Author Topic: Which Bike?  (Read 8309 times)

Andybg

Re: Which Bike?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 02:59:19 pm »
I have had two RST over the last 4 years and have been very happy with them. Although they are heavy (not really much difference than a RT) they do "feel" sporty.

I am sure you will be happy with it

Good riding

Andy

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 11:20:10 pm »
RST's RULE
Oh certainly. And mine is a looker!

Janet
PS. I have a photo but its off the SJS Cycles web site and I don't know if I can re-use it. I have it on my computer so as I can look at it all day and dream..........
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 11:26:32 pm »
I have had two RST over the last 4 years and have been very happy with them. Although they are heavy (not really much difference than a RT) they do "feel" sporty.

As long as it can carry my shopping;-)
When you say heavy what kind of weight are we talking about. I expect I will have to carry it at some point (don't you always). I have an ATB (as was) made from Reynolds 531 ATB tubing (very small with 24" wheels). This feels quite light. With your experience would you say a RST would be heavier?
Scout & Bettina's slave!

geocycle

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 08:43:02 am »
Great decision to buy an RST.  I think they are one of Thorn's best designed bikes. Mine's about 1kg lighter than the raven tour it replaced and about 1mph faster on the long term average.  I guess it would be similar weight to a steel mountain bike, perhaps a bit less depending on build but I expect you will find it faster.  Ride quality is excellent, even with panniers on it still is silky smooth.

Neil Jones

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 11:41:04 am »
Another vote here for the RST, great bike.

My experiences are the same as Geocycle's. I have an RST and a Raven Tour, the RST weighs about 14.5 kgs with a Thorn Expedition Rack and Hub Dynamo lighting, the Tour is about 1.5 kgs heavier.

It feels quicker than it actually is due to the fairly tight geometry, I have Rigida Grizzly CSS rims on mine which are heavy and I plan to get lighter rims when funds allow, I'm sure it would make a big difference.

Good luck and hope you get your bike very soon,

Neil

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 01:42:27 pm »
Great decision to buy an RST.  I think they are one of Thorn's best designed bikes. Mine's about 1kg lighter than the raven tour it replaced and about 1mph faster on the long term average.  I guess it would be similar weight to a steel mountain bike, perhaps a bit less depending on build but I expect you will find it faster.  Ride quality is excellent, even with panniers on it still is silky smooth.

Oh I love your bike! Mine will be almost the same but with a honey coloured saddle. I'm going to ask for the Ergon GP-5 grips (like yours) to replace the GP1 grips that are currently on it and I want a 19T sprocket on the back to lower the bottom gear. Other than that it's perfect :-)

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 01:55:35 pm »
Another vote here for the RST, great bike.

My experiences are the same as Geocycle's. I have an RST and a Raven Tour, the RST weighs about 14.5 kgs with a Thorn Expedition Rack and Hub Dynamo lighting, the Tour is about 1.5 kgs heavier.

It feels quicker than it actually is due to the fairly tight geometry, I have Rigida Grizzly CSS rims on mine which are heavy and I plan to get lighter rims when funds allow, I'm sure it would make a big difference.

Good luck and hope you get your bike very soon,

Neil

Thanks for the info. I don't think the rims on mine are CSS's and it doesn't have a hub dynamo (I'm quite happy swopping battery lights between my bikes). I haven't yet got any new racks but as I've got several, including a low rider front rack, hanging up in the garage......... I think I will consider crom-mo racks at a later date.
What is the geometry? I know it's 74 degrees at the rear but I don't know what the front is or the length of the wheelbase. My ATB has a short wheelbase and I keep hitting my heels on the rear (small) pannier.
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 11:50:31 pm »
Say JAnet have u any tours planned for the new baby.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 02:15:35 pm »
I've got to get the thing first, Anto!  The flaming camera has not sold yet and my friend who's buying the lenses is now talking about giving me the money two parts. Do you think Thorn would take part payments? Feeling decidedly p**sed off  :'( :( at the moment.
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 03:50:44 pm »
i'd sat thorn will only take a deposit ,i actually asked that question a few years ago if they would do easy payements i never got an answer probably though the mad irish man is at it again ,but sure no harm asking.
theres a few guys i know photographers do u want me to ask if there interested in your camera lenses.

jags

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 04:06:33 pm »
janet u have a pm .

anto

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 09:24:35 pm »
Yay! I'm getting closer. My Leica lenses have sold. Still waiting for the camera body tho :(
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 09:36:00 pm »
Happy days if u come to Ireland give me a buzz I'm heading up north when the weather gets better April may June ,castlewellan forest park that's the plan possible 2other lads going but nothing set in stone.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 05:01:42 pm »
Hi Anto,

I would love to come to Ireland. I've never been but I believe my paternal family came from Tipperary and as I'm into ancestry I need to see where my roots are from. For my pains I've got Welsh on my mother's side  ;)
However, (there's aways a 'but' isn't there) I have no-one to look after my animals so its a no-no at the moment (and I have no intention of using a cattery/kennels). Thanks for the offer tho.

Janet
(Farrell)
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 05:56:36 pm »
your more than welcome Janet if you never been i'm sure u would love it as long as it doesn't feckin rain  ;D ;D.i had 3 guys from the UK stay here with me  at different times over the years  they all enjoyed it, mind  the wife wasn't to pleased with me with all the extra cooking  :o.

i'm feeding a few ferril cats mother and her 2 kittens  my grandson loves  putting out the milk for them  ;D

anto.