Author Topic: Foolish Thoughts and Stupid Ideas  (Read 7440 times)

Rgill

Re: Foolish Thoughts and Stupid Ideas
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2022, 09:07:51 pm »
Cheers Matt

We are going up the middle, Pitlochry, Aviemore, Tain, Tongue and  the end. Might be forgiven by Kate then
Ravi

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2022, 11:03:18 pm »
Cheers Matt

We are going up the middle, Pitlochry, Aviemore, Tain, Tongue and  the end. Might be forgiven by Kate then
Ravi

Excellent.
Consider the A873 from Altnaharra to Bettyhill.
Some say, the finest road in Scotland. I've not yet cycled them all but when I traveled on it 7 years ago during my North to South Scottish end 2 end trip, it certainly impressed me.

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2022, 11:49:11 pm »
You continue to make good progress, amazing isn't it how you can be half way already!
You've passed through some of my frequently ridden areas, that route up through Notts is/was known as Megawatt Valley. The combination of the Notts/Yorkshire coalfields and the volume of water carried by the Trent, along with easy distribution to the industrial midlands made it ideal. 
I was in Southwell Cathedral a few weeks ago, it's not only a fantastic building, there always seems to be something going on.
Keep it up, Scotland soon!

JohnR

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2022, 12:04:18 pm »
Some say, the finest road in Scotland. I've not yet cycled them all but when I traveled on it 7 years ago during my North to South Scottish end 2 end trip, it certainly impressed me.
It's actually the B873 / B871. My supported LEJOG took me that way last year and I confirm that it's a very pleasant route (weather permitting). The A836 north of Lairg is also pleasant with a very gentle climb (and subsequent descent) but hope the wind isn't in the wrong direction as it's very exposed and be aware that although it's an A road it's single track with passing places. The Crask Inn is the one stopping place on that section of the journey.

PH

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2022, 03:03:05 pm »
It's actually the B873 / B871.
There's a choice from Altnaharra, follow the Naver on the B road, or through Tongue on the A road, they're both excellent.  This party can't do both and I expect their route is already decided.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2022, 08:06:43 pm »
Thanks for the correction.
B873 indeed.
I recall meeting a chap on that stretch who was walking LEJOG. His wife was in support with a van.
It's that kind of road; always something new/ unusual to see.

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Rgill

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2022, 09:09:28 pm »
Evening all from Yarm,lovely days cycle and thank you all for the route comments, support team are geared up for coffee support on route in Scotland  though I think a drink at the Crast inn will be had.

Kate is looking for some saddle  advice see below hope you enjoy her musings,

Day 12, York to Yarm, 55.5 miles, 4hours 35 minutes and 1800 feet of ascent.  The first night in York after our 87 mile ride, I dreamt that I was cycling, and I couldn’t get my feet off the pedals because they were glued on.  I had to wake myself up to stop my dream me cycling. Intruding on my subconscious now as well.
  Today was the first day of cycling with 6 of us, as Richard and Debbie have joined for the last leg up to John O’Groats. We set off from York knowing that we will come back for a longer stay, as it is absolutely beautiful, with lots of gorgeous shops and pubs. We went along the River Ouse for a short while and then on cycle paths through lots of lovely villages in North Yorkshire, Helperby Brafferton the most unusual name.
Sting’s Fields of Gold came to mind as we cycled through fields of golden barley - the North East is full of them.
We stopped off for coffee in Tollerton and met Alfie the 6 month old Barn Owl - absolutely beautiful.  If we had been driving we would never have noticed the tea house - there are so many more places to see when cycling than speeding by in a car.
I noticed that Debbie can sit on her saddle with her feet on the ground.  She explained it is because she has long legs.  With my feet on the ground my saddle sticks into my back, so I spent the next few minutes pondering whether I have in fact after 60 years got short legs. I have never thought of them as short, and decided that it probably has more to do with bike proportions than body proportions, and I don’t need another bodily hang up.
We celebrated passing the half way mark - (only half way!!!!) with a stop in North Allerton at Betty’s.  We didn’t realise it was the same Betty’s as York, and felt very underdressed in our cycling kit, as well as causing a bit of carnage on the pavement outside with 6 bikes and all our gear. Another opportunity to have a Yorkshire  Fat Rascal -at 850kcal Ravi and I shared one, and also shared a Yorkshire Curd Tart at 522kcal.   Richard calculated that we must have used 1000 kcal in the morning’s ride, although I have yet to be convinced it is enough of an excuse!
My obstetrician in my first pregnancy informed me that you could get a double decker bus up my pelvic outlet.  I think he meant this as a reassuring compliment, but Ravi and I were both alarmed for different reasons.  I wondered why I would want to get a bus UP my pelvic outlet, and more importantly if I was going to have a baby as big as a double decker bus.  Izzy was, and still is, petite and beautiful.  You may wonder what this has to do with bikes - when we first bought the E bikes they came with very large padded saddles. Great I thought, my enormous pelvis will be very comfy on this.  Alas not, as I kept slipping forward onto my peroneal nerve and getting a completely numb perineum, which would slowly come back to life when the pressure was taken off, a very peculiar sensation.  I was not going to be able to ride any great distance like this, so I had a bike fit, and was introduced to the science of sit bone measurements. They changed my saddle to a smaller, narrower female saddle with a hole in the middle.  This was great, and kept my sit bones in the correct position and took all the pressure off my perineum, but on my birthday (yes my birthday) Ravi took me for a 50 mile bike ride, and I ended up with bruises on my sit bones.  We then researched and bought an SQ lab Ergolux 6.02 Active saddle, 16 inch.  In Bristol we changed this for a 15 inch and added a gel seat cover, as Gareth and Heleen have used these and are very comfortable. However, I am still slipping forward and seem to be unable to keep myself in the correct position.  When my sit bones are back I can drive harder through my legs, and then I slip forward.  I seem to be constantly wriggling about.  You would have thought that after 1 year’s preparation we would have sorted this out.  Ravi spent 700 miles riding a leather Brooke’s saddle, which eventually wore him in, so he gave up and got the same saddle as me. I am not sure if my problem with the saddle is solvable, but we have moved the nose up a little for tomorrow.   I suspect it might have more to do with core muscles, which were not very popular when we were young, and which I only heard about when the kids went sailing.  I only found mine a few years ago when I started Pilates. If anyone has any saddle advice, this would be gratefully received!
Today’s ride was described as short - which is amazing, as before we started this would have seemed huge!  Must be getting stronger.  My cold is getting better - I only got through one pack of tissues and no dangerous sneezing. Tomorrow north of Newcastle to Whitley Bay.  Very exciting.

JohnR

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2022, 10:03:01 pm »
For saddle height see this guidance https://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/bike-set-up-2017a.pdf (PH posted this link recently). I wonder if the saddle is too high. What does the test on the 5th page reveal? I haven't tried that test myself as my own criterion for saddle height is that I can put the front of my left foot on the ground when seated in the saddle for convenience when starting and stopping. Small adjustments to the angle and distance from saddle to handlebars can make significant differences to the comfort. Change one thing at a time and then, after an hour or more of riding, consider if it feels better or worse than before.

Rgill

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2022, 07:31:33 am »
Hi John

Have gone through that article in the past, Kate’s knee replacement limits her a little which why the seat is a bit higher than usual otherwise it becomes very difficult to pedal. Have nosed up a fraction last night and next step will be as you suggest to move forward a fraction if still not quite right.

Off to Whitley bay today through Sunderland, Newcastle and Teeside, have my swimmers with me but not sure I am brave enough to to try the North Sea

Rgill

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2022, 09:28:11 pm »
Day 13 Yarm to Whitley Bay, north of Newcastle, 46.8 miles, 4 hours 37 minutes and 2048 feet of ascent.Set out from the pretty town of Yarm and almost immediately found National Cycling Network path 1, which apparently goes all the way from the North  East to Kent. Another adventure awaits!  The path was narrow, wide, smooth and bumpy in parts, but no cars - only dogs to look out for and people.  Most dog owners are brilliant with their dogs when they see bikes coming, and so far we have only had one dog related incident where one came out right in front of Gareth.  We are now extremely cautious.
My E bike again turned itself off.  This time I felt a wave of disappointment - to have got so far and not be able to continue would be awful.  We did manage to get it working again, and we think that it is a loose connection when I go over very rough ground.  The York bike shop said it is a common problem, as jotting around seems to loosen the battery, particularly in a very well known make of E bike. We remedied it by turning off the Nyon and taking it off, and then taking the battery out, replacing it and then putting the Nyon back on.  Power back on and ride continued.
Saddle update - Ravi moved the nose of my saddle up slightly, and it is a bit better.  Basically I just have to get on with it!
We passed signs for Durham, and then  had tantalising glimpses of the sea on route, arriving in the centre of Sunderland, desperate for coffee, as we had found no where all morning to enjoy our morning fix. In fact we all had to resort to a wild wee along the side of the path, as there were no pubs open and none of the other usual places we have found en route - garden centres have been good options.
We cycled down to the sea front and found a bike cafe opposite the beach where Milo and the Lasers launched through the harbour at the Laser Qualifiers.  Ravi reminisced about towing trailers up to Sunderland, sharing towing with Grant Ford when George and Milo were sailing.  I hadn’t realised Sunderland was so pretty, lots of trees and beautiful beaches - couldn’t see anyone swimming in the sea however, far too cold.
From Sunderland we peddled on through South Shields, and took the foot passenger ferry across the River Tyne to North Shields.  Graham Wallis had challenged us to sing Fog on the River Tyne by Lindisfarne, so we practiced last night, but all we could manage was the chorus, as there were far too many words and notes in the verses.  At the ferry terminal we met a lady who asked where we were going.  We proudly told her to Whitley Bay and then on to John O’Groats.  She then told us she had walked from John O’Groats to Lands End in 64 days, and was currently walking from Dover to Cape Wrath, carrying a small backpack. Wow! The second put down of the day came from our Guest house hostess.  She asked how far we had ridden - just under 50 miles, and told us that is nothing, as she had a group of cyclists yesterday who left at dawn to cycle to Ayr by sunset. This was her greeting to us, which was marginally better than last night’s host who saw my E bike and called me a cheat.  I showed him my scar on my knee, and he showed me his!
We have just got back from having a wonderful curry, and are all slightly worried about the effect this may have on our cycling tomorrow. Let’s hope there are some more toilets along the way!

Rgill

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2022, 09:27:55 pm »
Day 14, Whitley Bay to Bamburgh, 61.5 miles, 5 hours 21 minutes and 2641 feet of ascent. Ravi kept telling us we were going to Battenberg, which left us all slightly bemused.  I think he was trying in his dyslexic way to say BEBBANBURG, from Uhtred and the Bernard Cornwall series, The Last Kingdom instead of a cake.
We left Whitley Bay and our very eccentric guest house owner and Co Co the dog at 8am and set out on the beautiful coastal cycle paths all along.  A lot of the paths we have cycled on have been funded by the EU both here and in Cornwall, ironic indeed.
After a little way we stopped to compare how far each of our sat Nav’s had said we had cycled.  Mine always seems to read a little more than everyone else’s.
About a year ago, Ravi accused me of grinding.  I was surprised to say the least, having been married for 30 years, and thinking it meant something else (coffee beans of course).  I used to cycle a bike with only 3 gears, and have been used to having a high gear, and pushing hard on the peddles, ie grinding. He told me that I should be lowering my gear and increasing my cadence to stop my knees hurting.  I of course completely ignored him, as why take advice for free when you can pay for it.  At the aforementioned bike fit they explained that for every revolution of my peddles, the wheels of the bike go round and round.  The faster I can peddle, ie the higher my cadence, the less force goes through my knees.  They advised to increase my cadence to 70.  At my next follow up bike fit the ex professional cyclist told me I should be aiming for 90. 
As a result, my legs seem to go round faster than everyone else’s, and I wondered if this was why I always seem to go slightly further.  However, I quickly dismissed this as of course there must be some mathematical formula with takes Revolutions per minute and force to make distance, so I have just more revs than the others and they have more force, so our distance should be the same.  I decided I must wiggle a bit more, and anyway, it always feels like I do more than the others.
I digress - the stunning coast line is absolutely beautiful, and this is an area we will definitely come back to.  We stopped at Creswell beach for a coffee and cake - incredible little beach with hardly anyone on it. Another gem we wouldn’t have seen from a car.
On along the England Coastal Path to Alnwick - pronounced Alick, and lunch at Barter Books - incredible second hand bookshop, that yes Jo Helas, Grampa Chris would have loved! Quick ice cream and then on, to get a glimpse of Alnwick castle - where the first two Harry Potter books were filmed - with a considerable amount of CGI.  Ravi also tried to tell us that Downton Abbey was filmed here, but we remained unconvinced, particularly as we were not going to pay the £19 entry fee to go and have a closer look.  We will have to come back again- next time by car.
We still had 18 miles to go, so carried on along the most beautiful coastal paths and then onto roads.  At this point the pedal bikes had an advantage over the E bikes - on relatively flat smooth roads they were going at 19 mph with the wind behind.  The E bikes don’t give power after about 15/16mph, so we were struggling to keep up.  Just wait for the hills of Scotland!
We eventually caught glimpses of Bamburgh castle - an incredibly impressive castle, which doesn’t look anything like Uhtred’s, but is amazing.  There is a cricket pitch in the shadow of the castle, right by the beach.
After dinner we wondered down to the beach, looking up at the castle, and met a lady who must have been in her early 80s who said that she went cycle camping with her children in the Hebrides every year.  Outdone again! This is my favourite place so far - we will come here again. The skies are enormous, and luckily for us we have had an absolutely beautiful sunny day.  So much so that my thumbs and fingers are burnt - another over 60 first!

Rgill

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2022, 09:32:34 pm »
Day 15, Bamburgh to Dunbar, SCOTLAND! 58.1 miles, 5 hours 17 minutes and 3901 feet of ascent. Today was a very tough day.  For Richard and Debbie it was their 4th day of cycling, which for us back in Cornwall was really hard.  This was also a longer distance, with more climbing, a real test for them post covid.  We set off full of enthusiasm, as the expected rain had not arrived, under brooding clouds. We were on a coastal path 1 for just over 2 hours, and the amazing Bamburgh castle could be seen for miles- at 22 miles we could still see it.  Some of the path was really rough and definitely off road - I have, however, now remembered to turn my front suspension on- at last. Ravi had a slight injury trying to avoid Richard, who had got stuck in some sand - probably best not to be too close to the bike in front in this situation. At one point we came across a padlocked gate across our path, and had to lift the bikes over the fence - easy with the normal bikes, and needing several people for the E bikes.
Unfortunately the tides were wrong for us to go to Lindisfarne, so we just watched some cars trying to get along the causeway almost underwater.
We carried on through beautiful villages, with impressive stone built farms, very neat and tidy, and after what seemed like an eternity reached Berwick - upon - Tweed, the most northerly town in England. We were still not half way, but this was going to be our only chance to get a coffee, before Richard and Debbie started to get withdrawal headaches.
We were recommended a coffee place in Berwick, owned by Dan who roasts his own coffee beans.  Best coffee we have had yet, and more importantly, a toilet.
Off we went after lunch and after a few kilometres saw a sign for Scotland - this was not the way we were meant to go, but headed towards it for a photo shoot, very excited.  From there on the day got tougher, with long hill after long hill, as well as midgies - in the mouth, up the nose, everywhere. We knew we were in Scotland.
In the mornings when I am full of enthusiasm and porridge, I can keep up and feel like this is the best thing I have ever done.  By 4 hours on the bike I want to give up, and I feel like I am starting to drop back, and struggle to keep up with the others.  If this was a game show I would be the weakest link, and be eliminated - thankfully it is not, and we all wait for each other if anyone drops behind.
At these times I start to sing to myself - started with Jerusalem, but gave up as I didn’t know the words.  All things Bright and Beautiful - but they weren’t, so that was no good.  Tried a few, as Milo Gill-Taylor would call them, choral bangers, but settled on ”My paddles Clean and Bright“ which we used to sing when canoeing in Canada (or as Izzy says, Green and White).  When going up really difficult hills I chant to myself ”Dig deep, dig deep” or another of my favourites is “Buttocks Buttocks” - another of those delicious B words and actually helps direct my attention to the area of my body that most requires it.  I think my joy of B words comes from Blackadder and Bob.
As we were coming over the hills we saw an enormous building - a Nuclear Power Station, followed by landfill site and concrete making plant.  We did wonder where Ravi was taking us, but Dunbar turned out to be a very pretty little village on the Firth of Forth.
By the time we arrived it felt like my helmet had shrunk, or my head had swollen, and my neck was aching. Everyone else was feeling the same, and we realised it must be because we are all over 60 and most of today’s ride was off road, and very rough.  All the jolting and shuddering really takes a toll, and we were all exhausted.
Tomorrow we are leaving early as the wind will be picking up and will be against us. Through Edinburgh to Kinross- another long day but Ravi promises me less hills.  Do I believe him?

John Saxby

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2022, 03:33:58 am »
Fabulous landscape photos!

Songs to cycle by, eh?  "Jerusalem" was my mum's favourite, and I can't sing that on the bike -- I get all choked up and teary-eyed, and endanger myself & others.  Paddling in Canada is a different bizness altogether -- "Lloyd George knew my father" always worked well, tho' it used to exasperate my daughter.  If I was feeling a bit poetic, Stan Rogers' "The Northwest Passage" has suitably broad horizons for any kind of transport, but esp waterborne.  Theresa Brewer's "Paddle Your Own Canoe" is spot-on thematically, but far beyond my limited range  ;)

And hey! There is now a bikepacking trail in Eastern Ontario & W Québec, named after "The Log-Driver's Waltz".  The McGarrigle Sisters' lovely version of that song adorns the NFB animated film by the same name.

Here you go: https://www.nfb.ca/film/log_drivers_waltz/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 02:59:17 pm by John Saxby »

JohnR

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2022, 07:41:51 am »
I'm continuing to follow this adventure in awe of the progress being made. It seems that all the other challenges have pushed the saddle issues to the background.

Rgill

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2022, 09:53:31 pm »
Day 16, Dunbar to Kinross, 64.7 miles, 6 hours 10 minutes and 4135 feet of climbing. Very hard, beautiful but emotional day.
It‘s Richard’s 64 birthday today - what a way to celebrate! We left at 830am this morning from a slightly chilly Dunbar and arrived in Kinross at 5.30pm- so actually took us 9 hours with stops. The morning started well along the Scottish coastal path, the Saltaire Trail, with the wind in our faces. Solidly built houses and beautiful beaches. We passed through a village and passed a bike shop - managed to get a long fingered thin pair of gloves to cover my burnt fingers - better than wearing the silk liners I had been wearing under my fingerless gloves, and they are red! The bike shop man said he had never heard of burnt fingers before.
Ravi started pain free after his injury yesterday, but after 18 miles, his leg started to hurt like a red hot poker, so at midday we found a pub to stop at to assess our options.  Ravi decided that the best thing to do would for him to stop cycling, as he didn’t think he could go on.  Tom and Celeste came to our rescue in their van, and Ravi’s bike was put on the trailer. It felt agonising that Ravi should be the one to use the support vehicle - I had always thought that I would be the one to be rescued at some point.   This was Ravi’s dream, and he has spent the last few years pouring over books and maps, and planning the route, and booking our accommodation. We felt very emotional saying goodbye as he got into the van, but he asked me to continue for him.  I had a little cry in the toilets.
I had to pull myself together pretty quickly, as crying with an already blocked nose is not a good idea - my cold is still with me, ears blocked, but feeling better. Only getting through 2 packs of tissues now rather than 3.
We carried on towards Edinburgh, and went through the city on a series of bike paths- through a beautiful park full of life and people enjoying the bright sunshine. The next excitement was the Firth of Forth bridge - we crossed over on the middle bridge, the old train bridge to our right and the new Queensferry crossing carrying all the traffic.  It was incredible cycling over the almost deserted bridge right up to the middle, where we were at 172 feet with the wind almost blowing us off.
After the bridge we started climbing steadily, and realised that we had had no lunch - the only place we could find in the nearest village was a Gregs, so Richard ate his birthday sausage roll standing outside on the pavement.
Passed the outskirts of Dunfermline, and then out into the country and more climbing - almost straight up to 950 feet, but with forests on one side and incredible views of the mountains in the distance on the other - tough but worth it, and had to dig very deep. 12 miles from Kinross we could see the town tucked away in the valley, tantalisingly close, but still up and down hills to get there.
Richard managed the entire ride in Eco, and Debbie only used a bit of Tour (Eco/Tour/Sport/Turbo are the levels of support on an E bike).  They have said that they want to feel like they could have done this on an ordinary bike.  I tried for a few days last week to use as little power as possible, but have now become more generous with it, as occasionally my knee twinges.  We don’t need both of us hitching a ride in the support vehicle.
Surprisingly, this was the first day my sat nav actually got me to our destination - every other day it has given up quite early in the day.  I think it knew that I needed looking after as Ravi wasn’t there, just in case I got lost - no chance of that as my fellow riders kept me firmly in the middle. 
I missed Ravi all afternoon, and realised what an incredible support he is to me, sharing his snack bars, encouraging me on the way, cycling up to me and checking that I am okay, telling me that I can do this.
We have 5 more days of cycling, a few tough days to come but the end is now in sight. Tomorrow is a shorter day, thank goodness.