Author Topic: Help with rack mounting, please  (Read 202 times)

deejayen

Help with rack mounting, please
« on: July 15, 2024, 01:02:40 pm »
I have a recumbent bike, and would like to fit some sort of front platform rack.  I'd like the rack to be an 'extension' of the bike's frame, in that it wouldn't turn with the steering.

What sort of rack would fit, and how would I safely mount it to the bike?

I've included a picture of my bike, plus a coupe of rack examples.  The Moulton rack is just an example of the type of rack I would like (a platform rack which doesn't turn) with the forks/wheel.  The Steco rack is designed to mount to the headtube, but my bike doesn't have a sufficiently long head tube.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Help with rack mounting, please
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2024, 02:44:35 pm »
Deejay,

You may be looking for something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/DutchDog-Britch-Front-Bicycle-Rack-Hitch/dp/B07PGH8212/ref=asc_df_B07PGH8212/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=692875362841&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4567277056311950040&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033026&hvtargid=pla-2281435178058&psc=1&mcid=cd6251fe4c183d1fab95a29bac1c4a5c&hvocijid=4567277056311950040-B07PGH8212-&hvexpln=73&gad_source=1
...or this one...
https://www.amsterdam-bicycle.com/shop/options_accessories/options/aluminum-front-rack/
...or...
https://hembrow.eu/frontrack.html

I'm not sure these will provide the required angle to sit level on your recumbent. I know there are others in my linkfile collection but I am struggling to find them at the moment.

The hobbyist framebuilder in me sort of cringes at the idea of clamping onto what may be unbutted sections of frame tubing but with adequate sleeving it can work.

Keep an eye open for conflict between the frame-mounted rack supports and your steering rod at full lock in either direction. You may be better off with a custom/modified rack sleeve-mounted to the top tube, and ultimately secured by the three-boss mount on top.

Hope this helps!

Best, Dan.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 02:46:32 pm by Danneaux »

deejayen

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2024, 03:10:01 pm »
Thanks very much, Dan!

I'll look at those racks in more detail and will try to imagine how they might fit my bike, along with any potential problems.  It looks like at least one of the racks isn't currently available.

I'm also wary about clamping anything to the frame tubes.  I had thought about using something on the top tube, but wasn't sure how well it would work, and if it would need also need supporting in additional dimensions (ie to stop the rack flexing or twisting around the frame).  There's quite a lot going on in that area of my bike, with the steering tube, brake hoses, and headset etc., not to mention my feet!  The light mount could probably be removed if I fitted the light to the rack, although the light wouldn't then move with the steering.

I had also thought about using the three bosses on the top tube, but I'm not sure how strong they are.  When I tried to remove the bolt from the first one (nearest the head tube) the rivnut slackened in the frame.  I've been able to tighten it up, but I'm a bit wary of cranking down on the bolts now.  Also, I'm not sure how thick the frame tube is in that area, or if there have been any problems in the past (such as corrosion).

I haven't been able to find any pictures of factory-fitted racks for this type of bike. so I'm not sure if or how they might have been installed back in the day.

It would be nice to have a bit of weight over the front wheel when touring, but if a rack and luggage might cause a problem then I'll leave well alone...

Andyb1

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2024, 05:39:37 pm »
I toured on a Linear recumbent which has a similar long wheelbase (is your bike a Peer Gynt?) and I carried heavy things like tools in a bag mounted just behind the steering head.  Obviously it can not be very wide as it must be away from your feet but it is amazing how secure a bag can be with velcro on the frame and a few straps to pull the bag against the velcro.  The Linear did have the advantage of having a square section frame.
Obviously having water bottles mounted to the bosses (rather than carrying water in panniers) also keeps weight forward.

deejayen

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2024, 05:51:14 pm »
Thanks, Andy!

Yes, it's a Peer Gynt. 

I actually bought a strong cargo cage for it, and was planning to mount that using the bosses on the top tube.  I thought I might be able to carry a tent or something similar in a drybag (using Voile straps) , assuming the drybag's diameter was slim enough to fit between the crank arms.  I bought the cargo cage after realising a platform rack might be difficult to attach or fabricate (for someone with my limited skills).  However, when going to fit the cargo cage I discovered the loose rivnut, so put the project on hold.  The rivnut seems to be sorted now, so your post has made me remember the cargo cage...