Author Topic: Drops and Rohloff  (Read 20403 times)

lornac

Drops and Rohloff
« on: June 28, 2004, 11:49:25 am »
Is there any truth in rumour that Thorn have now developed drops compatible with Rohloff hub gear without use of ugly extra stem etc?

Other thought re Rohloff : could it it be modified to fit a bespoke bottom bracket, to centralise weight distribution?

Colin

Re: Drops and Rohloff
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 10:04:40 pm »
Have a look at the German manufacturer Norwid's site. They produce a drop bar and a drop bar threadless stem, either of which accomodate a Rohloff shifter. I think I've seen the stem advertised in some German on-line shops.

http://www.norwid.de/Drehgriff_Flyer.jpg

The same (or similar) drop bar was also used by M-Gingineering:

http://www.m-gineering.nl/randog.htm

Colin

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 09:02:36 am »
quote:
Originally posted by lornac

Is there any truth in rumour that Thorn have now developed drops compatible with Rohloff hub gear without use of ugly extra stem etc?

Other thought re Rohloff : could it it be modified to fit a bespoke bottom bracket, to centralise weight distribution?

Hi,

Contact Robin Thorn on 01278 441522 for the full options.

Frenchie

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 10:22:21 am »
I am interested in that as well... Any chance of an update on the forum?

Ashley

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 04:03:33 pm »
Wouldn't that just be the ideal bicycle! A superb hub on a great frame with drops and a compatible shifter. Surely Rohloff have considered the possiblity of such a shifter. If they can design something as complex as a 14 speed hub that works so well, then why not a shifter for drop bars? Maybe the World's best bicycle shop can come up with an elegant solution - how about it Thorn?

Ashley

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 04:06:18 pm »
P.S If you do arrive at a solution, will Raven frames have appropriate braze-ons for cantilever brakes? [:)]

hoogie

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 11:50:08 pm »
Hubbub cycles in the USA have come up with an idea ... haven't seen it, just read about in another list ...

George

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 04:06:16 am »

femmcommuter

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 10:56:05 pm »
Thanks for the pointer George. This is just what I think may be suitable, will have to call Thorn[:D]

brownbs@xtra.co.nz

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 08:01:36 am »
Hi
I know this is off the main topic. But is there any reason why you couldn't fit a double or triple chai ring with Rohioff hub.
Regards Brian

Ashley

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 03:15:35 pm »
Maybe also a rear derailer and a nine speed cassette, some grit as well perhaps - oh and don't forget to throw in some chain slap to add  that authentic look! Somewhat defeats the ENTIRE purpose/philosophy of a Rohloff drivetrain don't you think[^]

LowFlyingHawk

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 10:24:35 am »
You would have to calibrate the speedhub to only use 'middle' gear ratios if you wanted multiple chainrings.  If you didn't, you would have 42 gears, but the top 7 or so you would not be able to turn the cranks, the bottom 7 or so you wouldn't be able to pedal fast enough to keep them engaged.

RJC

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 07:46:30 pm »
In the flyers for the Cycle 2004 show there is a picture of the Thorn Raven Mercury which has the shifter in the middle of drop bars. I assume the bars must split somehow.

Andrew

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2004, 12:08:37 pm »
Rohloff Drop Bar Sneak Peak!

See it at Cycle 2004 - 24-26th September Business Design Centre, London N1 0QH

www.cycleshow.co.uk

LowFlyingHawk

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2004, 07:38:42 am »
Well done.  Compact and neat.