Author Topic: Average daily milage when touring.  (Read 5382 times)

AndyE

Average daily milage when touring.
« on: October 18, 2014, 03:12:18 pm »
I am in the process in planning a tour for next summer, and as I have never camped from a bike, what is a usual daily mileage when fully loaded ?

Andy.
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Rockymountain

Re: Average daily milage when touring.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 04:35:07 pm »
Daily mileage depends on the type of bike you've got and the road/trail conditions/wind speed and direction and how many hills etc etc. Having said that touring on my Nomad, I average about 30-40 miles a day. On my Surly LHT I can increase that to about 50-60 miles.

When touring, I prefer not to be too rigid in my mileage targets - I tend to plan from day to day (obviously this is much easier if you are camping).

BW

Fraser

julk

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 04:40:22 pm »
Andy,
30 - 60 miles for me in the UK.
Depends on terrain, wind direction and strength, number of stops etc.

My fully loaded is about 22Kgs of drink, food, loaded panniers, frame bag and under handlebars bedroll - i.e everything and self sufficient for a day.
Others will have different ideas of fully loaded, but I like my comfort and a weatherproof tent with enough space for n+1.
Julian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 06:21:24 pm »
Andy,

I'm in full agreement with the posters above -- "it all depends".

When riding solo in remote regions where I can make time, I'll often do 125+ miles/200km daily while fully loaded, more like 70mi/113km in tougher conditions. I've also spent all day and felt pretty proud of myself to make 16mi/26km on very steep goat tracks. One day this last summer, churning through 8cm of sifting sand atop some of Hungary's dikes, 12 solid hours of riding netted me a whopping 30mi/48km. It really would have been faster and less strenuous to have walked/pushed. On AndyBG's fully loaded RavenTour in Europe, I averaged about 100-120km/day when riding, with some 200+km days thrown in as well. I sometimes spent 4 days to a week visiting friends and rode very little on those days. I also didn't mind taking the train on several occasions to make up for time lost. Once was after I was robbed in Prague and lost 10 days waiting for replacement cards. Another occasion was a short hop across rural Hungary to Budapest proper when I hit my 8th slow day of 30kph headwinds and constant upslope going east-to-west and wanted a break and to make up time. Trains are marvelous time machines, and I could not have completed my goals in the time I had available without them.

Circumstances do and probably should change mid-tour, even in the face of careful pre-planning. So much depends on the whim of the moment, the goal of your tour, and how you happen to see the bike fitting into your tour at the time. After all, a major reason for touring is to see things and have fun. Often, this can mean using the bike for transiting the spaces between where you want to spend time exploring. That can lower the overall average.

This variability is why it can be terribly hard to set arrival times for meeting others, especially when unknown roads and terrain are ahead. "I'll be there day after tomorrow" can sometimes mean "Oh, sometime next week" in reality. To make my arrival times concrete, I made *sure* I would arrive early, then laid-over nearby to make up any difference so I'd be where I said, on time, to prevent inconveniencing my hosts. Calling ahead or emailing with progress reports helps, too.

Sometimes, you'll run across criticism from other cyclists or even sponsors (if such is the case) if you don't cycle every kilometer of your tour, but instead take a train, bus, or throw the bike in the trunk of a taxi or bed of a truck for some sections. I've gone both ways and read a number of accounts. I think each is a legitimate way to go, with its own advantages and disadvantages. In post-tour accounts, you can avoid criticism by declaring any mixed transportation modalities up-front, as you might declare study limitations in a research paper. The rub comes when people claim to have "ridden my bicycle around the world" (for example) and there is a disconnect in the reader's mind between "going only by bike" and employing other means for some sections.

Remember, your tour is *your* tour, and the decisions you make will be right for you at the time, not subject to second-guessing by third parties looking on from afar. We're all different, and so is every tour. A lot of times, things don't go as planned. That's what makes for an Adventure!

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 06:28:58 pm »
Those distances fit my experience in Europe, Andy.  When I'm travelling by myself, I tend to work by time rather than distance:  I like to break camp & get on the road early-ish (7-7:30 AM, depending on breakfast arrangements) and then to stop mid-afternoon, usually by 4 PM at the latest.  Distance then depends on the the different variables mentioned.  My early-ish stopping time also reflects my preference for camping--I like to set up camp in a deliberate way, after a cup of tea, etc., and don't much like pitching camp in the dark, or in a rush to beat the rain, whatever.  On the other hand, I know people who like to ride late into summer evenings; and others who prefer to take a break in the heat of early afternoon, etc.

It's good to allow for & expect exceptions. On occasion, for example, a tailwind has let me cover about 150 kms in a day. Sometimes, if I find a really nice campsite, I'll stop at 2 PM, etc.

I find that in North America, I cover longer distances in a "typical" day than in Europe -- more time spent on public roads, as cycling paths are few and far between; less time spent consulting maps, as the road network in Canada, for example, is much less dense than in Europe or UK; not nearly so many bistros and backereien to offer me kaffee und kuchen; on the other hand, and Ontario summer day usually offers a lot more opportunities for a swim.

On the whole, I've found it best to "plan" for less rather than more mileage each day.

Good luck!

DAntrim

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 07:14:44 pm »
The only part of the tour I really plan is the start date and place, and how to get there train / ferry etc, and then the end date. Make a list of places I would like to visit whilst away and everything else depends on day I'm having, if I get to see it all fine - if not more reason to go again  ;D

I planned 5 days go round the Normandy landings and although the distance was only about 130 miles I could have filled another 2/3 days easily, on the other hand I followed the 'Way of the Roses' coast to coast around 170 miles with lot's more hills and did it in 2 days so was home early.

So I wouldn't worry about the millage, just go enjoy yourself.

AndyE

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 09:04:07 pm »
Thanks all, you have confirmed what I suspected, " it all depends" . The tour I have in mind is from the train station in Dumbarton and on to the A82 / A85 to Fort William, Malliag and Isle of Sky and returning via Kyle of Lochalsh, Fort Bill and Oban. An area I know well from my Sea Kayaking, it will make a change, not having to battle wind and tide for a change and make stops and not lose any ground. 14 days or so with an average of 35 miles a day. Well that's one plan! assuming the training and shake out tour goes smoothly.

Andy
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 09:06:00 pm »
Sounds wonderful, Andy! Looking forward to your report and photos After.

Best.

Dan.

Rockymountain

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 09:02:08 am »
That sounds a great tour, Andy - and 35 miles a day will allow you to enjoy the scenery and the wonderful sights.  Have a great one :)

Fraser

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 10:30:46 am »
My last tour was the most hilly trip I have taken.  I estimated how long it would take by average elevation gained per day instead of by average horizontal distance each day. When I got home my brake pads were shot representing a lot of wasted wattage on the downhills.

Another factor is the availability of good places to stop at the end of the day.  On my last tour, we planned our daily travel based on the locations of good low cost places to camp. 

We had outstanding weather, if the weather would have been worse we probably would have traveled shorter distances each day.  That is something that is hard to plan ahead of time.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 12:05:07 pm »
From someone who does incredibly small daily mileages. 50km is a big day for me :). My record day was not even making it to the end of a small street because someone else invited me in and I ended up staying the whole day. I think that was less than a km :)
I think the start point should be
How many days have you got? What's your intended total mileage? How many miles a day does that equal.
Load the bike up and cycle that over a weekend and see how you feel.

My first tour was froj Liverpool to Istanbul and averaged out around 50 miles a day for 70 days. I did it but I was too exhausted at the end of each day to really enjoy myself.
You will get fitter as you go along but if you are doing more than the body can recover from and cycling every day it will add up over time.

I am definitely in the slow camp now.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

phopwood

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 03:05:54 pm »
I have been reading this with interest, I tend to like to plan ahead.  A number of you have said that you just cycle the day as you see fit and then stop and camp.  Does this mean that you do not plan your camp sites in advance or plan them and maybe stop else where depending on the day.

I often fantasize about short tours, but I am not sure that I will ever take the plunge, we as a family often camp near to home (20 - 30 miles away) and I will cycle there and back, but the kit has gone in the landrover.  That said I commute in London and stay in hotels for 2 nights most weeks, and I take all my kit with me, so I carry the kit but have the luxury of a Hilton and the office to keep me safe.

All the best.

Peter

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 03:18:11 pm »
Hi Peter, I'm definitely in the no plan camp. No right or wrong way to go cycle touring, I think that's what makes it so much fun.
On my first tour I had a fixed route because I was following the route of Thomas Stevens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Stevens_(cyclist) (Liverpool - Istanbul)
And I knew how many miles a day I needed to do to make my destination on time but I hadn't planned where I was going to stay or stop.

Even that type of journey turned out to be too restrictive for me so when I went on my last tour I made no plans at all except  to just say yes to every single opportunity that came my way.
Unfortunately visas tend to determine things to a certain extent. I already had my Iranian,Pakistani and Indian visas arranged and paid for but even that went out the window :)

Whatever way you travel, enjoy it :)

I did however contact a www.warmshowers.org host in Kuala Lumpur and arranged to stay with him. I flew from Bali to KL and he came and met me at the airport. That was a very nice feeling after being so independent for 20 plus months. AirAsia even managed to get my bike to the airport on the same day as me! It was nice to not have to think about what my plans where for the next few days :)

Check out the "You woke up where?" thread for where random places can land you http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=10023.0
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

DAntrim

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 05:26:45 pm »
I have been reading this with interest, I tend to like to plan ahead.  A number of you have said that you just cycle the day as you see fit and then stop and camp.  Does this mean that you do not plan your camp sites in advance or plan them and maybe stop else where depending on the day.

I no longer plan a camp site, as you can usually find somewhere field, woods, hillside, beer garden, or with the interwebs mobility google, and found that I've never been turned away from a camp site as they've always fitted me in - probably taking pity on the sodden lump of clothes on the bike

Carlos

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 05:37:46 pm »
Peter,

I always take my little one-person tent so I have the option to wild/stealth camp where nothing else is available. That way, I can always count on a room at the Hilton Verde! I prefer it and my own carried bed as much as any luxury hotel, though the latter can be lifesaving if one is near-hypothermic and a hot shower is always nice.

Even with lodging, it is nice to have the tent just in case the weather turns or something else comes up to cause a delay or missed connection. Like Richie, I also accepted the very kind and generous lodging invitations of those I met along the way...and made lifelong friends as a result.

Best,

Dan.