Author Topic: Brooks alternatives  (Read 13770 times)

jags

Re: Brooks alternatives
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 03:50:43 pm »
my french buddy rides a saddle like that Andre   1st photo. he's a hell of a good rider.

Andre Jute

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 11:39:12 pm »
If he's married to the Cheeko90, and he knows where to get another one, he should lay in a spare, becauses that ribbed cloth on top wears out. I've never seen the seat offered by a British dealer; mine came from Piet Hagemeier in Holland. When I searched for a new one a couple of years ago I found -- nothing.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:42:16 pm by Andre Jute »

revelo

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 06:13:18 pm »
Selle SMP TRK model for me. This saddle is less comfortable than the Brooks B17 after an hour or so of riding. The discomfort is under the sitbones, due to lack of blood flow. The discomfort disappears completely within a few minutes of getting off the saddle. The B17 was never uncomfortable for me, even when brand new, but I was concerned about long-term damage to the nerves of the genital area, causing eventual impotence. As I wrote elsewhere, this damage is supposedly like the fraying of a multi-stranded rope. You notice nothing until the last nerve strand is broken, at which point the damage becomes very evident in the form of impotence. It will typically take years for the broken nerves to regenerate, or they may never regenerate.

While sitting on the Selle SMP TRK and reaching my hand underneath, it is pretty obvious there is a lot of soft tissue hanging down into the opening in the center of the Selle SMP saddle. While on the B17, that tissue would necessarily be compressed in some way. Perhaps not damaging in my case, since the B17 was never uncomfortable for me, but based on that multi-stranded rope theory of damage to the nerves, I don't want to take the risk.

My comments re comfort of Selle SMP versus Brooks B17 are based on one tour of about 1200 km for the Selle SMP and eight tours totalling over 20,000 km for the Brooks B17. For just riding about town, it makes no difference, since the Selle SMP takes an hour or so to get uncomfortable.

The Selle SMP TRK also weighs less than the B17 and is vinyl coated so doesn't have to be protected from rain. There are also some leather coated Selle SMP models. These are less wide than the TRK model, and so might be more or less comfortable than the TRK, but the leather coating means they would have to be protected from rain, which is a downside. The leather models also cost more. So I'm not planning to switch from the TRK anytime soon.

There is a tendency for some people in the English-speaking world to talk of Selle saddles. Selle is Italian for saddle and there are many Italian makers of bicycle saddles which include Selle in their brand or company name. So be sure to write "Selle SMP" when referring to that specific company/brand name.

[edit to note that b17 was never UNCOMFORTABLE for me]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:44:45 am by revelo »

Bill C

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 01:35:22 am »
i bought a velo orange No5 nos £25 a while ago, laminated underneath to stop water ingress from no mudguards,
it's hard as nails, bought it in black and that's just some gunk smeared over the top (washed it off with a meths soaked rag) and it now looks nicely aged it squeaks like hell, 20 miles and it feels like 50 but i think it will be fine if i ever manage to break it in,it's almost identical to a brooks flyer but with longer rails

I'm thinking of trying one of these next http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html 

jags

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 11:13:01 am »
 ;D ;D ;D
sheldon must be right  ;)

John Saxby

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 02:42:19 pm »
I'm thinking of trying one of these next http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

Make sure you get a QR on your seatpost clamp, Bill. Doubt that anyone would try to pinch your Sheldon Special, & the QR would make it easier to brandish the saddle to discourage an advancing bear or a cheeky raccoon  ;-)

Mike Ayling

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 10:41:20 am »
I have San Marco Rolls saddles on all my bikes:

Thorn Raven tandem
Thorn Mercury
Surly LHT
Old steel MTB non suspension used for shopping etc
Fixie.

Mike

Swislon

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 07:37:21 pm »
I am trying a Brooks Cambium C17 on my Club Tour.
I feel more on top of it than the B17 where I feel "in it" if that makes sense.
It is not hammocky.
So far so good, pretty comfortable. It actually feels more comfortable later in the ride than the beginning which is unusual.
I haven't done more than 40 miles at once on it yet though.

The B17 on my other bike feels a little odd when I sit on it but thats soon forgotten after a couple of miles.

Steve