it wasn't squeaking! Now, though... I must say, on my first little ride, I can't tell the chainglider is there at all. So far seems really good!

Putting on the new chain, of course I had to readjust the EBB. I noticed it was a bit stiff in the frame, & remembered some recent talk about somebody's getting stuck in the frame. Would rather avoid that! So I had the bike upside down and dribbled a fair amount of copper grease down those two holes, then moved the EBB around a fair amount to distribute the grease. That did seem to free things up pretty well.

One challenge - will all that grease down there, I couldn't use my usual trick for reusing indents. The grease was thick enough that it hid the existing indents. So I had to go by feel. I snugged down one of the grub bolts very loosely. Then I over-tightened the chain, and then started loosening up the chain slowly as I kept a bit of torque on the grub bolt. I could feel when the bolt came to the first indent - all of a sudden the bolt freed up and I could easily snug it down a couple turns. Then, yeah, pull out the torque wrench and snug both bolts down to 10 Nm.   

Now, to ride!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2015, 10:07:59 pm »
Very nice, Jim, and all is looking great.

Seeing the new reflective stripes on the tire sidewalls is like getting a new pair of trainers for summer as a kid -- all new and fresh and ready to go!

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #250 on: March 28, 2015, 04:11:41 pm »
Very smart, Jim, and Very Modern too, with the 'glider 'n' all.  It looks right at home, and I'm glad it's unobtrusive, as advertised.

Look forward to your report on the 47 mm Marathon Racers on the Nomad.  I installed a pair of 700 x 35s [actual inflated width 32mm] on my Eclipse derailleur bike last fall and on a brief ride of a couple of hours through the city, along the river & the canal, they felt very nice, a step up from my Vittoria Randonneur Pro's (which had served my well.)

Pleased to hear that you can declare that spring has reached the Catskills.  We're still waiting...This really is the latest spring I can remember, at least 3-4 weeks late, and we're still 10 degrees below "normal" low temps.  As an act of faith and defiance, I did my first 2015 ride (a very short one) on the Raven just this past week. Will post some photos and a report on winter tweaks.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #251 on: March 28, 2015, 05:49:49 pm »
spring has reached the Catskills. 

Snow here again today! But it's a touch above freezing and it doesn't look like enough to accumulate. Unwelcome all the same!

Neil Jones

« Reply #252 on: March 28, 2015, 08:00:58 pm »
It's always nice to see your Nomad Jim, it just seems so well proportioned, Chainglider suits it too.

I now use your tips for adjusting the eccentric bottom bracket and it's paid dividends, no more screw indentations running into previous grooves.

Regards,
Neil

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2015, 10:22:52 am »
Hi Jim.
Great pictures. Good tip on the EBB.
I see from the previous picture taken in the woods you have secured that tree pretty good. Nice chain n lock!
Don't want anyone running off with tree. ;)
 Matt
And Spring has sprung at last here in Scotland.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

in4

« Reply #254 on: March 29, 2015, 10:44:41 am »
Sate my curiousity Jim: How have you got that Carradice saddle bag attached to your sprung Brooks? I have a camper long flap and am exploring ways to attach it to my sprung Brooks, a Conquest. Is that an sqr fitting I can see?

Thanks

Ian