Brexit
« on: June 25, 2016, 12:51:11 am »
Yawn, or will it affect you?

Mike

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Brexit
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 01:04:57 am »
well, a fine time to buy a Thorn bike, I should think, for anybody whose assets and income are not in GBP!

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 01:53:01 am »
This post is only for people not paying for their bikes in sterling pounds. As Jim says above, but the pound has already started rising again. Put in the order today to fix the price. By tomorrow some of those currency speculators will discover that by 2019 the Commonwealth (mother country Britain) will be economically more important than the EU, and the price of sterling could rise accordingly, though perhaps not quite as quickly as it fell because the fall is an emotional response from ignorance while the rise will be more rationally inspired by growing knowledge.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 05:22:01 am »
I placed a small order with SJS Cycles today, as the rate at the time was about USD $1.35 compared to USD $1.65 a short while ago.

I use XE Currency Converter both as a Web app and Android app. It kept crashing last night, trying to keep up with the rapidly changing exchange rate and the massive increase in server traffic as everyone checked rates.

The GBP rose about 2 US cents against the dollar as the day wore on, one penny just this evening, so there is some recovery already.

I paid with PayPal, who nicked me about 3 US cents over the exchange rate, but this was better than my credit cards, some of whom allow they will apply the interest rate most favorable to them within the last 24 hours. That would have been based on yesterday's pre-Brexit rates, eating up any savings for me, so PayPal was better.

I wish I could place an order for a second Thorn, but it just isn't financially possible for me now. For those who can, act fast. This window of opportunity for foreign buyers of UK goods priced in pounds will likely close to some degree very soon.

Best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 09:51:24 am »
Apart from being shocked and appalled at the result for reasons I'm not going to get into here, there must be a window for overseas folk to make hay at SJS. As well as the fall against the dollar, the pound is also down against the euro. Might be worth buying before premium German parts get expensive!

in4

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 10:06:58 am »
Sensing that this is a can of worms and akin to the Apple/PC RC/CofE argument now is probably the time for cool heads and calm. Some of the excitable coverage by various media outlets was decidedly unhelpful and it doesn't take much to spook the horses! By all means take advantage of the currency fluctuations whilst they last, but don't put your shirt on it! IMHO of course.

Bill C

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 03:49:33 pm »
Apart from being shocked and appalled at the result

that's democracy, I'm neither shocked nor appalled, tbh i feel both my son's are facing a better future than they would have if we had remained
but i must say i'm pleased it  wasn't  a topic on here,as its to divisive

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 04:16:27 pm »
Sensing that this is a can of worms and akin to the Apple/PC RC/CofE argument...
...and...
i'm pleased it  wasn't  a topic on here,as its to divisive...

Agreed, and watching closely for that reason.

All the best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 12:01:56 pm »
After everything going on in the country this week, I'm looking at moving. I'm not sure what's so great about living in Switzerland, but I'm told their flag is a big plus...
 ;)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

geocycle

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 02:13:39 pm »
After everything going on in the country this week, I'm looking at moving. I'm not sure what's so great about living in Switzerland, but I'm told their flag is a big plus...
 ;)

Despite the big plus, steak and chips is £50!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:24:42 am by geocycle »

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 11:31:18 pm »
For some, living in Switzerland or Monaco is a crash course in deciding taxes aren't so bad after all. If you're attached to the British weather but not the incompetence of its governments (all flavours), you could try the Isle of Man or the Channel Isles, which all have 20% flat tax rates and safe if limited cycling.

leftpoole

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 09:10:21 am »
For some, living in Switzerland or Monaco is a crash course in deciding taxes aren't so bad after all. If you're attached to the British weather but not the incompetence of its governments (all flavours), you could try the Isle of Man or the Channel Isles, which all have 20% flat tax rates and safe if limited cycling.

I looked into moving to Jersey CI and it is not possible unless one has a very good job there or loads of money.
I have neither as a British pensioner.
John

Tiberius

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 11:35:38 am »
 ;)

Not sure if that hasn't flown over a few heads..... :P

AndyE

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 03:22:03 pm »
In all honesty I think we have just been involved in the biggest con trick of all time. A two horse race where any outcome was a win win for our Government!  A con so sophisticated, and still in play by the way, that it would make The Sting look like it was run by rank amateurs.  Stick around, get beer and popcorn, because it will get ugly.

Andy
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Bill C

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 09:43:28 pm »
In all honesty I think we have just been involved in the biggest con trick of all time. A two horse race where any outcome was a win win for our Government!  A con so sophisticated, and still in play by the way, that it would make The Sting look like it was run by rank amateurs.  Stick around, get beer and popcorn, because it will get ugly.

Andy

Andy which school of conspiracy are you thinking, NWO, Gubbernment stitch up, 4th Reich?

to me it doesn't bode well when things like this are being under reported https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=german+mosque+weapons&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=uYJ1V7HnIM2GgAb8_prwDA

gave up with all the usual news sources have been using this site as it seems to cover all opinions from silly to scary http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/