Author Topic: Drops and Rohloff  (Read 20402 times)

Sprocket

Re: Drops and Rohloff
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2004, 10:03:34 pm »
There is a cunning home made shifter at www.qnet.com/ ~crux/twist.html
It is made in two halves, then assembled round the bars. Making the twistgrip in two halves makes more sense to me than making the bars in two halves

luceberg

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2004, 02:19:46 am »
Huh!....What's Qnet.com got to do with shifters? or am I missing something...

Sprocket

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2004, 11:16:44 am »
Sorry, I don't know how that happened. It's on a site hosted by Qnet.I thought that link should take you straight to the photo. Try http://www.qnet.com/~crux/index.html which should go to the sites homepage, then click on bicycle shifter. If that doesn't work, I don't know what. Cheers.

Team Triplet

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2004, 12:44:49 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

Rohloff Drop Bar Sneak Peak!

From a touring view point, the current work around of the second mini bar below the handlebar, see http://homepage.ntlworld.com/team-triplet/TTSite/exp1.htm and scroll towards to the end, works alot better.

The disadvantage from the proto type shot is that the gear changer takes up space where one would normally fit speedo, bell and bar bag.  Bell and speedo could go eslewhere but there is only one place for a bar bag!.

One advantage of the work around used by Thorn at present is that you create additional space.  

Both methods will accept cantis, despite the initial non fitting of cantis on my Exp, looking the head tube and cable alignment/bar bag etc a front canti would be possible if there is gap as I have between the mini bar and the frame head tube.

new bike commuter

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2004, 12:09:17 am »
At the Cycle Show in Islington there is both the Raven Mercury - drops + rohloff on (thin) drop bars - and a Raven with (standard size) drops but gear change located on a stub just below the drops.  The Mercury looks more elegant but I was told that that to make it work the bar is cut in two and then clamped - so perhaps less rigid that the alternative with a single bar.  In any case, both offer Rohloff + drops.  Presumably the website will soon show these alternatives - a revised price list for the Raven at the show does list a specific price for drops.

Ashley

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2004, 12:42:59 am »
An overdue apology.
At the time of posting a reply to brownbs@xtra.co.nz I intended it to be light hearted. However, having returned to the forum after some time, I am embarrassed to read my reply that appears to arrogantly dismiss a genuine enquiry for information in what is otherwise a helpful and friendly forum. I sincerely hope that brownbs was not offended by my reply and that he will comtinue to contribute to the forum.

Regards

Ashley

LowFlyingHawk

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2004, 10:12:47 am »
I wouldn't be too concerned Ashley.  Those Kiwis are a pretty resilient lot - provided that you don't make fun of their accent.  [:D]

Ashley

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2004, 05:02:58 pm »
Thanks LowFlyingHawk. Going back to the Rohloff / drops thread, although I am unsure about the smaller diameter bars, it looks to be a reasonable compromise - a Rohloff drop bar specific shifter would be ideal.... failing that the Thorn is an elegant solution that could allow the fitting of shock absorbing tape, such as Marsas, making a nice comfy ride.
However, I agree with the comment by Team Triplet though, that it is nice to have a handlebar bag - it's always comforting on a long ride to know that you have a bag of goodies within arms reach!
Happy Riding.

bandgap

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2004, 04:23:55 pm »
I made up a little stub the same diameter as the bars which clamped on the bars next to the stem.

It pointed downwards and outwards - by around 30 degrees as I remember - putting the standard shifter a short reach from the dropped position and not too fat from the tops.

I only stopped using it because the (custom) frame is a bit long and I have swapped to mountain bike bars.

Ratty

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2005, 11:51:28 pm »
I have wanted a rohloff hub with drops for years but on the advice of Robin Thorn I tried the comfort bars for my adventure sport.

While I miss my drop bars very much (2 positions including extensions instead of three, less variations within basic positions) I agree with him that lots of the advantages of the Rohloff hub are lost if you do not have constant access to the gear changer.

IMHO there is not a perfect solution for drops + Rohloff yet.

Jitensha

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2005, 09:55:33 am »
Hi,

Going back to an earlier point made by  brownbs@xtra.co.nz on this thread some months ago, I recently met a long distance cyclist in Laos who had a triple chainring set-up up front and a Rohloff hub for a total of 42 gears. Said he loved it. He's put about 30,000km's on the hub with absolutely no problems, except broken cables twice.

Incidently he had something like Modolo Yuma handlebars but I didn't even think to look close enough at the gear changer, but I'm fairly sure it was built in neatly to the bar. I think I would have paid more attention if it was conspicious but everything looked very neat. His bike was built around an old Trek frame. He had it heavily modified to his own needs. Also he couldn't have praised the hub more highly.

dodger

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2005, 05:43:14 pm »
My cycling accomplishments are limited in two major ways: (i) my genes and (ii) the likelihood that I will only cycle on American soil. I also have an ardent love for technology which is manifested in all kinds of ways, including carbon-fibre handlebars. In spite of these handicaps, I enjoy a good fast-paced ride and a fair number of brevets/audax rides. The reason for this post is that I am planning to build an audax bike around the Rohloff hub, and I am still trying to decide how to mount the shifter.

My latest problem (one on a very long list) is that I am not willing at this point to use so-called comfort bars. I much prefer drops for a variety of reasons (e.g., multiple hand positions and aerodynamics). I also attach a small handlebar bag on occasion. This means that it is unlikely I will mount the Rohloff shifter in the way it was originally designed -- on the bar next to the grips.

I think the Thorn headset spacer/accessory bar is a nifty idea, and likely the method I will use. I also came across a bar-end adapter from HUbBub (http://www.hubbub.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=HUROHL) but this seems to create a problem relative to the cable runs. It is also overpriced at USD$55.

Is there anyone on this board using either the Thorn mount or the HubBub adapter? If so, what has been your experience? Lastly, because I am somewhat open minded in spite of my wife's opinion to the contrary, has anyone successfully mounted a handlebar bag to a comfort bar with the Rohloff shifter? If so, to what extent does the bag interfere with your shifting?

Thanks for your help...

PS - Is anyone using "moustache" bars? (see http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16027.html)

dodger

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2005, 06:43:19 pm »
I thought I would reply to my prior post, in the interest of bringing closure to the questions I posed: (i) the bike is being used primarily for brevets and audax events/training; (ii) I decided to use the Thorn headset spacer/accessory bar to mount the shifter; (iii) I am right handed, so the shifter is on the right side; (iv) my cycle computer is on the left side; (v) this leaves my handlebars free to mount a bag if needed for longer rides; (vi) I am not sure how to mount a cue sheet holder, as it obstructs my reach to the shifter; (vii) the location of the shifter makes it very easy to use -- my only objection besides the cue sheet mount is that the location makes it impossible for me to shift while climbing out of the saddle, something I enjoy with Ergo shifters.

I greatly prefer drops to so-called 'comfort bars' due to: (i) greater variety of hand placement options; (ii) aerodynamic improvements and leverage for riding into the wind; (iii) perceived increases in stability when riding in the drops at speed (e.g., +50mph on Colorado descents); (iv) ability to grab the brake hoods while climbing; (v) option to mount a handlebar bag for long events.

There you have it. Please feel free to disagree with any or all of my observations. This is simply what works for me.

dodger

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2005, 06:50:47 pm »
Important note: I used a 0.5cm spacer between the Thorn accessory bar and my stem. My stem is flipped to provide no additional height extension (e.g., -18 degrees, I can flip it if additional height is needed later). This provides enough room for my fingers to fit between the shifter and the handlebar, but I have thin fingers. Judge the spacing yourself to determine your needs. Also, the Thorn accessory bar functions as a 1.5 (?) cm spacer. Be sure to consider the cumulative effect of this when determining length of your fork tube and the height of your stem/handlebars.

Nick Payne

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2006, 05:37:18 am »
I've been using a Rohloff on my tourer with drop bars since about 2001. I have a web page showing the setup at http://www.users.on.net/~njpayne/bikestuff/rohloff/.

I've never tried the shifter on flat bars but I'm quite satisfied with the setup I have.

Hubbub in the US now manufacture an adapter which is very similar to what I made, except that theirs uses the same internal expanding clamping mechanism as a normal barend shifter.