Author Topic: Rohloffs are not invincible  (Read 22965 times)

jags

Re: Rohloffs are not invincible
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2017, 08:39:51 pm »
You would be sadly missed Anto,  you are always good for a laugh and don't take things too seriously.
t.v. ;) cheers bob: lifs to short to be angry with people have the craic as long as your notdoing anyone anyharm.

Javier

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2017, 09:07:03 pm »
"Maybe we could just have a thread where folks could post problems that have come up and whatever resolution. I expect most folks will never have any problem beyond the routine wearing of sprockets and cables. "

In order to not biased the information we should record both, problems and no problems when riding a Rohloff (or other gear hub, derailleur,...). I am sure that Danneaux will come with something well thought and useful

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2017, 04:49:08 am »
I am sure that Danneaux will come with something well thought and useful...
Thanks for your kind words and faith in me, Javier.

I will put my thinking cap on.  ;)

All the best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2017, 11:48:03 pm »
I have been out of town bike touring, thus missed the past three weeks of banter on the Rohloff.  Early in this thread, there was mention of water intrusion into the hub.  If you mix oil and water and provide a lot of mechanical mixing, it can form a viscous emulsion.  And the water will continue to corrode and rust things in that scenario.  I never did figure out how the water was getting into my Triumph T100R gearbox, but every gear oil change, the emulsion was thick and poured out of the drain hole pretty slowly.  The internal parts were pretty rusty too, but fortunately it kept running for the 12 years that I rode that bike.

Three years ago I met a gal that had been touring for seven consecutive years.  She estimated that her (non-Rohloff) bike had 100,000 km on it.  She cited how many times various parts of the bike had been replaced, I think the frame was the only thing still original. 

I would be pretty unhappy if Rohloff told me that I had submerged my hub when I had not.  But on the other hand if it had gone 90,000 km before the second time that the internals needed replacement, I would be pretty happy.  I needed major engine work with a similar distance on my Jeep pickup truck and my Land Rover D2.

Tigerbiten

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2017, 01:02:18 am »
Interesting idea. I've not noticed any accounts of someone sending a Rohloff hub back for service when it hasn't had a problem.
I did that after 2 years and +15k miles.
The first summer I did a very wet tour around the UK. The hub must have been underwater at least 5 times.
The second summer I did a tour around Iceland.
So I sent it back to be checked over before touring to the Black Sea and back.
Since then it's done another 3 years and +20k miles.

rualexander

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2017, 07:59:09 am »
Interesting idea. I've not noticed any accounts of someone sending a Rohloff hub back for service when it hasn't had a problem.
I did that after 2 years and +15k miles.
The first summer I did a very wet tour around the UK. The hub must have been underwater at least 5 times.
The second summer I did a tour around Iceland.
So I sent it back to be checked over before touring to the Black Sea and back.
Since then it's done another 3 years and +20k miles.

And how much did the service cost you and what was done to the hub for the service?

RobertL

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2017, 12:37:19 pm »
My Alfine 8 has been problem free after 10,000 miles plus and four years - am a fairweather cyclist but it has got caught in the rain a few times, but no submersion, tiger crossings! Three oil changes.