Author Topic: Unpacking my S&S Nomad MkII from the S&S Backpack Case  (Read 26444 times)

flocsy

Re: Unpacking my S&S Nomad MkII from the S&S Backpack Case
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2023, 01:39:12 am »
Mickeg, I see on your picture that you use some handlebag. Can you write about that (or other more recent bag that you use)? Am I right in guessing that one of the considerations was to have a bag that can be squeezed into one of the panniers while on the flight?

flocsy

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2023, 12:07:26 pm »
I just came up with an idea to use the whole trolley-bag (55x40x23 cm) and carry-on bag (personal item) (40x30x20 cm) limit to it's maximum:
The 40 L (2x20) Ortlieb panniers are: h: 42cm, upper w: 32cm, lower w: 23cm, d: 17cm
My idea is to pack 2 of the rear panniers almost fully (keep them a little bit thin) and put them in a huge plastic bag. Or just use the bungee cords to hold the two together this way (see attached image), that would give roughly a (32+23)x42x17 cm pack, utilizing the maximum trolley-size. If it's not tightly packed then it should be possible to fit it to the cage the cheap airlines use to check the size.

As for the carry-on item:
I could even take the handlebar-bag as is (the 6.5 l version: 24x13x18) in a plastic bag (or a dry bag that could be fixed with bungee on the rear rack) as the carry-on bag and even have some extra clothes thrown below it. This should be enough for a 10 days trip, without front panniers.

Hopefully there will be enough space in the S&S soft case for tent poles and stakes and the swiss army knife :)

flocsy

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2023, 12:08:44 pm »
attachment for the previous comment:

mickeg

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2023, 07:46:02 pm »
Handlebar bag is almost a decade old, long discontinued. 

On one trip it was my personal item to carry on the plane, the other it was inside my checked bag. 

Why would you want the bag to be empty in a bigger bag on the plane?  Fill it with stuff and pack that in a bag.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 07:49:20 pm by mickeg »

flocsy

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2023, 07:07:59 am »
I bought the S&S coupled Nomad 565L :)
I am about to buy the things I'll need for getting the bike back home (and for the tour)

Which one of these frame protectors fits the Nomad?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/s-and-s-machine-cordura-frame-protection-padding-75-inch-width-per-10-ft-roll/
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/s-and-s-machine-cordura-frame-protection-padding-9-inch-width-per-5-ft-roll/
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/s-and-s-machine-cordura-frame-protection-padding-4-inch-width-per-5-ft-roll/
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/s-and-s-machine-cordura-frame-protection-padding-55-inch-width-per-5-ft-roll/

I also plan to cut 2 pieces of plastic tube to put between the fork and the rear triangle with the QR axle to keep them from bending. What dimensions should the pipes be?

Also: do I need any tool for detaching/attaching the cable splitters or is that done by bare hand?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 07:10:04 am by flocsy »

PH

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2023, 03:36:30 pm »
I am about to buy the things I'll need for getting the bike back home (and for the tour)

Congrats on the new bike, hope it's everything you hope it'll be.
The trad method of protecting frames in transit, and what Thorn use when shipping new bike, is pipe lagging.  Cheap and effective, though not as easy to carry around between uses.  I haven't seen those purpose made protectors, I'm not sure they'd be my first choice, though anything helps.  When I bag my Airnimal for travel, I use neoprene strips, a fraction of the price, I just wrap a bit of tape round them, I keep meaning to sew some Velcro on, but laziness has prevented me!  For dropout protectors, I don't think you can beat the right purpose made thing and any bike shop probably have some that will otherwise go in the trash.  If you want to cut pipe it'll be 100 and 135mm.

mickeg

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2023, 04:19:00 pm »

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/s-and-s-machine-cordura-frame-protection-padding-75-inch-width-per-10-ft-roll/
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/s-and-s-machine-cordura-frame-protection-padding-9-inch-width-per-5-ft-roll/
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/s-and-s-machine-cordura-frame-protection-padding-4-inch-width-per-5-ft-roll/
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/s-and-s-machine-cordura-frame-protection-padding-55-inch-width-per-5-ft-roll/

I also plan to cut 2 pieces of plastic tube to put between the fork and the rear triangle with the QR axle to keep them from bending. What dimensions should the pipes be?

Also: do I need any tool for detaching/attaching the cable splitters or is that done by bare hand?

I do not use any of that S&S branded padding.  I have used plastic shelf liner in pieces approximately 40 X 40cm and 40 X 80cm. 

The first post in this thread, the second or third photos, where you see green, that is the plastic that I am talking about.  It is very soft plastic.  I only put it against the parts of the bike that are physically in contact with other parts, so that they do not chaff against each other.

Some people buy the padding that can be wrapped around tubes and secured with velcro, or padded tubing that can be slid over the tubes. But in my opinion, it is a touring bike, a few nicks in the paint are expected.

But if you want to give it a lot of protection, go ahead.  That however could make it harder to fit in the case.

The plastic tubes that I use between the dropouts are 100 and 135mm in length, 135mm in rear.  I would suggest against quick release levers for that, as that might be a good way to damage a lever if something pressed against it.  On my Iceland trip, as I was packing up my bike to leave, two Italians asked me if I knew where a bike shop was that was open (it was on a Sunday), I did not know where any bike shops were and told them that.  Both of them had front skewers that had been bent when their bikes were shipped.  They were stranded until they could replace the skewers.

I use Halo brand XL skewers that require a 5mm allen wrench to open and close.  (I carry a spare 5mm allen wrench with my spare tubes.)  I mainly do that as a theft preventative measure, but there is no lever sticking out that could be bent in packing the bike.  I think I cut the front Halo skewer to be shorter.  The thick dropouts on the Nomad Mk II is why I bought the XL version.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/black-halo-xl-hex-key-skewer-set/?geoc=US

There is only one spring on the Halo brand skewers, most use two.  And one end has a tab, the tab goes in the slot of the dropout to keep the nut from turning, that tab can be bent if you do not make sure it is in the slot.  So, the Halo ones take a bit of getting used to for installation compared to other brands.

If I recall correctly, there is only one cable splitter on the Nomad Mk II S&S frame.  I think it is intended to be used with the rear brake.  I do not use that splitter.  I am pretty sure that no tools are needed to split it and re-connect it.  I think it has a tiny little setscrew that uses a very small allen wrench when a cable has to be changed, but I have not looked at it for years, I could be wrong on that.  I am more used to the Ritchey brand splitters.

If you are new to the Nomad Mk II, you may have seen comments on this forum that people found a need to replace the eccentric.  I can only think of two reasons for that, (1) corrosion may have made it stick to the frame or to the bottom bracket or (2) it became grooved where the setscrews indent the eccentric in too many places.

In this posting, I describe how I adjust the chain to make sure that the eccentric does not become grooved.
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14475

If you ever lose one of those set screws that Thorn uses to hold the eccentric in place, you might have trouble sourcing a replacement.  I bought a spare to carry on tour, although I likely will never need it because of my "rubber bands" that prevent the set screws from vibrating loose and falling out.

Mine is a 590M, a bit bigger than yours.  I suspect that yours will pack into a case easier than I do for that reason.  And if yours is flat bars instead of drop bars, that should make it even easier.

If you do not have a small luggage scale, I suggest you get one.  It will help avoid over-weight charges when you fly.  I think the cheaper ones are as good as the more expensive ones, you mainly want a very tiny one that is easy to pack because on a trip you likely will only use it at the start and finish.

If you have to replace a shifter cable, Rohloff instructions use a metal tube that is 200mm long.  I instead carry two pieces of plastic drinking straw that is 100mm each.  But I also carry a cable that is cut to length.  Last time I changed cables, I made sure that I had a third one cut to the right length for that purpose.

Some of the Rohloff specific screws use a T20 wrench.  Buy one to carry on a tour in case the shifter comes loose from the handlebar.  Also used in a few other places.  They are quite cheap at a good hardware store.

Look at the Thorn video on changing Rohloff oil before you try it.  I do not recall the link.

If you have CSS rims, they take special brake pads.

That is about all I can think of that you need to know.  First time you pack the bike in a case, take lots of photos of how you unpacked it so that you can refer to the photos next time to refresh your memory on how it all goes together.  It is an iterative process to get it packed, as different sized bikes get packed differently.  Thorn says that the fork will not fit in the case, but I pack the fork in the case.  When I have flown with my Nomad Mk II, I had two checked bags, some things would not fit in the bike case, like the rear rack.  And the case and bike exceed the weight limits for airlines, so some of it has to go in the other bag.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 01:49:28 pm by mickeg »

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2023, 11:16:49 am »
Some of the Rohloff specific screws use a T20 wrench.  Buy one to carry on a tour in case the shifter comes loose from the handlebar.  Also used in a few other places.
There used to be Thorn's own multitool which included T20 but it appears to have been discontinued. Another multitool which includes T20 (albeit very small) is the Topeak X-Tool+.

PH

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2023, 11:33:02 am »
There used to be Thorn's own multitool which included T20
This one?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/thorn-cycles-20-function-multi-tool-cordura-case-with-t20-tool-ideal-for-rohloff/

It's a wonderful tool, I've carried it for thousands of miles and it's kept all breakdowns away, so hasn't been used!

JohnR

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2023, 12:14:54 pm »
There used to be Thorn's own multitool which included T20
This one?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/thorn-cycles-20-function-multi-tool-cordura-case-with-t20-tool-ideal-for-rohloff/

It's a wonderful tool, I've carried it for thousands of miles and it's kept all breakdowns away, so hasn't been used!
Thanks. I looked but couldn't find it although it was hiding in plain sight.

PH

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2023, 10:31:18 pm »

Thanks. I looked but couldn't find it although it was hiding in plain sight.

I'm sure it used to be branded as something else and available elsewhere. I can't remember what or where and it's been bugging me since I posted earlier.  If anyone knows, please put me out of my misery...

mickeg

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2023, 01:46:36 am »
I'm sure it used to be branded as something else and available elsewhere. I can't remember what or where and it's been bugging me since I posted earlier.  If anyone knows, please put me out of my misery...

The only bike fittings that I have run across that needed a Torx tool with a size 20 had a Rohloff or B&M light.  Tubus racks come with Torx bolts, but I always used allen wrench bolts so I do not know if the Tubus bolts were T20 or not.

And with the rare usage of T20 bolts on bikes, I have never seen a multi-tool come with a T20.  T25, yes, a lot of disc rotor bolts are that size so that is common on multi-tools.

So, if someone else made that tool before Thorn, it would be a surprise to me.

flocsy

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2023, 10:59:05 am »
I am now unpacking the bike and reassembling it. I found this "thing" in the bag, must have been fallen off from somewhere but I can't find where it fits. Any idea?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 04:40:07 pm by flocsy »

mickeg

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2023, 10:09:46 pm »
I do not recognize that.

mickeg

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2023, 10:14:50 pm »
One more thing.

If you have the fork out of the frame, look inside the head tube to see if you can see openings for the top tube and down tube.  Or, is there a piece of tape that covers those openings?

If there is no tape, put a piece of tape over the openings. 

When it rains, water can get past the top headset and into the headtube.  And if there is no tape covering the openings, water could get into the top tube and down tube.  And those tubes are sealed at the other ends, so the water would accumulate instead of drain out.