Author Topic: Gates Drive  (Read 6772 times)

j1of1

Gates Drive
« on: January 09, 2015, 01:59:18 am »
I love my Nomad, but for extreme conditions I wish it had a Gates drive on it.   I understand some of the reluctance of putting a Gates drive (frame integrity, etc), but after I read stories such as the one posted here:  http://blog.gatescarbondrive.com/?p=7770  I'm starting to wonder if the Thorn folks are "heads up and locked" regarding the Gates drive - refusing to consider the possibility of a Gates drive on a Thorn.   

So what am I seeking?  Could someone give me an explanation, supported with some kind of evidence that a Gates drive is going to impact something (e.g., frame integrity, etc) on a Thorn?  I'm starting to believe - after reading posts such as the one above that I'm missing out on something that should be on my Nomad!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Gates Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 04:58:51 am »
Well, it has to be a bit of a challenge, figuring out a way to cut one of the stays to get the belt through.

My guess is that it is a bit like the Chainglider for 36 tooth chainrings. There is design work and then the minimum number of frames with the new feature... I sure wouldn't want to be the fellow in charge of gambling, predicting, will there be enough demand for the thing to pay off? It's really hard when dealing with a low volume product!

If the belt drives keep growing in popularity and prove their value in hard use, I bet they'll show up on the Thorns!

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 05:23:47 am »
Frame integrity is quite a big thing, especially on an altered frame rather than one designed from scratch to be split. There is also the limited life of the Gates belt, which only recently was said to be as low as 5000m (or was that 5000km?); the Dutch tourers you quote have already done much better than that. The question stands though: if a Gates belt were to give up the ghost in the back of beyond, could they change it themselves or are special tools necessary? (I don't know but it is a question worth answering.)

But it is your bike. You could ask Thorn if they will alter the frame and fit a Gates drive for you. If they won't, you can get someone else to do it. Perhaps the chap who brazed all the steel Thorn frames until a few years ago will do the job for you. Maybe Bob Jackson can help you; they're very easy to deal with. In either case, the job will be done competently. It's likely to be expensive, because you'll need a repaint.

If you do it, don't forget to report here. We'd be keen to know how it goes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:27:26 am by Andre Jute »

in4

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 09:14:43 am »
Interesting. What you might like to do is research  Santos who provided Sarah Outen with her bike to whizz around the world on, Her's has a gates. Similarly, Woodrupp ( sp?) do a Chimera belt drive; think they are in Leeds UK.

My Nomad will not be seeing the hacksaw any time soon!

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 01:01:18 pm »
I really do not see what the problem with a chain is.  I like the ability to switch chainrings and add or subtract a few links to change my gear range on my Rohloff.  I readily admit that I have had some pretty filthy chains at the end of some bike tours, but if I was going to let that bother me I would use a dry lube or a wax lube instead of an oil with dust magnet characteristics.  Thinking back, I have usually lubed my derailleur bikes more frequently than my Rohloff bike, thus the bikes with the dirtiest chains were ones that can't use a belt.

Regarding frame integrity, Raleigh DL-1 frames and their locally made copies have held up quite well over the decades in economically disadvantaged parts of the world where they served as overloaded utility bikes.  In such locations a bicycle was often used as a substitute for a truck.  Their bolt on seatstays never were a problem that I am aware of. 

If there is a good accurate compendium of chain versus belt pros and cons that is not full of marketing bias, I would like to see it.  The only real disadvantages I see of a chain is (1) an occasional few minutes needed for lubrication, (2) accumulated grime that results from that and (3) an occasional need to adjust for chain stretch.  Quite frankly I am happy to have five bikes that I regularly ride that use the same 8 speed chains and the same quick links.  And I would much rather carry a few extra chain links in my bag of spares than an entire new belt.

And no I am not interested in this turning into a discussion of the Hebe chainguard.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 01:26:38 pm »

And no I am not interested in this turning into a discussion of the Hebe chainguard.

Sounds definite, girls and boys! (Any takers?)  :D ;D :D ;D

energyman

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 02:36:04 pm »
I have a bike with a belt, originally due to having to store the bike in the house but another reason is that it's different.  The Woodrup Chimera is a steel bike with a Rohloff & Gates Belt.  To have Rohloff & Gates warranties they had to send a bike off to Germany to be checked for approval.  My RST is a fine bike too.  I have seen bikes locally with shaft drives too. To be honest it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.
Kevin Sayles who built the Woodrup saw no problems with splitting the rear frame to fit the belt - all proven technologies.
Pedalling a chain bike and a belt bike is just the same.  Apparently changing the belt is very easy, just an allen key to undo the widget and put the new belt on.  No worry about greasy hands !
I'm hoping it will see me out  :D

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 03:36:37 pm »
Regardless of the companies standpoint, my own reservation is simply the tools required, see http://www.bibikes.nl/tools.php the 2nd tool down is the one to change the rear sprocket, we have had to send 3 to Germany already as we arn't prepared to invest in the expensive tool.  Intrestingly on both ocassions the customer asked for the hub to be returned with the driver for a standard sprocket... The only bike i've ridden with one was a VNT I must say I noticed the difference the power take up didn't seem as imediate as with a chain. 

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 10:04:28 pm »
After I made my comments above, I recalled one more bit of trivia. 

Back in the days of V belts (before the newer serpentine belts), I lost a fan belt on my 1965 Ford truck on the way to work.  Fortunately it was below zero F (or colder than about minus 18 degrees C) and my engine did not overheat until I got off the highway near work.  At highway speed the fan turned from the air flow through the radiator and that kept the water pump turning enough so that adequate coolant flowed through the engine. 

I needed a new fan belt to get home.  I had some quarter inch sisal line (rope to you non-sailors) in my truck, I managed to put a long splice into it and drove home with that sisal line instead of a fan belt.  The alternator did not spin well at idle but otherwise the truck worked fine until I could buy another V belt later that night.

I however doubt that a long splice on a bit of line would get you home on your bicycle.

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 04:07:36 am »
...my own reservation is simply the tools required, see http://www.bibikes.nl/tools.php the 2nd tool down is the one to change the rear sprocket, we have had to send 3 to Germany already as we arn't prepared to invest in the expensive tool.

This is what I feared, a requirement for a special tool that almost no one is likely to have, that is too heavy and awkward to be carried on tour. That may not matter though to the OP if the rough places he wants to ride are within striking distance of home, and if his belt will last without removal for a high mileage. Thanks for the facts and the link, Dave.

Relayer

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 07:59:46 am »
Regardless of the companies standpoint, my own reservation is simply the tools required, see http://www.bibikes.nl/tools.php the 2nd tool down is the one to change the rear sprocket, we have had to send 3 to Germany already as we arn't prepared to invest in the expensive tool.  Intrestingly on both ocassions the customer asked for the hub to be returned with the driver for a standard sprocket... The only bike i've ridden with one was a VNT I must say I noticed the difference the power take up didn't seem as imediate as with a chain.  

This is interesting, but also a bit puzzling ...

I wonder why anybody would need to change the rear [belt drive] sprocket unless they want to change their gear ratios?  I am assuming that because of the width of the teeth on the belt drive sprocket and the much lower friction of the belt, that such a sprocket would last many decades?

Jim    ???

P.S. Andre, I also can't imagine why you would need to remove the sprocket if the belt failed.

P.P.S. Dave, that tool is priced at 35.50 Euro on that website!

http://www.bibikes.nl/winkel.php?view=productListPage&category=13  

Are you telling us you send customers' hubs to Germany and charge them for freight because you "arn't prepared to invest in the expensive tool"  i.e. 35.50 Euro ... frankly, that beggars belief.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:39:53 am by Relayer »

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 12:50:26 am »
P.S. Andre, I also can't imagine why you would need to remove the sprocket if the belt failed.

Depends how the continuous, tight belt is held on the sprocket. If by an edge retainer, that has to be removed at the sprocket or pedal end, possibly at both. If by matching V in belt and pulleys, one or both of the pulleys must be removed. Ask at your garage about replacing the timing belt on your car; the Gates belt for bikes is just a niche market application of the automobile cambelt.

Relayer

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 08:38:56 am »
This link is a fairly good overview of the Gates belt drive experience which gives a view on many of the questions people have about belt drives, and the development [to date] of the Gates system.  Surprisingly, the recommendation here is a chain drive for dry / sandy roads because of noise issues with the belt drive.

http://cyclingabout.com/carbon-belt-drive-everything-you-ever-need-to-know/

It seems that if you had a puncture the belt must be put on before it is re-tensioned, for a Thorn bike I suppose this means undoing the EBB before fitting, and then re-tensioning the belt.

I am not a belt drive evangelist, but I am very interested in new developments in cycling, that is after all why I have owned a bike with a Rohloff for the last 5 years.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:09:50 am by Relayer »

Relayer

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 10:57:10 am »
Oh, but I should have added, you could probably also run a Hebie Chainglider over a belt drive!

Sorry Mike   ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 11:32:01 am »
Oh, but I should have added, you could probably also run a Hebie Chainglider over a belt drive!

Heh-heh!

Thanks for the link to a comprehensive FAQ. It looks like the Centertrack Gates Drive would do well on tarmac for a good long time.