Author Topic: New Raven build -- advice sought  (Read 103097 times)

martinf

Re: New Raven build -- advice sought
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2016, 03:18:55 pm »
The biggest thing I learned is that the Mondials are too wide and heavy for my liking.  I think Andy Blanche is spot on saying these work great for expeditions but not for primarily tarmac riding (which will be 90% of what I will be doing).  I am going to give the Marathon Supremes a try as I prefer a narrower tire.

Duremes are also good tyres, not quite as fast as Supremes on good tarmac, but IMO a better choice for gravel tracks and other reasonably light off-road use. I have both Duremes and Supremes (on different bikes).

But, AFAIK, Duremes are now only available from SJS cycles.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2016, 04:13:17 pm »
My experience with Duremes squares with Martin's. I like the tires very much with two caveats:
Mine have never run exactly "round" at the tread despite being seated evenly at the bead (the rigid-bead versions are not so round as the folding models in my experience) and the sidewalls can be a bit vulnerable when running through deep, sharp-edged rock (road ballast). With that in mind, I've found them to be reliable, viable all-'rounders just as Martin has said. There is "enough" tread to provide a reasonable mechanical lock on loose surfaces while being smooth enough to not materially impede progress on good pavement. Ride quality has been good.

That said, I found the Marathon Deluxes on AndyBG's Raven Tour to be very well-suited on my long European tour and especially so on Bulgaria's rough roads and tracks. They ran nicely round, the sidewalls were seemingly sturdier than the Duremes, and the interlocked tread worked well on mixed surfaces. I do think they may have been heavier than my Duremes, but I don't have numbers to compare.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2016, 04:14:14 pm »
Adhesive crank protectors?  What is that?

I generally recommend making small but frequent fit adjustments, instead of an inch, a quarter inch at a time, but keep adjusting until perfect, can take hundreds of miles to get it perfect but once you are close to perfect adjustments are less frequent.

I learned how to bicycle on a British 3 speed.  And for many years rode derailleur bikes before indexed shifting was invented, so on those older bikes you always let up on the pedal pressure when you shifted.  So, Rohloff shifting was pretty normal to me.

Derailleur bikes, my newest build (over the past few months) is a derailleur bike.  I consider myself unbiased, I ride both.

Pedals, I prefer the two sided pedals for touring, one side SPD cleats, other side platform.  Shimano M324 or A530.

Oregon Coast?  Do you have the guidebook yet?  I used the fourth edition (2005) which I think is still the current version.  Slightly dated however, locations of grocery stores, etc., change over time.  You can sometimes find the book used at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Bicycling-Pacific-Coast-Vicky-Spring/dp/0898869544/ref=sr_1_cc_1

I wrote up my observations from Oregon and California at this post:
http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/953756-southt-north-pacific-coast-highway-concerns-3.html#post16933424

I think we stopped at every safeway store we saw, the sale prices required that you sign up for their special card (free) which we did.  Do not forget to bring a cork screw.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:24:35 pm by mickeg »

mickeg

« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2016, 04:21:22 pm »
I am quite happy with Duremes in 50mm width.  I used a Dureme on the front and Extreme (also 50mm) on back for gravel and mixed gravel/pavement touring on my Sherpa.

But, I recently bought another Dureme.  The one that arrived in the mail was the tandem bike version, very stiff and could possibly be the slowest tire I own.  Have not installed it yet, not sure if I ever will.  My positive comments on the Dureme were on the solo bike variety, not the tandem version.

If my understanding is correct, the Mondial replaced the Dureme and Extreme.  But I think the Dureme and Extreme may roll much better, I thought they rolled quite well, but the Extreme on pavement was quite noisy.

djd828

« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2016, 04:27:40 pm »
Mick,

There is a company called Crankskins who make clear adhesive vinyl patches to put on frames and cranks. Sort of like helicopter tape precut into different shapes. I used them on the frame where fenders and cables could rub and they also sent me crank sized protectors that I put on the entire length of the crank. I think thy come in 8-12mm thick.

I do have a brand new set of A530's I bought to put on my LHT but now I am getting so accustomed to the platforms, I don't feel the need to install them...that may change at some point.

I bought the 1.6 inch Supremes which seemed like a good compromise tire for the type of riding planned.

Thanks for the info for the Oregon ride.  Now that the bike is almost finished, I can move on to planning the ride.

mickeg

« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2016, 05:57:28 pm »
On the adhesive, I understand.  I do not try very hard to protect paint except on derailleur bikes where you can have chain slap on the chainstay where I put something on there.  (No chain slap on Rohloff bike, not needed.)  My Campy cranks, most of the printed lettering has worn off.

I have never used the Supremes, but the reports I have read about them suggest that you should be very happy with them.

Where and when for Oregon?  Flying there, driving, or taking Amtrak?  I took Amtrak to Portland, bus to Astoria, then Amtrak from San Fransisco home.

Dan is quite knowledgeable on Oregon, more so than me.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2016, 06:20:16 pm »
Tour plans are subject for another thread, but I am happy to add details and ruminations when it erupts.  ;)

Keeping in mind the need for a new thread on the tour part, you may wish to get a head-start on forming and posing questions by reading these links:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4691.0
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4691.msg29409#msg29409 <== For your proposed timeframe.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=12264&v=2m

It can be awfully cold and wet in May and June on the Oregon Coast, so it would be wise to take some really good rain gear and not be averse to changing plans. Hypothermia is a very real risk. The roadside paths are most ridable southbound and have the best views; the storms also come from the south-southwest, with "good weather" winds coming from the northwest. Result: If you hit storms, you not only get wet/cold, you have really stiff headwinds. In good weather, you not only get superb views from atop 100m high cliffs, you get a most welcome push from tailwinds.

All the best,

Dan. (...born, raised, and living in Oregon)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:12:29 pm by Danneaux »

djd828

« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2016, 09:35:51 pm »
Tour plans are subject for another thread, but I am happy to add details and ruminations when it erupts.  ;)
Dan--yes, I will review the posts you provided before I create another.  I will be working at the Portland Convention Center for two weeks in mid June.  My adventure will start on June 24.  I may just do a circle route starting and ending in Portland and possibly following this route:

https://goo.gl/maps/CSaE3PVdp512

Looks like I may run into some elevation so I will rely on your expert opinion.

Yes, I will certainly bring a corkscrew but I am looking forward more to the beer you have out that way.

I think the thing I am most concerned with is how to get my bike from point A to B when I am not riding it.  Luckily, the organization I work for will be shipping it our for our convention but I have to get it back.  I know Portland is the bike capital of the West (and maybe the US) so I may just have a shop ship it back to me...or at least pack it up for me.

Dave

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2016, 10:14:43 pm »
You're welcome to PM me, Dave. I can't promise an immediate reply as I am pretty busy at present, but will answer as soon as I can.

All the best,

Dan.

djd828

« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2016, 08:07:45 pm »
Good afternoon folks....I wanted everyone to know that the Raven is complete and attached is one of the photos.  I will post some others later.  I will be installing the lights myself sometime in the next couple of weeks.  I can't thank everyone enough for helping me through this and for teaching me more than I ever hoped to know about bike building...and that I had to be somewhat proficient in math to work through some of my decisions.  Thanks to the folks at Cyclesmith's in Louisville for their attention to detail throughout the build process.  A short 13 mile test ride home from the shop in freezing weather and the bike was rock solid.  The difference between the Mondials and Supremes was night and day...a definite improvement for the style of riding I expect to do.

David Simpson

« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2016, 08:35:54 pm »
What a beautiful bike, Dave. Thanks for posting a picture. I like that classic red/chrome theme.

I like how you ended up connecting the front fender to the rack. It looks very tidy. I think you will notice a big difference in how clean the bike (and you) stay when riding in the rain. I also have a rear fender on the front of my bike (copied shamelessly from Dan). If you get a chance, can you post some close-up pictures of that fender/rack attachment? It would be very useful for other people who want to customize their bike like you have done.

- DaveS

djd828

« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2016, 09:00:22 pm »
Dave,

Here is the photo of the front fender attachment to the rack.  The only think I am concerned with the front fender is that it looks like the cut ends of the fender stays come very close to the front fork and could scratch it ....I assume I can add another washer to move it out a bit (sorry for the blurry pic).  I post a few more in another post.

djd828

« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2016, 09:03:28 pm »
Some more pics...

djd828

« Reply #223 on: February 12, 2016, 09:04:40 pm »
Last ones...

David Simpson

« Reply #224 on: February 12, 2016, 09:06:39 pm »
Yes, those fender stays are quite close to the paint. You could either cut them a bit shorter, or possibly fit a rubber cap on the end. Planet Bikes sells these caps (and other fender hardware) quite cheaply, and has free shipping in the continental US.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/smallparts.html#fender%20parts

- DaveS