Author Topic: ebay. sherpa 535L  (Read 4475 times)

in4

ebay. sherpa 535L
« on: August 18, 2016, 09:20:07 AM »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: ebay. sherpa 535L
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 02:45:44 PM »
Love it in grey...

Best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 04:20:09 PM »
Yes, that's a classy colour.

The description says that it cost £3000. That seems high to me, considering that it doesn't have a Rohloff or headlight + generator hub (although it does have everything else). For example, this one for sale at SJS is less than £1000 (VAT included):
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bikes/thorn-sherpa-530l-red-touring-bike-brand-new/

- DaveS
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:23:58 PM by David Simpson »

Bill C

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 07:56:05 PM »
Yea but the grand bike at sjs is poo spec in comparison and on a qc fail frame
The grey one is much higher spec, dunno what my Sherpa cost all in but I know I could have got a prebuilt rohloff bike for a lot less than I paid for the Sherpa if I hadn't spent so much on quality components that I bought individually,
but it was my bike for life.........until sjs sold off the xtc stock they had

Some of us spend good money on our bikes even without a Rohloff   ;)
Each to their own innit 8)

David Simpson

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 08:11:58 PM »

I missed that point about the dent in the frame.

... it was my bike for life ... Some of us spend good money on our bikes even without a Rohloff   ;)

Agreed!

- DaveS

Relayer

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 10:23:30 AM »

I missed that point about the dent in the frame.

- DaveS

I took the "slight flat spot" to mean a flaw in the paint finish i.e. matte rather than gloss. I daresay it could also be a dent, but SJS haven't provided a closeup pic to show exactly what the problem is with that frame.

I also agree that £3,000 is extremely high for a XT groupset Sherpa, and I wouldn't describe Deore as a "poo spec" or even poor spec for that matter.   Sputnik rims, Panaracer tourguard, and meccano racks don't exactly shout top drawer at me either.   ;)

The bike's maybe worth £500 second hand though.

Jim

Bill C

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 12:09:09 PM »

Deore on my Marin as it's a base level bike, wouldn't put it on any of my Thorns though!
Sputnik rims have always had good reviews, panaracer tour guard pluses I ditched after a couple of rides, to heavey and sluggish compared to continental travel contacts

Err Meccano racks? No comment lol, but I bought surly nice front and rear  ;)
Doubt it cost 3 grand either, but parts at retail prices for insurance purposes taking in the cost of the powdercoat, I'd of thought well over 2 grand

Thorn prebuilt bikes are very cheap, you can't build the same spec bike for anything like the same price if you have to buy all the components yourself

David Simpson

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 04:58:21 PM »
I took the "slight flat spot" to mean a flaw in the paint finish i.e. matte rather than gloss.

When I read "flat" spot, I didn't even think of matte. I think you are probably right.

In any case, whatever the original price, the grey Sherpa on eBay is a very nice bike, and I hope the seller gets a fair price, since the buyer is certainly getting a good bike.

- DaveS

Bill C

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 05:50:06 PM »
I wonder what the story is behind the need or urge for the powder coat and afternarket seat clamp?

bikerwaser

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 08:33:37 PM »
I was wondering what the Thorn forum thought of this as I thought the £3000 cost was ridiculous.

The standard Sherpa build is £1299 .

if you looks at the "xtras" he's adding it doesn't add up to £3000

I'm guesstimating the extra costs because I couldn't find it on the brochure but my estimates are based on the differential between the standard build and the top grade

Brooks B17..... they put that on for an extra £20 as far as I know
Shimano XT groupset & components (new/unused)not more than £150 upgrade
XT 36 hole hubs. Not more than £100 upgrade
Rigida sputnik nums handbuilt. not more than £100 upgrade

The Racks are £150 for both

Add those upgrades up and we have £570

Add that to the original Build of £1299 and we have £1869.

Lets say I got my sums wrong a little and we head towards £2000.

This guys is trying to take someone for a very expensive ride.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 08:55:38 PM »
I was wondering what the Thorn forum thought of this as I thought the £3000 cost was ridiculous.
I always figure the market will decide. If the price is too high, it won't sell. If even one person feels it is worth it to them, it will sell. Sometimes a high price is posted to allow room for negotiation or to create the perception of greater value.

There's lots of people who value things so highly they never sell. On the other hand, there's those who start with low opening bids and only get a single bid and end up giving away something valuable. It happens both ways.

When I go to sell things on eBay, I take an average of closing prices for completed sales of similar or identical items over the last 90 days or so as my hoped-for price. I set my opening bid for the minimum I will accept and then hope for the best.

Living on the Other Side of the Pond where Thorns are scarce as hen's teeth and the cost of transoceanic and (sometimes) transcontinental shipping and customs and the difference in currency exchange rates must be added, I am always amazed at the comparatively low prices they bring in the UK used market.

It will be interesting to see how this goes.

All the best,

Dan.