Author Topic: Thorn Raven Sport Tour  (Read 19111 times)

brummie

Re: Thorn Raven Sport Tour
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 10:55:14 am »
And I thought Martin was paying us a compliment with his statement about averaging 15mph on loaded RST touring bike / Olympics ! - Maybe Martin could confirm this?.....

Hamish

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 11:16:01 pm »
I have a Raven Catalyst set up with rigid forks, etc.  It is similar to the RST in some ways.  I must admit I think I know what Martin means.  Sometimes with a heavy touring bike you end up in a low gear grinding up a hill where on a light unladen bike you can keep in a higher gear, put on the pressure and keep it moving fast.  If you try and sprint a heavily laden Raven out of 'grinding' mode the bike won't respond.  Your only option is to stick in the low ratio and spin.  This would be the same for any heavy touring bike but the feel of a Rohloff in a low gear is different and at first it doesn't feel quite right.  I got used to the sensation and now like the low ratio feel of the bike.

But..... I like standing on the pedals at least some of the time.  I know it's not supposed to be as efficient but I like it.  The Raven is great for combining spinning with honking!  You can spin for a while and then when you feel like standing on the pedals you click the shifter up a gear or two and off you go.  Then when you feel like a rest you click it back into a lower gear, sit down and spin. You can't do that half as easily with derailleur gears!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:42:44 pm by Hamish »

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 01:40:34 am »
Hi all,

Not long back from India and catch up on all the posts.

Some interesting comments on this thread but the one I agree with most is from Hamish 
but the feel of a Rohloff in a low gear is different and at first it doesn't feel quite right.

I remember well when I first tried the RST / Rohloff that I often felt like I was travailing much slower than I actually was especially when I was climbing.  That was getting on for 20,000 miles ago. The RST has being my main ride for just under 5 years.  Now when I ride a dérailleur I find that odd!

A Rohloff is never going to win in a sprint race but the efficiency difference is pretty small and certainly wouldn't make more than a few minutes  difference in a day of loaded tour cycling (at most). Given the reliability advantage and the easy maintenance schedule  I would never go back to a dérailleur!

Mod hat on - PLEASE can we keep it nice I don't want to lock the thread!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:45:10 am by stutho »

Martin

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 02:05:01 am »
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Fred A-M

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 10:16:07 am »
Another illuminating compliment, no doubt!

Martin

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 11:03:32 pm »
Sorry the ZZZ was rude, I was drunk just back from a party, ridden the RST home that's what lead me to check the post as I haven't ridden it much recently as been on my road bike and trying some time trials which are murder. I think that I do need to try a different chain ring as had it in first gear last night testing it and I think I could have walked quicker.

Good to see the post seems to have run and run although there seems to be a bit of confrontation going on.

As you can see still have the bike although haven't bought it yet, he hasn't asked for the money either, did buy a TT bike though

Fred A-M

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 07:26:03 pm »
Easy now Martin, your confession of being human and succumbing to temptation just might incur the judicial fury of self-appointed thought & behaviour police!  Repent I tell you,  Repent!*   ;)

(*or insert other choice pronouncement with the investigative and moral cohesion of the Spanish Inquisition here)

On a conciliatory note, if you’ve barely been on the RST despite the golden opportunity, it strongly suggests that it’s not a priority for you given your preoccupation with racing.  You’ve benefited from a fairly in-depth analysis of RST pros and cons from a bunch of clearly experienced and enthusiastic owners/riders - I’ve yet to come across an unenthusiastic owner.  If this doesnt sufficiently enthuse you to change the chain ring, then, without in any way wishing to be critical, you probably don’t have a need for the RST.  If you’re looking for a competitive audax-specific bike, look elsewhere I’d suggest but if you’re looking for a reliable tourer for non-expedition tours, you probably won’t do much better than the Raven Tour or RST depending on the specific type of touring you want to do.  I think Blacksail's comment about not feeling beaten up at the end of particularly long rides succintly sums up the RST – my view of the RST is that it's a tourer sent from heaven.   

Blacksail

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 08:06:51 pm »
And just to make sure I took my RST to Devon loaded with light camping equipment and had a wonderful time even the 25% bits. 3 days, 600 km and 6,000 m climbing. Won't say I was fresh as a daisy on my return but am looking forward to the next adventure.

for the record my avg was nearer 10 mph than 15

Fred A-M

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 09:00:17 pm »
Sounds good Blacksail - the speed (for me) is not important but sounds reasonable given the distances, the load, and the climbs - that all equates to quite a challenge, and a very enjoyable one at that, no doubt all the more so for being on an RST!

Martin

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 11:39:56 pm »
I am delighted that Fred and I seem to have bonded, or am I missing his advances towards me and thank god blacksail found Devon challenging I thought I was a wimp

Fred A-M

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 06:41:18 pm »
From insult to amorous insinuation?   There's nowt as queer as folk!   

Over and out!

pinkbunnyok96

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2021, 09:49:38 am »
i ride 120 to 140 miles per week im not fast sum 9mph average

RobertL

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2021, 09:12:53 pm »
Longest run on the RST was Oxford to Kendal in two and a bit days. On the commute I estimate around 14 mph, pretty flat and around 6 miles one way. On a longer journey around 12 mph.

On longer journeys just packing some clothes and spares in a saddle bag, and using motels/b&b.