Author Topic: Newest Additions to the Family  (Read 5254 times)

Slammin Sammy

Newest Additions to the Family
« on: June 30, 2015, 10:20:27 pm »
Look what the cat dragged in! A pigeon pair?

I LOVE these little guys! I've already taken one down to Sydney on the train, ridden around town, and back in the boot of my wife's car. Incredibly convenient, and great to ride.

What is it with me and British bikes?!  :D

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Newest Additions to the Family
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:27:51 pm »
convenient bikes, for sure! I just put Ergon grips on mine. I was out for 25 miles or so recently and the standard grips just got too uncomfortable.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 10:31:05 pm »
convenient bikes, for sure! I just put Ergon grips on mine. I was out for 25 miles or so recently and the standard grips just got too uncomfortable.

Yes, Jim. That mod is very much on my list. Did you need to cut the Ergons short?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:38:10 pm »
Did you need to cut the Ergons short?

I got the gripshift version. I read in the instructions that the standard grips need 128 mm of clear bar space, while the gripshift version requires 93 mm. The Rohloff/Nexus is just a long grip paired with a short grip.

My measurement on the Brompton was that I have about 100 mm of clear space. So now I do have a little gap between the grip and the shifter. No big deal... though I have yet to get back out on a ride to really know!

We're planning a family cycling trip. We'll take the bikes of my partner and her son on the rack hanging off the back of the car, and then my Brompton in the trunk. So I've had it out a bit to check over and tweak.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:29:47 am by JimK »

jags

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:51:02 pm »
there lovely folding thorn bikes. ::) :P

julk

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:58:31 pm »
Did you need to cut the Ergons short?

I buy full size Ergon grips and cut them down to 110mm both sides for the Brompton and just on the Rohloff changer side for the Thorn.
I like my comfort

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 11:02:28 pm »
<snip>

We're planning a family cycling trip. We'll take the bikes of my partner and her son on the rack hanging off the back of the bike, and then my Brompton in the trunk. So I've had it out a bit to check over and tweak.

We're heading off to Canberra in a few days, and will be doing the same thing (except ours will be in the boot, as we haven't got trunks here in Oz  ;))

I have a spare pair of small GP2s I might cut down for my Brompton. I am also thinking of fitting a small B&M bar end mirror which I have lying around, although the Brompton shop down in Sydney considered it heresy when I mentioned it. A few neck injuries over the years in mines have made a mirror almost mandatory for me, and It don't do the hat of eyeglass mounted ones.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:48:45 am »
Poor Sam put the washing machine on the wrong cycle and shrunk his Thorn...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 06:37:56 am »
Although they are restricted from selling them online, St John's Street Cycles (Thorn's sister company) has a wide range of Bromptons available at their Bridgwater store -- and en entire range of parts and accessories available online from their "Brompton Shop", here:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-shopbrompton/?geoc=us

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 03:05:07 pm »
Brilliant bikes, Sam, and they look very spiffy too.  Old friends in Amsterdam are Bromptonistas, and theirs are their go-to choice among their six bikes.  On my Amsterdam-Vienna tour in 2012, David accompanied me to Köln. There, he had to return to some work, so he folded up his Brompton, slung it over his shoulder, and hopped a train back home. Florrie, his wife, commutes 40 kms to Den Haag for work each day. No problem at all to do a tram + train in each direction, sometimes skipping the tram if the weather is fine.

My LBS here in Ottawa, Tall Tree Cycles, sells a lot to the denizens of the rash of condos which have sprung up along our high street. Low-bulk-high-value items for apartment dwellers.

Looks like you've caught the wave :-)

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 07:45:06 pm »
<snip>
Looks like you've caught the wave :-)

Yes, I'm positively trendy! I haven't been this "in-the-scene" since the sixties!  ;D ;)