Author Topic: Danneaux's Tour de Yerrup  (Read 29102 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Danneaux's Tour de Yerrup
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 06:12:08 pm »
Lidl stock Ritter sport chocolate bars in the UK. This is bad.
Or...good! If nothing else, I could live on those.  ;D

Thanks so much, Honesty, for the suggestion of this sort of travel-debit card. Brilliant! I'm investigating now. The following seem to be cards of this type:
http://www.cashpassport.com/1/global-landing-page/
https://www.commbank.com.au/personal/travel/travel-money-card.html
http://www.travelex.com/US/Products/Cash-Passport/
Ruminations on same with some good general cautions for currency and prepaid/debit cards: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jun/15/travel-money-prepaid-currency-cards-which-best

Customized Google search on the topic here: http://tinyurl.com/nn7seef
With preview to verify authenticity of my TinyURL link: http://preview.tinyurl.com/nn7seef

I just applied for and received my Turkish e-visa, all in the space of perhaps ten minutes. "Sticker visas" are required at port of entry for Americans entering Turkey as tourists for up to 90 days ( http://turkey.usembassy.gov/visa_requirements.html ). I figured things would go more smoothly with one in hand rather than trying to get it at the airport as others seem to have done. Cost was only USD$20 and I bring the PDF printout with me. The application website was a model of efficiency and easy use; I wish the Turks had designed America's new insurance-application websites!

Best,

Dan.

honesty

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 06:51:49 pm »
Yep, we had a cash passport, and there are a few hidden traps (as with most things). The one we had charged for withdrawing cash, but card payments were free. So we just loaded up the card with the amount we had budgeted for the holiday and paid for pretty much everything on the card. As most places nowadays takes card this wasn't a problem.

John Saxby

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 11:31:47 pm »
the food suggestions
'Twas Berthold Brecht who said, if memory serves, that before bringing the revolution to its final consummation, one must first eat breakfast.

Having treated myself to several grosser frühstücken while cycling, I can appreciate his advice.

On Ritter Sport:  I had known (vaguely) about these wonderful creations, but only started to pay close attention in the last couple of years. Our daughter, Meg, now living in Berlin for three-plus years, said she treats herself to a Ritter Sport now & again when she needs a wee boost of self-administered TLC. I trust her advice in this (as in most matters), so on a visit a while back, we sampled several (not all at once...)  When I learned on my Rhine/Danube trek in 2012 that I couldn't easily find the Pro-Bar energy bars I normally eat in Canada when cycling, skiing, etc., I was only too happy to resort to Ritter Sport. They're now part of my standard touring equipment.

jags

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 12:06:33 am »
i never spotted these in our aldi.maybe it's as well i'm fat enough.

jags.

John Saxby

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 01:20:55 pm »
If you find them, jags, take one for your turnaround pause on your next ride on your Audax -- long enuf ride = no net gain, and they really are good!

honesty

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 02:10:30 pm »
They're the 150g bars in Lidl as well, which is just to big to be considered a snack. Even so I reckon with a thermos flash of tea you could count it as lunch ;)

julk

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 02:51:28 pm »
They have even been seen reduced in our local Lidls before and after Christmas ;)

Luckily my weight is recovering now...

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 03:21:16 pm »

Thanks so much, Honesty, for the suggestion of this sort of travel-debit card. Brilliant! I'm investigating now.

Hi Dan,

What a trip! You've managed to make us all jealous, and you haven't even left yet!

On the matter of the travel cards, just a small word of warning. For our September trip, I purchased a Commonwealth Bank card (Australia) months before and stored what I expected to be sufficient £ and € for the trip (mostly as a hedge for the expected drop in the A$ exchange rate).

Almost my very first opportunity to use it however, was in a flash hotel I'd booked for our arrival in London, as a treat for my wife. I used my travel card to check in, and they asked could they take a swipe for security (in case I did a runner, I guess)? This is usually a charge that gets reversed off your credit card before it gets processed, and you don't see it. But because I was using the debit card, the charge (in the ridiculous amount of £600!) actually came off the card, and took two weeks to restore! I was furious because I ran out of £ and had to resort to using a credit card during that period anyway!

I realise this will probably not apply to your plans, but a word to the wise - beware the warmshowers host who asks could he "just take a swipe of your card for security"!  ;D

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 04:04:21 pm »
Re the Turkish visa; I think it applies to everyone.
Even us Brits.
And best done in advance; as Dan had done.
Out if interest, is the entry period for a set time?
I mean, how long can you wait before you use it, rather than how long you can stay in Turkey?
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 04:32:39 pm »
Hi Sammy!

Yes, I've been caught-out a few times by those huge "hold" charges on lodging. They sure were a surprise the first time! Not a big deal with credit cards (although it can take a surprisingly long time to get them reversed if the proprietor actually runs them as a matter of course -- yikes! *That* was the surprise to me...registered, and the whole lot was actually charged and not just as a "hold-in-case"), but they can lockup a debit card for awhile. A good thing to keep in mind for any card. By the way, I am in full sympathy for the reasons behind this. As I have related elsewhere on this Forum, on an early tour I left the hotel briefly to buy groceries and came back to find my partner had decided to clean his bike. In the room. Using *all* the hotel linen including the white towels, the bedspread, and some of the curtains. Oh, yeah I made sure he paid. Never in my life have I been so embarrassed to be associated with someone.

Matt, yes...What you do is select your arrival date and then the visa is good for 90 days from that. I set my start date for 20May, since that's when I plan to enter Turkey. I'll leave 25May, but that doesn't matter, since it is within the 90-day limit. By the way, this e-visa is for multiple entry during that 90-day window so you can come and go as you wish within that timeframe.

I am *most* impressed by the efficiency of the Turkish website, and they actually read and respond to feedback. I complimented them yesterday on how nicely the whole process worked and received a personalized email this morning thanking me and wishing me a pleasant visit. As jags would say, "Class".

Here's their landing page, Matt: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/ You can see the process required by clicking on the 1, 2, 3 buttons. To actually initiate an application, you just click on the word "Application" and you'll be done in 10 minutes, tops. You'll need your passport handy to enter the requested data and your credit card as well (it is a secure site). After this, there's a 2-hour window to reply to their confirmation email else you have to start again; it is for security purposes. I think the USD$20 cost was very reasonable and a great way to avoid delays getting this done at port of entry.

Checking every other country on my route, it appears my passport alone will do, no visa required except for Turkey.

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 03:45:27 am »
Hi All!

Has anyone heard any long-term forecasts predicting the European summer this year?

When I did my 2008 tour of The Netherlands, Belgium, and Bretagne, it was the coldest summer in 10 years. My friends didn't have their first barbecue until my arrival in August. It was cold and rained. A lot.

I'm hoping for good weather, not too hot, not too cold, not too wet...juuuuuust right. Looks more like it'll be hot, based on UK prognostications: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/weather-summer-2014-to-be-hottest-on-record-9122575.html

Best,

Dan. (...who is hoping for Goldilocks weather)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:23:50 am by Danneaux »

Andybg

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 05:19:55 am »
Oh Dan

We have a great history in the UK of being terrible at predicting weather so I would not put too much weight on this.

Having said that it has certainly been a very strange winter across many parts of Europe so no telling what it is going to be like.

Andy

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 05:29:47 am »
Has anyone heard any long-term forecasts predicting the European summer this year?
I can predict that the first part of August in Ireland will be terrible.

I know this because I'll be there, and I do not have good luck with weather. When I was in Oregon last Spring, it was the 3rd wettest May on record. When I did the Cabot Trail in 2010, the temps went from 75º the week before I arrived to 100º while I was there, and then back to 75º after I left.

Although I won't be on my bike in Ireland, so the curse may not apply.

-George

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 07:16:12 am »
Andy!

I suspect you're right. My 96 year-old father's favorite phrase is "Only fools and new-comers predict the weather in Oregon" and I have the feeling this might apply universally.

George! As a lifelong Oregon resident, I'd like to offer my apologies for the terrible weather you encountered. It *should* have been better then, but, well...these things happen. A bit like San Francisco, some of our coldest winters have been summers on the Oregon Coast.  :(

All the best,

Dan. (...who remembers the phrase, "We'll have weather, whether or not!")

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 10:27:14 am »

Dan. (...who is hoping for Goldilocks weather)

You're going bare on your bike?

Yikes
 :o
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink