Author Topic: Audax Mk 3 build  (Read 7245 times)

philb

Audax Mk 3 build
« on: November 29, 2009, 01:04:39 am »
Hi. I thought I would share some pics with the forum. I've been building this up over the weekend, but haven't gotten out as the rain here in Hobart has been biblical this weekend.
The bike is full ultegra 9 speed including hubs cpx 33 rims r650 breaks and gatorskin 28mm tyres. I've used most of my parts off my Lemond Zurich triple.
I gather when installing the rack you uses the inner eyes because of the location of the rear break. Looking forward to a trip up the east coast, but there are some steep climbs and I'm not sure about the gearing, I'll take the camera for some action shots.

PS the  heater makes a good bike rack in summer ;)

philb

Re: Audax Mk 3 build
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 01:19:47 am »
Try this

pastafarian

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:01:02 am »
Nice one! I love that blue colour  :-* And it looks like a bike that could go pretty fast if you wanted it too...  ;D

john28july

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 09:37:43 am »
Hi. I thought I would share some pics with the forum. I've been building this up over the weekend, but haven't gotten out as the rain here in Hobart has been biblical this weekend.
The bike is full ultegra 9 speed including hubs cpx 33 rims r650 breaks and gatorskin 28mm tyres. I've used most of my parts off my Lemond Zurich triple.
I gather when installing the rack you uses the inner eyes because of the location of the rear break. Looking forward to a trip up the east coast, but there are some steep climbs and I'm not sure about the gearing, I'll take the camera for some action shots.

PS the  heater makes a good bike rack in summer ;)
Hello
Nice.
The rear rack arms do fit the outer eyes believe it or not! Very close but yes they do.
Enjoy your new build.
John.

julk

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 10:08:19 am »
That looks really nice.

philb

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 09:59:54 pm »
Thanks John for the advice. I put the rack on yesterday. It's a Tubus cargo, I put one on the inner and one on the outer, it's straight and solid. I'll try with both on the outer, because the inner is very had to get at.

philb

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 10:03:51 pm »
I'm pretty sure it won't go on the outer on the break side unless you put it right out away from the break and used a 1 inch spacer. Perhapse it's the rack or the frame size.

Phil

philb

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 12:17:37 am »
I've posted a pic of the rack- rear break issue.
Phil

john28july

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 09:52:29 am »
I've posted a pic of the rack- rear break issue.
Phil
Hello
I have fitted one to a Mk 3. The arms were to the outside both sides. Try again. Put the brake on tight and fit the arm. Then release the brake. The arm in your picture is turned inward and when on the outer side should be the other way around like the one on the outside. If the does not work, you may have something wrong with the brake setup. Also of course that particular rack may have fat arms but looking at the picture it appears fairly standard. To use it like you have is not correct. If needs must put the arms both on the inside but not as you have them now.
John.

philb

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 11:11:58 am »
Thanks for the advice John, but i've tried again and it doesn't work. If the whole are was the same diameter as where the bolt attaches it would, but the thickness of the are is too great for the break.
Phil

john28july

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 05:03:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice John, but i've tried again and it doesn't work. If the whole are was the same diameter as where the bolt attaches it would, but the thickness of the are is too great for the break.
Phil
Hello
Oh well an anomaly probably for just the particular size of frame that you have. You will obviously need to use the inner lugs. As it appears to be a Tubus rack it should be OK as you can move the arms outward on the rack and then tighten up the allen screws.
John.

rualexander

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 07:19:27 pm »
If you end up having to use the inner sides of the bosses, change the allen bolts for 8mm hex heads the use a spanner (I recently got an 8mm ratchet spanner at B&Q which has been handy).
Or longer allen bolts right through from the outer side with a nylock nut on the inside to hold the rack arm?

philb

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 10:22:58 am »
Thanks for the advice. I've been testing the bike without the rack. Great bike!

rualexander

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 03:42:34 pm »
Incidentally, what frame size did you get and what height are you? I recently got a size 600 Mk3 (I'm 6'2"), and I am pleased so far after a couple of rides but still fine tuning my riding position. Surprised how smooth and comfortable the ride is, coming from an 18 year old Cannondale touring frame which was very stiff and, I now realise, very harsh. The Mk3 frame does flex quite a bit though, which I guess is part of the reason for the comfort.

philb

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 09:03:13 pm »
Hi. I got the same size frame, I'm 6'3. I'm still adjusting my position and I've come from a road bike so I instantly notice the difference with the bar height especially on the flat, but it improves the climbing lots. I had a square 59cm frame with a 110mm stem and I think I need a longer 120mm for the thorn because I sit quite upright but enjoying riding the bike.
Phil