Author Topic: Tour the Pacific Coast next year. Best time of year?  (Read 6319 times)

Lava

Tour the Pacific Coast next year. Best time of year?
« on: September 20, 2012, 03:26:42 pm »
Hi!

I'm planning a trip from Vancouver to San Diego next year. I think I can use 2 months for the trip. I want to start in the beginning of august.

My question so far, is this a god starting date? How is the traffic situation? Is there a better starting date that is recommended?

Is it time enough to sidetrips?

I ride aprox. 80 - 110 km a day when riding. And enjoy leisure days as well.

Regards

Lars

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Tour the Pacific Coast next year. Best time of year?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 06:12:11 pm »
Hi Lars,

You've a wonderful trip ahead, and are very wise to plan for it starting now. We see a *lot* of cycle-tourists on the Oregon Coast, with a large number of non-Americans coming from Germany. It looks like an Ortlieb and Tubus factory rally each summer! I saw my first-ever pair of Ortlieb panniers on a German tourist's bike there many years ago.

For the Oregon stretch, you're definitely wise to go North-to-South, as the prevailing winds will be with you, you'll be on the ocean side for the best views of the seacoast and magnificent hidden beaches, and -- most importantly -- the traffic-side bike lanes are really configured for going that direction. Going South-to-North is a nightmare for cyclists and drivers alike, with narrow-to-nonexistent lanes, blind corners, and terrible headwinds. Doesn't seem to stop people, though.

Again, as far as the Oregon leg is concerned, I think your timing will be perfect. Summers on the coast here can often be damp, cold, and foggy, with August, September, and especially October being among the most sun-filled. Coast weather is an inverse mirror of what we have in the Valley -- hot/sunny here, cold/wet there and vise versa. The weather will improve as you go further South, and you're in for such a treat. Highlights will likely include the Bodega Bay area north of San Francisco, and then on down to San Diego...sublime.

Your timing will put you in peak whale-migration season, and there's a very good chance you'll spot a number right offshore. I was over at Yachats last week and saw more than a dozen, spouting and frolicking about 300m -- and closer! -- offshore. If you have room, be sure to tuck in some small binoculars or a long camera lens.

As for traffic, you'll have a *lot* of tourist traffic as Americans try to squeeze in a last bit of vacation before Labor Day (September 3rd this year). After Labor Day, it is like someone threw a switch or turned off the tap and car traffic is greatly reduced.

If you could start after Labor Day, you'll have a much quieter time in terms of car traffic. Lodging of all sorts will be more available, and you'll avoid the "tourist burnout" that can sometimes affect the locals. The downside is some services and such that are wholly tourist-dependent may be avaiLable at reduced levels.

Oregon has a number of miimalist "hiker-biker" camps available along your route, and I believe the same holds true for Washington and California. Cyclists don't need the formal amenities RV (caravan) users do -- no electrical or sewer connections, and small spots are fine. The parks department recognizes this, and makes more "traditional/minimal" facilities available, and these often remain unfilled even if the rest of the parks are full-up with no vacancy signs. Don't forget (if you're wild-camping) the side roads on the land-side of Highway 101. These often go up into the hills and just a wee bit off the main highway you can find some really nice spots to stay the night unobtrusively. Do watch for sap dripping from the wind-sculpted shore pines...it is awfully sticky and hard to remove if it gets on your tent or gear and often coats the brush and ground beneath. This caution holds true in formal camps as well. 

I would caution you to take a lock of some sort, even though the bulk of tourists to the Pacific Coast don't, judging by the many bikes I've seen left unlocked outside cafes and grocery stores. This will be a greater necessity in the busier, more populated areas of California, but it is a caution well-heeded Up North as well. I've seen tourists after they returned to find their loaded bikes...gone!...and I don't think there could be an emptier more-lost feeling. Who needs that on a trip? Better to toss in at least a small cable lock to prevent a quick wheel-away of the parked and loaded bike. Always take your handlebar bag, with your documents, money and cards when you leave the bike; they're most frequently targeted by thieves who have learned that's where the Good Stuff lives.For the most part, theft is much less a problem on the Oregon Coast than it is here in the Willamette Valley, but why take the chance?

Take a variety of clothing, as well...stuff you can layer. Though the temperatures aren't extreme, it can still feel cold in the morning due to fog and damp; the afternoons will often be sunny and reasonably warm except for the wind, which you'll be traveling with (tailwinds!). As you go South and progress toward Southern California, you'll have consistently warm, nice weather that time of year, so summer-oriented clothing would be a good choice there; a real contrast compared to raingear and a light fleece Up North. The winter storms come from the South, but you won't find any at the time your trip is scheduled. You won't want to, either; one of last winter's storm winds topped 119mph/192kph.

You'll likely make pretty good time given the prevailing tailwinds, but this will be offset to a degree by the hills you'll encounter. At least here in Oregon, you're unlikely to find the hills terribly steep. For reference, my father (when he was in his mid-70s) and I managed 92mi/148km one day from Yachats to Reedsport and then inland on the Smith River Road. He did fine. Most people who do the trip you're planning stay pretty close to the ocean and ride pretty much just on Highway 101. There's not so much to see right off 101 in Washington and Oregon, but in California, I think you'll want to budget a bit of time to see some of the places nearby. If you can find secure lodging, the Marin Peninsula (Palo Alto, Mill City, Atherton...and Stanford University) is gorgeous to see by bus or bike, and San Francisco can be a nice waypoint if your itinerary takes you near the City itself. I love Carmel, CA (actor Clint Eastwood was their mayor for a time) and would have to see Mazda-Laguna Seca Raceway, but part of me still loves motor racing. You've got a long ways to go, and a reasonable time to do it. I think you'll do fine, see a lot, and have a wonderful time.

Best of luck!

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 07:53:18 pm »
I love Carmel, CA

If by odd chance you like to look at fountain pens, Bittner's is a shop in Carmel that has many unusual and very fine items to admire!

Lava

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:45:02 pm »
Hi!
Thank you for a very informative answer Dan. As I understand it it's somewhere in your  backyard  ;).
Appreciate it very much. Already looking forward to my trip.

Regards
Lars

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 09:15:26 pm »
You're welcome, Lars!

If you have any questions that arise between now and the time of your trip, please feel free to contact me.

All the best,

Dan.

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 09:07:27 pm »
Dan, how is the weather earlier in the year? Would starting from Vancouver at the beginning of May be too early?

thanks,
    George

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 09:52:30 pm »
Hi George!

I'm glad you asked...the weather is likely to be "acceptable" then. Not so many all-sunny days/afternoons, but a mix of temperate weather with sun breaks, clouds, fogs, mist, some rainy periods -- variety! But nothing truly nasty/dangerous as can happen in Winter.

You'll miss the big winter storms that can continue right through March. Those come from the South-southwest from late Fall through the last days of Winter and early Spring; winds hit 119mph/192kph/103knots in Yachats on the central Oregon coast during last year's winter storms.

In May, there will be crystalline-clear days/afternoons with sunshine (warm where it is sheltered from the wind), and days with drizzle/mist and days with fog. It is unlikely it will rain all-day everyday. While the most consistently clear, sunny days seem to be in October, I think you'll be generally okay. Default prevailing winds are from the north, so you'll have some consistent tailwinds. The hills on Highway 101 aren't too bad, in my opinion. be prepared for some wind blasts as you leave some rock-sheltered curves.

I'd say if you have a good tent that keeps you dry (fogs and "Oregon Mist"...a fine, wetting mix can get you as wet as a true downpour), wear layers, and pack (and use) rain gear...you'll be fine in May. A windbreaker will be key to keeping you comfortable. I use an uncoated, light windshell with a front zip and wear it most dry days when riding the Coast. You'll not hit any freezing nights in May, and can pretty well count on daytime temps of about 49-53°F/9-12°C and nighttime temps of about 46-48°F/8-9°C that month.

I hope this helps. Any other questions that occur, just give a shout.

Best (and welcome!),

Dan. (...whose 95 year-old father says only fools and newcomers attempt to predict the weather in Oregon; the Coast especially!)

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 10:50:01 pm »
Thanks, Dan (I've been reading here for a few years, but never needed to say anything before today)!

The west coast tour looks like a really interesting one -- I did the Oregon coast 15 tears ago or so, and really liked it. Since I also love seafood, and enjoy lighthouses, this looks right up my alley.

I'm mostly a motelling person, but figure I'll try camping at least part of the time -- it sounds like it's cool enough for sleeping comfortably. By May, we central Texans already have daytime highs well into the 80s, and lows near 70, so I'll definitely need to bundle up  :).

Norsman

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 07:05:35 am »
I did this trip in 2009. I would highly recommend that you leave in late August or even better early September. That is the time of year I went and the weather was fantastic. Riding north to south I only had about three days of rain and even fewer days with the wind in my face.

There was very little traffic once Labour Day is over. That does become important because the route is not noted for its great roads or shoulders.

The only issue I had was the early morning fog that would roll in on many days. Even so I had great views every day and still think this is the best route in all of North America.

If you have two months to spend on this trip you can take it very slow. I did the trip in 49 days, rest stops included, and only averaged 71km per day from border to border.

Lava

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 12:55:21 pm »
Hi!
I made it!
Started in Vancouver BC august 1 and finished in 47 days including restdays and 2 days in San Fransisco. I had a great ride. The weather was great, some rain 1 afternoon and some foggy mornings. The sun shined even in San Fransisco ;-).

I met wonderful bikers in the campgrounds and we traveled in the same pace many days. Beautiful scenery's along the coast.

I really recommend staying in campgrounds along the coast. It was so fun meeting all the bikers in the evenings or at the lunchstops.

Now I am looking for my next trip. Just now in my mind is the Sierra Cascades tour. I would like to start in Vancouver BC in the spring and is wondering when the best start date would be.

Hope anyone has some ideas.

Regards
Lars

Huernie

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 07:50:20 pm »
Great to find this post. I have literally just bought my flight to Vancouver so I can ride this route starting late June 2014. I will have just under 6 weeks to ride to San Diego and then drive up to Las Vegas for a couple of days of R&R before for my flight back to Scotland. Can't wait.....