Author Topic: Thorn Raven Sport Tour  (Read 19092 times)

beef

Re: Thorn Raven Sport Tour
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 02:00:09 pm »
Intersting reading these comments from everyone, I have to say that if someone races regularly on a super lightweight (presumably carbon) road bike and uses a trek aluminium hybrid as a commuter, they will notice a massive difference on any thorn 26" wheeler. In my view a thorn is a proper bike, in the sense that its built for durability, comfort and maximum function with the ability to be taken anywhere on most surfaces. If martin was to do something like a self supported Landsend john o groats on a thorn he would realise exactly why thorn owners are so passionate about their bikes.

The fact that its heavier than a road bike will surely mean that its rider will be of a high level of fitness.  It can be easy to assume that because you race you have a high level of fitness, but the experience of Martin on the RST would suggest that its the road bike doing some of the work rather than him. 

Saying this I would not want to insult anyone on this forum as Martin has his own experience, views and opinions on our wonderfull hobby and I'm sure that Martins level of fitness is high and that his knowledge of his chosen bikes and his preferred sort of riding is equal to any thorn owners understanding of our sort of cycling. Its perhaps just a case of Martin adapting to the sort of pace, quality and feel that a RST will have, rather than pure speed.

What I love about thorns is that they exercise you very well, it keeps the rider in touch with what I would call proper cycling.  What I mean by this is that for me cycling is not about speed, its about fitness, discovery and a feeling of freedom.  My bombproof Sherpa is the best possible bike for this purpose as I am around 16 stone and with my commuting and including a weekend ride I am also covering about 200 miles a week.

It annoys me greatly when I come across cyclists on super lightweight road bikes that criticise mine for being heavy!! I've never raced a road bike and I have always wanted to try a carbon road bike to see how fit I am on a bike thats designed for speed. After my years spent riding mountain bikes and my Sherpa, I would guess that my fitness would show its self against road cyclists and compare well.  I have previously considered buying a road bike but after just 2 years on my Sherpa I,m looking to invest in an RST simply because it fits exactly with what I need a bike for.

All I would say to Martin is that a Thorn is just not going to be as quick as your used to.  What it will do for you is provide an absolute lifetime of service, pure function and comfort and perhaps put you in touch with a different feel of cycling.  Racing and belting around means that people forget the scenery around them, it also means that your going from one place to another in the quickest time possible.  If the weather is glorious and your exercising out on traffic free roads and you can take as much kit as you need for that ride then why would you want to be home quicker than you need to?!! No other bike will provide you with the opportunity to dissapear from civilisation for a couple of days any time you want to.  I regularly load mine up and just go whenever and wherever I want to.

I think a thorn would provide any racing cyclist the opportunity to slow down and enjoy whats around them whilst providing them with a different type of fitness and experience on a bike that could ultimately benefit their racing and balance there cycling mentality. I suppose in the end its a case of each to their own, 

I hope Martin doesn't feel like everyones on his case!! Give the thorn a chance Martin, you might rediscover something about your hobby.     

Martin

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 02:22:32 pm »
Thanks Beef

As I said at the beginning of the post I want to like the Thorn, the reference to riding a lot was a way of stating that I am not unfit and therefore should be able to get the Thorn moving quickly.

Shame that is a great bike wit some disappointing attitudes to reasonable questions from owners, might buy the bike wouldn't join the owners club

Andre Jute

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 06:23:55 pm »
There's something that doesn't hang right in your account, Martin.

Surely if you were spinning too fast despite the weight of the bike and your luggage, it was undergeared? That's just a matter of changing the chainwheel for one with more teeth to make you comfortable.

But then you also say that the low gears were too low, that you were spinning away getting nowhere. Why were you in these low gears if you didn't need them to haul yourself, the bike and your luggage up the hills of Cornwall?

The comparison between a sports car and a diesel estate may be apt for some unfit riders, but I think that in the case of a 200 mile a week rider like you, the comparison should be between a nippy little sports car and a big V8 saloon -- you have the legs for both. You drive them differently but you get there as quickly. I honestly think you're like a guy who moved up from Mazda M5 to an S class Mercedes, and now complains that Mercedes doesn't have quite the feel of the little sports car! What infuriates Fred to rudeness is that you don't seem to grasp that the intention of the creators of your racing bikes and the borrowed Thorn are fundamentally different. This besides the fact that the geartrain clearly wasn't set up right to suit you.

One more thing. With these big touring bikes, the tires have a much greater effect on how you can use them and how they relate to you than might at first seem obvious.  If you still have the Thorn, read Andy Blance on the Thorn site on the use and feel of the different tyres, and spend a few bucks on trying the different types and width of tyres; you might surprise yourself. I went from 37mm Marathon Plus to 60mm Big Apples on one of my bikes and gained on every aspect -- I wouldn't have believed that if I hadn't tried it myself, which is why I suggest you try it rather than merely take advice.

Hobbes

Fred A-M

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 09:52:18 am »
Thanks for re-stating the obvious (very well) about this descrepency about his experience and the gearing.   I think until Martin acknowledges this (to himself at least), in lieu of making negative assertions about the speed of Thorn riders and missing a key point about cycle touring in general, he won't be in a position to move on his self-professed negativity about the RST. .  Cycle touring for most is not ultimately a racing discipline but one of pleasure, especially on an RST (assuming correct set up, appropriate loading)

That said, it's great to see so many so many people write so passionately about their RSTs.

Martin, if you can bring yourself to read it, I refer to you a thread which a number of people have said they have found very useful in deciding to buy the RST.

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=775.0

Joatamon

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 10:45:13 am »
...I would not want to insult anyone on this forum...

What infuriates Fred to rudeness...

Superb diplomacy from two posts in this thread, but too subtle for Fred, who should realise that the continuing snide remarks aren't necessary.

Fred A-M

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 11:38:04 am »
Wrong Joatamon, in my opinion - your comment simply adds fuel to the fire.

"The continuing snide remarks aren't necessary" - there is nothing snide about my last post, just a simple restatement of self-evident truths, an offer of potentially useful information and an acknowledgement that I wasn't Martin's favorite person. 

However, why say you don't want to insult anyone and then insult them simply for having the validity of your account politely (up to that point at least) but soundly questioned!!??    "I have read about guys on here touring at about 15mph on a fully loaded Thorn, they should enter the Olympics."  Personally, I couldn't help feeling total contempt for this comment and the lack of understanding or respect it conveyed about cycle touring and the pleasure gained from it by the majority, and therefore the likely pleasure to be gained from the RST. 

And yes, it did infuriate me to rudeness (well put Hobbes) given Martin's ongoing refusal to acknowledge the self-evident validity of points already made and restated by Hobbes and others.  If the basics aren't stated and acknowledged, the possibility of a productive debate becomes very difficult. 

Diplomacy by Martin - I have to categorically disagree.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:03:27 pm by Fred A-M »

Joatamon

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 01:29:29 pm »
If you really can't see the snide remarks in post #19 and that your posts have escalated from sarcasm to insults, I'm pleased I don’t know you in real life.

As for Martin, well, he got you sussed very early on.

Fred A-M

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 02:34:23 pm »
Joatamon.

Martin first displayed sarcasm/insult with his olympic remark (not a snide remark!?), effectively rebuffing the validity of comments made and akin to throwing toys out of the pram because no-one convinced him of the qualities of the RST on the basis of the incoherent logic/experience and/or lack of knowledge that he communicated.   

After calling me an idiot (not blatantly insulting?) at which point I considered subsequent remarks fair game given his ridiculous ongoing denial ref cycling basics - I'm not saying that they weren't mocking but you're missing the point that I wasn't "continuing" to be so as you claim and as I made clear. 

In fact the escalation from first making snide remarks and escalating to baseless insult can be traced firmly back to Martin himself - funny how that this seems to have escaped your apparently advanced powers of perception!   That Martin/yourself seem unable to accept comments about the standards by which he himself would be apparently judged and would judge others (hence my comments about his olympian aspirations) says it all really.

As for having me sussed, it helps to show objectivity and accuracy in the first instance......funnily enough, neither quality spring to mind ref either your or Martin's contributions. 

As for not wanting to upset people and wanting to be convinced, I'd say I had Martin sussed from the first posting of this thread.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:33:59 pm by Fred A-M »

Joatamon

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 10:48:03 pm »
The inquest on who said what, when and why is unnecessary - it's there for all to read and judge for themselves.

Feel free to continue to paint your colours on the wall.

Fred A-M

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 11:53:20 pm »
Interesting to see that you now suddenly regard detail as unnecessary, because it simply doesn't now suit you to consider it - in your earlier post you went to the length of  refererencing post 19 (!!!???) to criticise me - you were more than happy to concern yourself with the detail!    What a total hypocrite you are!   :o 

Regarding my colours, I don't particularly care whether they conform to your clearly whimsical values.  I think it is sufficient to say that I don't suffer fools (or hypocrites) gladly!   

Joatamon

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 10:01:09 am »
Typical and predictable behaviour - attack the poster instead of dealing with the issue. 

It's not about me, it's about your rudeness in this thread, you can wriggle and excuse yourself as much as you wish but at the risk of repeating myself, it's there for all to read and judge for themselves.   Everyone can see who first lit the match.

Post# 19, one of your snide posts, is the one before Reply #19.  I'm quite certain you know that even if you're blind to the tone of the content.

Fred A-M

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 10:52:16 am »
Is the detail relevant or not relevant? pls make your mind up   ::)-  Ref post 19 my point was that you actually felt obliged to count the posts to make your point.  If that is not being concerned with detail, I don't know what is. 

However, now that we're back to dealing with detail, I haven't for one minute denied that I was rude.  The notion that you have me wriggling is laughable and self-delusional on your behalf.

"Typical and predictable behaviour - attack the poster instead of dealing with the issue" - To use your own analogy, continue to paint your colours because the truth lies much closer to home than you think - making offensive judgements whilst completely overlooking the facts because they don't suit you.

By way of illustration:

"Every one can see who lit the first match" - Yep, kindly refer to yourself to Martin's comment on Thorn riders and the olympic standards which was clearly insulting and dismissive of cycle-tourists and feedback provided to him.  As a cycle tourist and RST owner, I found it offensive.  If you're suggesting the match was lit before then, I think your sanity would have to be questioned.   
Clearly, objectivity and accuracy are not your forte, or to use another of your analogies, it's clear the detail is simply all too subtle for you.  Now, if you want to sustain this personal attack on me, I suggest that you spare the forum and do it by sending me a PM.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:45:21 am by Fred A-M »

Joatamon

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 12:38:30 pm »
I keep saying, the evidence is there.  You keep referring me to this, that and the other but I've already read it - all of it. I really haven't missed anything.   I've visited enough fora to know that everyone posts differently,  some use smileys, some don't, some are eloquent, some are blunt,  there's verbose, there's concise, and all that leaves the reader to figure out the body language.  That's the subtlety that I think you're missing.  You think your rudeness and on-going snide remarks are justified by a throwaway remark, I don't, and I think, reading between the lines, that other contributors  were uncomfortable with it as well. 

Anyway I'm quite content to leave it for the audience of this thread to decide for themselves whether your language was appropriate, or "fair game", as you put it.

I will not make another post in this thread, and it won't serve any useful purpose by discussing it off-line.  Even if you post some more criticism of me - I'm sure you will - my case is resting here.

Fred A-M

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 01:40:34 pm »
Suffice to say the entire basis for your personal attack has been based on my being rude which I never for one moment denied, have never denied the evidence, so pretty pointless really - your wildly inaccurate misjudgements simply served to reignite the whole issue because I felt obliged to defend myself against them. 

Again your refusal to acknowledge detail or to entitle anyone else to their perspective of them in conducting an exercise of pious moral outrage says far more about you.....

We'll have to agree to disagree.

PS - Now that hostilities have subsided, it simply would have sufficed to say "Fred, don't you think you are being a bit OTT?" to which I would have responded to effect of "Probably, sorry!" - A host of inaccurate related statements/accusations/judgements was only ever going to inflame the suitation and serve to blow things out of proportion.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:29:31 pm by Fred A-M »

travelling

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 09:11:26 am »
Any one for a happy meal ?