Author Topic: Average daily milage when touring.  (Read 5383 times)

farmer palmer

Re: Average daily milage when touring.
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 09:24:09 pm »
I'm a muppet...............When I was younger I rode a lot of Audaxes and covered mega, mega miles in a day and now when I tour(Iceland the last three times) I aim for around eighty miles a day but this is far too much if there's a strong headwind and some days I'm happy with forty miles..............My Sherpa has 2" tyres and its very heavy with all the camping gear but it rolls along happily unless there's a strong headwind in which case 12 miles in two hours is about all I can manage sometimes.

Now I take it a bit easier and enjoy the scenery/company and change my plans often depending on the weather rather than bashing on clicking up the daily miles regardless!

FP.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 10:20:47 pm »
The key factor in bike touring has got to be flexibility. After a few of these tours, you'll have a better idea of what works. Just don't get too stressed if your plans have to change.

I'm in the slow camp, because I like to spend time in camp and not leave too early. Of course, it all depends on weather and season.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 07:05:47 am »
I was definitely on a learning curve last July.
I managed the four corners of Scotland.
I knew I had 30 days to do it but no idea of what I was capable of, milage wise per day.
Within the first week I did a 92 mile day.
I was so excited.
I calmed down after that and stuck to 30 or 40 milers.
No roses to smell but please try of stunning scenery.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

honesty

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 07:16:21 am »
I've only done a few short tours but I averaged around 55 miles a day, all in Cornwall, Devon, and west Somerset - so quite hilly. I found Tha best for me to stop at places along the way to look around and enjoy myself.

I planned my route before hand to the minutest detail. I preferred doing thus as I could load the route into my gps and then basically ignore map reading etc as I know where I will be going. Also gave me an end goal to aim at.