Author Topic: Dreaming of Touring, Few Questions! All Opinions Greatly Appreciated!  (Read 13295 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Dreaming of Touring, Few Questions! All Opinions Greatly Appreciated!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 07:42:18 pm »
funny, the description says 21 speed which ought to be 3x7. But 7 sprocket cluster in the back is pretty old. Anto says it's a 9 sprocket cluster - he's probably right! So that would make 27 speeds altogether, if you count blindly. E.g. the cross over combos are not going to work well plus there could be some duplication. That granny chainring looks pretty small - that bike looks well set-up for real touring!

The seller has zero feedback! Probably perfectly honest but still, that's a lot of money! If you could pay cash when you collect it, that'd be good!

Sure, size is important. The real key is the virtual top tube. If you have really long arms/torso or really short, that could call for a different frame size. Mostly if you are in the zone you can just swap in a longer/shorter stem. The big fat Thorn super brochure has recommended person sizes vs bike sizes, that that is surely worth checking.

I think the XL designation means a longish virtual top tube, which works with flat bars or even swept back a bit. The shorter virtual top tube is for drop bars. If you want drop bars, this would not be the ideal frame. Unless you have amazing long arms/torso.

naiveclone

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 08:29:28 pm »
Thanks JimK. Any idea what setup this bike would be? If I was to go bespoke, I'd definately go for relaxed or fairly relaxed, definately avoiding the 'sporty' riding position. Any thoughts?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 09:34:09 pm »
In that main photo, you can see that the saddle and the handlebars are both at about the height of that counter. Actually the saddle looks a little low to me overall - maybe the owner has shortish legs. Anyway the handlebars are pretty high. You can see too that there are lots of spacers on the steerer. Not impossible that the steerer is uncut. Anyway it has plenty of height. So I would say the bike should be easy to configure for a relatively relaxed / upright posture.

jags

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 09:54:18 pm »
i'de say it's 9 speed x3 up front gives you 27 gears to play around with .(loads)
if i were buying it i would change rear cassette and chain new bearings on bottom bracket and new cables  inner and outer no big job (seems like it is  but not really)
and give it a good mother and father of a cleaning .

size wise ask Dave here on the forum he's the thorn man knows his stuff.

leftpoole

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 09:16:38 am »
I was going to reply and write a nice piece, but 'jags' has already done it!
The only thing that I would add really:- Thorn racks are better than Tubus and a decent tent by Force Ten (Vango owned) for 2 is perfectly suitable-Force Ten Nitro lite.
John

jags

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 10:02:07 am »
i'm keeping that post John and posting it on my wall for all time. ;D ;D

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 10:55:22 am »
Interesting thread you have started here naiveclone! I think it resonates with many starting out on their first tour.

Someone once said that travel can be dangerous but routine is fatal!

I was about your age 30 years ago and on a whim bought a 6 month round the world ticket leaving in two weeks. I told my parents the week before and headed off on my own. There was no chance to feel much fear as I was committed to leaving. I had just finished a job and I suppose was feeling like you. In the end I had a ball, met a lovely girl, travelled extensively overland through South East asia and China to Pakistan and eventually emigrated with her to Australia. Wasn't a cycle trip though!

That small decision led to a 12 year wonderful adventure of travel and fun. So go for it! I don't see your situation as sad but extremely exciting and an opportunity not to be lost.

There are some great web sites on cycle touring ... here are some articles from Alastair Humphreys about fear ...

http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/?s=fear&submit=Search

I recommend too that you read his two books about cycling round the world. They inspired me two years ago to cycle round the 6700km North Sea Cycle Route. True to form I bought a one way ticket from Shetland to Bergen in Norway two weeks hence so I had no choice but to leave. Again a wonderful three months, had a battery stolen , but no real problems.

Tom Allen is also a wonderful resource ...

http://tomsbiketrip.com

His book Janapar is also an inspirational read for someone contemplating a big cycle tour.

I mention Alastair Humphreys and Tom Allen as they seem to match your age and predicament. They have both overcome the fear of setting off and are great writers. Hope you find some more inspiration from them.

As for equipment, that Thorn bike on eBay looks just the job. I got almost all my stuff from eBay including my second hand Raven Tour from Thorn themselves.

So, just do it. Setting off is more important than having the latest newest fanciest gear, though I would not compromise on a good bike. A Thorn will do the job well!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:03:33 am by StuntPilot »

lewis noble

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 11:02:12 am »
Hello!

Good luck with your choice and plans.

Not a lot I can add, except to say that the Sherpa is a brilliant general purpose bike, and if you buy new, the basic spec represents very good value and sound equipment.  The 'extras' are fine, but mainly serve to make the bike better for specific tasks - e.g. lightweight touring, or extra heavy long distance stuff.  My Sherpa, for example has DT Swiss wheels, Tubus rack, XT cranks (so I can get 165 mm crank arms, better for my shortish legs, but the baisc start model is fine. 

And yes, for your purpose and general mixed use, the Thorn rack would be better in my view. 

As for the bike on sale above, on the one hand, the fact that it has already been to South America and back means that it could go again.  But I would guess that all the bearings would need to be overhauled (not difficult, but needs care) and the rims could be worn as well.  Has the owner put a replacement rear wheel on? Hence the confusion over 7 / 9 speed??  The frame size should be identifiable from the frame number.

Good luck

Lewis

jags

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 11:42:28 am »
make that guy an offer on the raven it will sell quick i reckon.if it takes your fancy that is.has rohloff all the guys here love rohloff and it has little miles on it.

i didn't read the discription on the sherpa but be careful there's a lotta miles on that bike the raven would be a better buy if u get it at a good price ,it should fit u no bother.

jags.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 12:12:55 pm »
Yes, the Raven Tour with Rohloff would be better if you can get it for a good price and have the budget. Thats a nice bike too! The Sherpa has done the miles but I am sure can do many more.

I second Thorn racks too. Very solid and can take a lot of weight.

If you are looking for a tent I recently replaced my Vango Spirit 200+ tent with the lighter (same design) Force Ten Nitro Lite 200+ as I found it on eBay for a good price.

I used the Spirit 200+ round the North Sea Route as well as extensive camping in France and Spain. Its a great cycle touring tent with a large porch if the weather is bad. Very liveable and a home from home. Stood up to a couple of wild storms in North West Germany where other tents were launched into the air!

Click on StuntPilot to send me a PM if interested. I would love to see the Spirit 200+ put to good use! I was going to put it up on the forum or eBay soon. Some details, reviews and photos of the Spirit 200+ here ...

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Vango-Spirit-200+/873

naiveclone

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 12:44:17 pm »
Another great find from you guys! Thanks again haha. The Sherpa guy has stopped replying to me, and seems a little shady honestly, I'm not sure he's legit anymore. The Raven looks perfect also, I'm going to contact that guy now.

About the Rohloff, I'm guessing that means less gears - harder to get up hills but less chance of something going wrong?

Also about the tent, I haven't even looked into tents yet but i'll give your link a look, thanks for all the help everyone!

bikerta

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 12:47:08 pm »
I also have a Thorn Sherpa which I purchased almost 2 years ago for a solo John O Groats to Lands End trip. Up until then, I had only done limited leisure cycling on a cheap hybrid bike. After some research I purchased a Dawes Galaxy for the trip which was a mistake as they have long top tubes and I ended up with pain in my shoulders and neck if I went over 25 to 30 miles.

I then came across Thorn and loved the utilitarian look of the Sherpa and as I wanted to take the scenic route from John O Groats, cycling along many forestry tracks etc I thought it would be ideal, so I paid a visit to SJS. They take many measurements and then match you up to a frame size, depending on whether you want drop bars or straight. (the frames for drop bars have short top tubes and straight bars have a longer top tube) In my case, I have very short arms, so I needed a short frame and straight bars which is what I wanted anyway. I have never spent that amount of money on a bike before, but one in my size has never appeared for sale and I don't regret buying new at all. The bike completed the trip with ease, with not one problem apart from tightening the seat bolt. Not one puncture even. I use the bike to commute to work, and still love it.

I would suggest you ring SJS and give them your measurements, they can then advise you what size frame would be good for you.

I was scared stiff when I set off on my JOGLE, but then you soon settle once the trip starts and you just take it one day at a time. I spent 3 weeks, camping most of the way. The thought of being able to just leave to travel wherever you want is a fantastic opportunity which you should definitely make the most of. It's the things you don't do that you regret, not the things you do. Just start simple and expand your horizons as you become more confident.

I agree with Jags on most of his equipment list, especially Ortlieb Panniers. I have also used the Vango Spirit 200+ as my tent of choice along with a Terra nova voyager. I would now like to try the Vango nitro lite 200/200+.  Would definitely recommend a 2 person tent though for a longer tour.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and keep us informed.

lewis noble

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 12:55:03 pm »
The Raven is very similar to a Sherpa, but is Rohloff specific - and no, having fewer gears i.e. 14, does not mean going up hills is harder - with the overlap on derailleur set-ups, the range of useful gears is actually very similar, and assuming the choice of chain ring / sprocket is suitable for loaded touring rather than, say, faster commuting, the range of gears will be absolutely fine for touring.  My guess is that that would be a better choice than the Sherpa you looked at earlier.

naiveclone

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 12:55:52 pm »
Thanks so much for your positive input bikerta! I'm really not sure what to do about the bike. Everyone who has had a bespoke thorn made for them has sung its praises and I can really understand why. I'd love one myself, but the chance to get a second hand one that would fit me at half the price would go a long way to softening the blow to my pockets as I have a lot of other equipment to buy too.

This is all Thorns fault for having so many beautiful bicycles to offer. I had a brief look at the Nomads out of curiosity and wow. That's what I call a bicycle.

*also guys, i'm sorry if I don't reply to your specific post, I never expected a quarter of the replies and help you've given me. I've definately read every one of your replies though, and some of them two or three times hahah.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:02:03 pm by naiveclone »