Author Topic: Foolish Thoughts and Stupid Ideas  (Read 7219 times)

PH

Re: Foolish Thoughts and Stupid Ideas
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2022, 10:26:58 pm »
Sympathies to Ravi, but the right thing to do rather than try and continue and making it worse. 

Moronic

• Amazon.com Bongs For Steve ebook
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2022, 06:35:07 am »
Sad to see the Mercury on the sag wagon - hope it's temporary. What's been especially fun is experiencing the rising tone of the reports as the trip has progressed - from 'This is torture' to 'Whee what fun!' Brings back memories of trips I've done where I had planned days of vastly excessive length. I've learned my lesson and these days aim for about five hours of cycling daily, which leaves lots of time for lolling about the camp and a long lunch.

On the topic of saddles, the only saddles I've ever got on with have been Brooks leather, but hen I find them more comfortable than alternatives even when they're new. I find that a saddle gets more comfortable as you zero in on the optimal saddle height in relation to the pedal, along the lines proposed in the article linked by John a page or so back. The other measurement I've seen is that the distance from pedal top to saddle top should be 109 per cent of your inside led measurement with cycling shoes on, and I've had that work for me in the past (I think it arose from efficiency tests performed by athletes at a range of saddle heights). However these days I start with the heel-on-pedal method and refine it with a bit of testing.

I've been very surprised by how much difference a height adjustment of only 2-3mm can make, and therefore pay a lot of attention to getting it just right. Of course you have to know what you're looking for. As for the proposition that the long-legged are better placed for getting their toes on the ground - clearly that's not consistent with either method of setting saddle height for efficiency. In contrast, having very big feet might help. What also helps is learning to mount and dismount from out of the saddle - which makes it irrelevant even how long your feet are.  ;)

Thanks for the daily write-ups - I'm amazed you have the energy given the distances you are covering daily. Great to read too of the mutually supportive spirit among the riders. That's never guaranteed, and when its there it makes all the difference.  :D
Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

JohnR

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2022, 07:49:53 am »
I'm hoping that Ravi has got some magic potion for fixing the pain so that he can be back on the saddle for the last few days.

Rgill

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2022, 06:09:13 pm »
Back in the saddle today, fairly sure its a minor left medial quad strain, RICE yesterday seemed to have helped. Today was a bit  sore at times  but the scenery , voltarol , tape (a bite bit at times ) and most importantly kate and my cycling companions got me through.  Will see how it feels tomorrow.

Kate views below
Day 17, 15 of cycling, Kinross to Pitlochry, 47.1 miles, 4 hours 23 minutes and 2598 feet of ascent. Ravi Rides Again!
After an afternoon of rest, icing his leg, anti inflammatories and massage, Ravi felt he could cycle today slowly, tentatively trying it out for the first few miles while our support crew were on hand if needed.  Bright sunshine from the start, but a very inadequate breakfast - in our rooms with a choice of fruit yoghurt and cornflakes.  The only coffee was a sachet of Nescafé, and as I have boycotted this for 34 years (Baby Milk Action) decided now was not the time to have one.  Richard and Debbie of course had cafetiere coffee in their room as they packed light and brought their own coffee.
We cycled through Perth city centre, through beautiful parks and impressive buildings.  We stopped to have a well needed coffee, and Ravi bought some strapping tape and bound up his leg to try and support it.  We must add that to the packing list next time (?!!). Perth is also on my list of must return to places - beautiful, especially in the sunshine.
A few miles after Perth we needed to stop for Ravi to readjust his strapping, only to find a man covered in blood having tripped over the pavement.  Debbie the District Nurse came into her own, and brought out all sorts of things from one of her panniers - she seems to be carrying an entire medical kit. Medical care and advice was delivered, and one of the other ladies helping - Gareth would describe her as a little old lady - asked what we are doing.  We really should stop telling people, as of course her son had tried to do LeJOG in 4 days, 200 miles per day, but had to stop as he tore a muscle avoiding a pothole.  The direct route is in fact 800 miles on the main roads. The lady herself had done it on a tandem in 12 days - she must have had Chris Hoy on the back.
A few evenings ago Debbie had said that she thinks about what she would take to a desert island as she is cycling along.  Her book of choice would be The Shipping News, and her music would be an opera by Puccini. Her luxury item would be a horse. I asked if I would be allowed a series of books, so my choice would be the Boudicca series by Manda Scott - I love them, and on an island I would have a chance to work out who everyone is. I have been pondering the music, and definitely would not want an opera. My parents took me to an opera when I was quite young, and I couldn’t see anything and understood nothing. My initial response was something by Kate Bush, as I love her, but I think if that was all I was listening to she might drive me bonkers.  I might ask if I am allowed a mixed tape.  My luxury item the other evening was very unimaginatively Lip Balm - my lips are sore from the wind and sun.  However, I have since decided to ask for a fully equipped motorhome with a comfy bed, toilet and shower, and a bike rack. Preferably when I am chugging up a very long hill.
From there we carried on through incredible scenery and several houses I could easily choose as my dream house.  We came over a bridge over the River Tay with beautiful views with the village of Dunkeld nestled on it’s banks. We stopped to have a drink and ice cream watching the water rush past, and the birds crying and swooping over the river. Absolutely idyllic.
We had 15 miles to go, most of which was along the river, all on National Cycle network paths, and onto Pitlochry via some very nasty hills.  One hill was immediately after a right hand turn, so a standing start, and was so steep that even in Turbo my cadence went down to 35.  I thought I wasn’t going to make it, which when clipped in is very tricky. I have only once before on this journey thought I wasn’t going to make it up a hill in Cornwall, and eyed up a nice soft bank of grass I might have to fall onto - when going up a hill, to unclip loses momentum.  The grass turned to nettles, so I dug deep and carried on.  Today I had no choice as no soft landings, so again drove hard to get up - knees hurting a little as a consequence, but they only have 4 more days to go.  Almost there!!
Highlight of the day was watching 4 baby swallows sitting on a telephone wire, being fed by their parents, who were swooping over the fields of rippling grass. Magic.

Rgill

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2022, 08:24:07 pm »
Day 18, 16 of cycling, Pitlochry to Aviemore, 59.1 miles, 4 hours 41 mins, 2762 feet of ascent.
I woke myself up snoring last night, and listened to the pouring rain - glad that we were not cycling.  I had to lie on my back last night, as it was the only comfortable position for my aching legs and knees. I don’t normally snore, I think!
Porridge for breakfast at last - not quite the Scottish experience I was hoping for, and not as good as John Allison’s porridge, but at last we have had porridge in Scotland.  At breakfast Gareth was telling us about the “little old lady” in the room next door to them.  Her son has cycled 6000 miles across Canada.  We always seem to be outdone. Now that must be hard.
Quick mention of Butt creams - we have now changed flavour and no longer have menthol, which is a vast improvement, as I no longer feel as if I need to go to the toilet for the first half an hour after putting it on.I would recommend checking yours if you have some. Ravi had told me that my sit bones would toughen up.  There is still no sign of that happening, so I am wearing a double chamois for a bit more padding, as if I need that, I hear you say. Slightly more comfortable.
 I have also found another use for sudocrem - my nose.  Richard and I have both had colds, and the combination of constant blowing and lots of wind and sun has rendered us both looking a bit like Rudolph. I had thought today might be slightly less sunny, but the sun beat down on us all day - we have been incredibly lucky with the weather so far.
We set off and for the first time immediately saw a sign for where we were headed - Aviemore, 60 miles.  I found the first part really tough - uphill on roads, my back and legs aching and lacking in motivation. Ravi is still taking it easy, his leg strapped up, and so I tucked in behind him and started my usual Buttocks up the hill, which became shortened to Butts - really does help to concentrate the mind.  This became Big Butts, and Ravi then invited me to follow his Big Black Butt - he was wearing black cycling shorts (he also has a purple one which I much prefer, but Big Purple Butt wouldn’t have been so satisfying), so the chant became Big Black Butt, which quickly changed to Blig Black Blutts until we got to the top of the hill.
Thankfully we went off the road onto the old A9, which is now a cycle path which follows the River Garry - absolutely gorgeous.  The incredible views and the noise of the river lifted our mood, as well as getting away from the traffic on the road.  We steadily climbed up to 1500 feet, with the train line beside us.  This was the train that Richard and Ravi had taken after dropping off the cars, but they had seen none of the views we were treated to on the cycle path. At the top we met a couple on a tandem cycling down from John O’Groats to Lands End, towing a trailer with their camping gear.  Must be hard.
From there is was sort of downhill - it is never completely downhill, always up and down, down and up.  We stopped for lunch at Dalwhinnie, which I believe is famous for whisky.
As we approach Inverness both Ravi and Richard relax a little.  The cars are slumbering in a long stay car park.  Ravi has resisted the urge to check on his Tesla to see if it is still there, as he doesn’t want to wake it up.  We had thought that if his leg gets any worse, he would collect the Tesla and follow us playing loud drum and bass to keep us going. Hopefully this won’t be necessary, as if we go at a reasonable pace, his leg seems to be okay.  It is my turn to constantly check on him, although he still feeds me bits of his flapjacks.
The afternoon was beautiful -long stretches of views of the mountains, which I hope we are going between and not over.  We stopped following the cycle path to Aviemore and went on the road, as the cycle path adds an extra few thousand feet of climbing, which we didn’t fancy.
We arrived at our guest house in good time, to be told that last night they had someone who had taken 12 days from Lands End to get here and looked broken, and is doing the rest in just 2 days.
There has been a lot of talk over dinners about how tough the next few days are going to be.  I prefer not to think any further than tomorrow - but now only 3 days to go.  Gareth thinks this has gone very quickly, for me it feels like we have doing this forever. It’s a bit like Groundhog Day - but the end is in sight.

PH

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2022, 09:34:49 pm »
Well done, if I remember rightly there's a fair climb out of Aviemore, but nothing like the climbing you've done today.  Then that's it, the hardest parts of Scotland are behind you, enjoy the remaining days.

Rgill

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2022, 09:35:01 pm »
 Day 19, Aviemore to Tain, 70.7 miles, 5 hours 50 minutes, 4006 feet of ascent.  Pumpernickled.
We set off as early as a cordon blue breakfast would allow, and almost immediately had to leave the Komoot path, as it took us on a trail which was not suitable for our bikes, and was full of dog walkers.
We diverted onto roads and of course immediately started to go up hill. Passed through the village of Carr Bridge where the World Porridge Championships are held - who would have thought it!
My sat nav on my Nexus spent the morning telling me to Save Energy to arrive at my destination with support.  It obviously thought I was going to run out of power, and was not reassured by me that I had a spare battery.  Eventually it gave up complaining.  Richard and Debbie have range anxiety, which drivers of electric cars will also be aware of.  Theirs is such that they don’t use anything other than ECO for the whole journey, too afraid that their heavy bikes will run our of power.  Richard cycled his first 100 miles at the age of 12, so seems to cope with this very well.
Up and down hills, and down one tree lined hill we suddenly glimpsed the Moray Firth in the distance - absolutely magical. After 35 miles we skirted the industrial side of Inverness, avoiding the city centre, and found a very large bike shop with a cafe upstairs for refuellling.  While there, we had a phone call from Milo Gill-Taylor - his results for his Masters degree - double first with distinction in Astro Physics at Cambridge - well done Milo!
Ravi and Richard avoided the impulse to bail out and get there cars.
Off we went again, proud parents, and crossed the Moray Firth Bridge, buffeted by the wind.  The wind today had been very gusty, and mostly from behind, and again bright sunshine.  Ravi cycled behind me most of today, and spotted that my handlebar mirror was reflecting the sun onto my nose - hence my Rudolph impersonation.
Several steep hills followed by we think the longest hill we have had so far - seemed endless.  I had to resort to Turbo for a few boosts.  Ravi has the biggest gear ratio, and just spins his legs on his Granny ring.  Sometimes he goes so slowly that his Wahoo thinks he has stopped and goes into Auto Pause.
We were cycling against time, as we had to get to the Cromarty Nigg ferry in time, which cuts off a corner.  We timed it perfectly, and had an exciting ferry trip looking at oil rigs and boats.  From there 12 miles into Tain, which is an unexpectedly beautiful little town, with gothic architecture and being Saturday a lively nightlife.
One of my enduring memories of this landscape will be the wind rippling across the wheat fields.  I am sure there are wordsmiths who would describe this better than me, but it looked like rippling silk in the sunshine.  So unforgettable.
I have to go now as Ravi is massaging my legs - painful, but I think helps.  He did this last night with the massage ball, and my legs were better today. 
2 days to go!

Rgill

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2022, 05:21:58 pm »
One day to go

Day 20, Tain to Tongue, 65.1 miles, 5 hours 2 minutes, 3451 feet of ascent.
Last night after the leg massage we tucked down, and then Ravi said he had to check something.  He had booked tonight’s accommodation for tomorrow night.  This did not surprise me as he frequently gets times and dates mixed up. What has surprised me is that he waited until the last night to do this.  After a mild panic and being unable to contact the Guest House owner, we started to look for alternative accommodation.  We managed to book 3 rooms in a hotel after several phone calls, and then took a while to get to sleep as both of us were wide awake.  In the morning the Guest House had picked up our email, and all was fine, and we managed to cancel the hotel rooms without any payments.  Phew.
Breakfast was early and a help yourself affair.  These have varied between places, with some offering a whole menu with Full English / Scottish Breakfasts and all sorts.  In Southall the lovely slightly dotty lady insisted on cooking us scrambled eggs, which we enjoyed, and asked her what her secret is - double cream in the eggs as they finish cooking. No wonder we are not loosing weight!
As we came out of Tain we discovered why is it such a bustling little town - the Glenmorangie distillery is just outside.  Good job we didn’t discover that last night. We were mainly on roads today, following the National Cycle Path 1 again, which follows a beautiful river, which we went over on the Bonar Bridge. The road ran alongside a beautiful river, which we could hear and get glimpses of as we were going along, so we stopped and scrambled down the bank.  Someone had put a bench there and a sign, Paradise, which it certainly was.
Our next surprise was to come across a car park at the Falls of Shin with lots of tourists - in cars.  Impressive waterfall. Tom and Celeste, our wonderful support team, met us at Lairg for a coffee and cake (more cake) - the first time we have managed to meet up with them, and their last day as they are heading back to Southampton tomorrow as they are completing on their new house. 
After that we started to climb in to the mountains on a single track road with passing places.  Stunning views all round, and I realised we were in the middle of the mountains - wherever we looked there were hills, and spectacular views.  It was wide open with large skies.  Yesterday one of the hazards we faced were pine cones on the paths - tricksy little things to miss and to ride over.  Today there were signs to avoid Lambs on the road.  We did see some, but they are obviously so used to bikes they just looked bored and ignored us. Lots of bikes passed us going the other way, some fully laden and others out for a day ride.  Also lots of motorbikes, as it is obviously a very popular motor biking route.
We stopped at the Crask Inn for a quick toilet break - lots of cyclists there.  In the toilets in this pub in the middle of absolutely nowhere, they had a wonderful mural on the inside of the toilet door.  A real delight. Some of the houses out here are miles from anywhere.
We had the wind with us for some of the way, but then it seemed to buffet us from all sides. I found it quite scary when it slammed into my side, and it felt like it was going to knock me over.  Ravi assured me it would not, as I am too solid.  Thank you Ravi.
The views all round were breathtaking, and we made good time, arriving in Tongue at 3.30pm - could have gone further!!
Looking back at this trip I can’t quite believe that this time tomorrow it will be over.  I never believed that I could get this far. Even getting to Bristol seemed incredible, and from there to York.
Our mother always saw the glass as being half empty, and I have battled my whole life with trying to be the opposite.  The last few weeks have been a struggle in so many ways, and I have had to try and consciously remain positive.  Ravi’s eternal energy and optimism, and support have helped me through this.  I have been irritable with him at times when he has tried to give me advice - I am not good at taking advice, especially from Ravi - but he has encouraged me and always been there for me, and fed me chocolate when I have needed it.  Heleen and Gareth have been amazing, always enthusiastic and out in front, leading the way. Today we passed the 1000 mile mark.  We have seen some amazing sights, and been through so many places, and diverse countryside. Lots of cows, sheep, llamas and dogs - I have only managed to almost run over one sausage dog.  Glorious hedgerows, and verges full of wild flowers where they are allowed to grow. Birds, and today I saw a snake at the side of the road -alas couldn’t stop to take a photo.
 The two main things that have struck me is how all across the country people care and look after their homes and gardens, so beautiful and well kept.  People are also very friendly - nearly always returning a smile or a greeting. 
Tomorrow we are getting up early to leave by 6am so that we can get to John O’Groats in time for the taxi to take us back to Inverness. Will I miss groin inspections and chamois cream - absolutely not.  I am not a cyclist, but I have enjoyed cycling - it is a wonderful way to see the country.  I would recommend it.

Moronic

• Amazon.com Bongs For Steve ebook
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2022, 01:22:34 pm »
Love the pic of the two conquerers.  :D
Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

Rgill

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2022, 11:31:48 am »
Mad Cyclists LEJOG’s The  Last Day
Tongue to John O’Groats, 65.3 miles, 5 hours 31 minutes, 4455 feet of ascent.
Our evening in Tongue surprised us all.  We had dinner in the only place in Tongue – a hotel with a bar, which was friendly and full of local life. Tongue is beautiful, nestled on the banks of Loch Loyal and the sea Loch at Tongue.  Up here at this time of year there is hardly any night time, and when we got up at 0430am for our last day on Monday everything was bathed in an exquisite morning light, and the birds were already busy about their day.  We set off at 6am and the day started well, cycling along the sea front.  I glimpsed an isolated beach with solitary footprints – someone had already been out for their morning walk. I saw a sign”To The Unknown” halfway up a hill.
The day started with a steady climb, and soon it was hill after hill.  Betty Hill was just like my Aunty Betty, an absolute b- - - -, and after that every hill was getting steeper and longer.  Ravi had gear failure on one of them – his Rohloff gear hub which normally has 14 gears gave him none, and after a bit of fiddling we got most of them back.
I had range anxiety, as my power was going down using Tour and sometimes Turbo on the hills, and so on the flats with my limited gear range I was struggling to keep up and getting behind.  Once behind it is hard to catch up. Ravi dropped back to be with me, but after hill after hill and 3 hours in, I had a serious willpower failure. My knee had been grumbling a little on and off for the last few days, and with all the hills started to seriously complain.  It started clicking, which means there is swelling in the joint, and my left knee, where I was putting most of the strain, had started to ache. 1000 miles on a knee replacement turns out to be the limit.  The wind was quite strong, and sometimes it was behind, then in front and worse slamming from the side.  I think I must have been gripping my handlebars, as my back, neck and head started to ache and I just felt I couldn’t go on, very close to tears. So close, and yet it felt like so far.
We stopped, and it’s amazing what a bit of paracetamol, water and encouragement can do, and a quick stretch and of course some flapjack. We were also in the middle of nowhere with our support team on their way to Southampton. Back on the bike and determination revived, we carried on.  Ravi had said at the beginning that he felt sure I would finish no matter what, as he described me as like a rat down a sewer when I do something.  I think again he meant this as a compliment, and that I have perseverance, but I wasn’t very happy being compared to a rat.
In the first 40 miles we did over 4000 feet of climbing, similar to a whole day in Cornwall, but with 25 miles still to go.  Thank goodness this was the last day, and the only thing that kept me going was reminding myself, chanting “Last day, Last day” up the never ending hills. We had followed the North-coast 500 route in land, and the landscape was not as dramatic as the previous day, and not as beautiful as expected in parts. We stopped for coffee and for Ravi to ice his leg, as it was getting quite painful.  No ice, so he had to use a bag of frozen parsnips, which worked surprisingly well.
Off we went again for the final 25 miles, which thank fully were not as hilly – at least they were more gentle.  Still in blazing sunshine we watched the clouds gathering, and followed our route onto our old friend, National Cycle Pathway 1 again. Rain – our first since Cornwall and Devon – started gently at first and then drove us to take shelter under some trees.  The midgies took this opportunity to have a little nibble, but thankfully it has been so windy while in Scotland apart from when we crossed the border, they have not been a problem.  After a little deliberation we all started to put on our wet weather gear, which took so long that by time we resumed cycling the rain had stopped.
As we neared our destination we tried to see where we were aiming for.  Gareth and Heleen beckoned Ravi forward to lead us for the last mile and a half. I tucked in behind with a lump in my throat, and we followed signs for John O’Groats to arrive all together. It was surreal to say the least, as just as we were about to cross the roundabout up to the sign, and we presumed the end point, a coach arrived and crossed our path.  Loads of tourists were having their photos taken at the sign, as we hugged and congratulated each other, waiting for our turn at standing in front of the sign. It felt very odd, us in our cycling gear and after over 1000 miles, we somehow felt we should have priority as we had earned the right over someone arriving on a coach trip. At LandsEnd there had been a start and finish line, and a photographer, and I think we had been expecting something similar here, but were disappointed to find tourists instead.
Once we had taken a few photos – we asked a tourist to take some and they managed to video instead – we drank champagne and had loaded chips at the café – we felt we deserved them!  Our taxi to Inverness loaded up our bikes, as well as 3 bikes from another group who were taking the train home to Norfolk and having their bikes shipped from Inverness. They had come up the west coast via the Lake District, so had done a similar number of miles to us over the same number of days, but a lot more climbing.
The taxi driver had never known of anyone who had left their cars in Inverness, but E bikes cannot as yet be shipped, and they are tricky on trains as so heavy and big.  The taxi driver was interesting – he had been a triathlete and done all sorts of long distance bike tours, until a few years ago when he got mowed down by a camper van who went straight through him at 50 mph.  He spent 5 weeks in intensive care, and was told he would never walk again and would have brain damage.  He has worked hard at his rehab and watching him clamber all over his van loading the bikes onto the roof, you wouldn’t believe he had rods in his back.  We counted ourselves very lucky to have had only a few minor problems along the way with no accidents.
Our taxi ride to Inverness which had taken us just under 3 days to cycle took 3 hours in a complete haze.  Our feelings were mostly relief and disbelief – for me.  Most people when they have their month off after retirement (in the NHS there has to be a full month off between retirement and return to work on a different contract) go to Costa Rica, or Australia, and have a nice relaxing holiday.  We just felt exhausted.
Yesterday we drove back to Cambridge, initially along the way we had cycled, spotting our cycle path beside the A9.  The weather couldn’t have been different- rain and mist hanging over the mountains.  We had been so lucky with the weather, it would have been a very different experience in the rain. It took us under 10 hours to pass York, which had taken us 10 days of cycling.  I kept spotting National Cycle Network signs everywhere, having never noticed them before.
For me the most exciting part of the ride, apart from finishing, was arriving in Bristol – somewhere familiar with so much life and energy after sleepy Cornwall and Devon. Arriving in York after our mega 87 mile ride was a relief with a terrible cold, and Betty’s tearooms and Fat Rascals are imprinted on my memory.  Bamburgh and Northumberland were beautiful, and of course the Highlands of Scotland. The rest of it is a blur and it will take some time to sort it all out when we get time to look back at it.
Thank you to everyone who has given us support and encouragement, through comments and messages.  It has been great reading them after a long days ride, and has kept us going.
Our son, Tarra, had said that at our age it is good to have a challenge (!!) and indeed it was that! I learnt a lot – mostly that after every downhill there is an uphill, or trying to look at it in a more positive half full way, for every uphill there is a downhill- I am sure this is a metaphor for life.
We have started planning our next adventure. When we go cycle touring again it will be for a much shorter time, with days of no more than 50 miles – after 4 to 5 hours it starts to get very uncomfortable. Or maybe a walking challenge? I know someone who has walked from LandsEnd to John O’Groats staying with friends and family.   It took them 7 weeks.  If Ravi asks me to do this, I will say NO.  Well, maybe….

PH

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2022, 12:31:56 pm »
Huge congratulations, it is a massive achievement for any cyclist. Something that will be with you forever, I did it twenty years ago and frequently remember parts of it, good and bad.
And thanks for the daily updates, it's been a real pleasure to follow your progress. Good luck with the next one!

John Saxby

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2022, 03:30:40 pm »
Bravo! Hugely enjoyed your daily reports.  Your good humour in managing your repaired knee is a story in itself.

What a thing to do for your first tour!  It seemed to me that you were having good weather:
We had been so lucky with the weather, it would have been a very different experience in the rain.

I thought maybe you'd borrowed rualexander's camera, certified and recommended by the Scottish Tourist Board, taking only photos of sunny skies.  But no -- 'twas the Real Thing.  Impeccable judgement, which I can only envy. In 2008, I managed mostly good weather on a much shorter hike along the West Highland Way, but the rest of our three-week holiday in the Ancestral Homeland was an object lesson in "let's emigrate to Canada, shall we?"  (Then again, as I remarked to my wife on the ferry to Iona, as the cold mid-June rain came in horizontally, "Y'know, love, there's a reason why Nova Scotia is named "New Scotland".)

Cheers,  John

JohnR

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2022, 09:32:44 pm »
Congratulations on completing the trip in spite of problems with bikes and legs and I've enjoyed following the progress. The human brain has a remarkable (undesirable?) ability to remember the highlights and forget the bad bits which explains why people embark on subsequent adventures. The climb up to Bettyhill was the final challenge on the penultimate day of my LEJOG last year. Fortunately I had enough steam remaining in the boiler to complete the ascent which provided the benefit of starting the final day from the top of the hill.

I'm a little intrigued as to how a Rohloff hub lost its gears. Had the Ex-box worked loose so twisting the shifter had no effect?

Tiberius

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2022, 06:35:25 am »
A great ride report. Very well done to you all.

Rgill

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2022, 08:11:54 am »
Hi John

Correct, loose ex-box,  re tightened and only had 7 gears so then had to re index.  This shows how exhausting a long ride can be, every evening I would quiclky check the bikes over  after we arrived somewhere, looking back this just stopped with about 5 days to go as all I wanted to do was have some tea, shower, eat and sleep by then.

It has been a great a ride and adventure and I am glad you have enjoyed Kate’s wiritings they have been a sensation on facebook. Now after a few days of  rest , my reflections are

1. It’s a long ride for a first time tour, but I feeel a great sense of achievement at completing something I started thinking about 3 years ago
2. Having a supportive partner when I suggest doing foolish things  is amazing, how she has put up with me over the years with the stupid hours of work I have no idea
3. Dong this with collegues(close friends )who you have worked with, through  good and bad times for 28+ years is a good thing. As we all know how each other react when stressed and how to support and help  each other  get throuugh the tough bits.
4. We are going to to do more of this as now I have more time but it will be shorter tours, less miles and time in the saddle .

The forum has been a been a great place for me to learn from over the last couple of  years while  planning,  so thank you all

Ravi