Author Topic: Feedback on Thorn Raven Enduro  (Read 2871 times)

CWM

Feedback on Thorn Raven Enduro
« on: January 21, 2017, 08:42:41 pm »
Does anyone have any views on these? I'd like a mtb with a rohloff hub and have seen one of these offered  second hand. But wondered if the Sterling turned out to be a better bike that may have addressed some of the Enduro issues. e.g. the slightly narrow tyres. . Looking for something for local tracks and trails,  and the occasional trip to a trail centre. I'm a keen cyclist, but not mad about jumping off cliffs. I've already got an so called adventure bike so I don't really need another one of those, just looking for a mountain bike.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated. Thorn did not seem to do the mtb thing for long, and judging from the very limited second hand thorn mtbs I've seen advertised over the years, they perhaps didn't sell all that many. Which leaves me wondering how good they actually were.

Thank you.

bobs

Re: Feedback on Thorn Raven Enduro
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 08:57:02 pm »
I had a Sterling  and it was a great bike , my only regret was that I sold it. If you see a small frame for sale let me know.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:59:24 pm by bobs »

lewis noble

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 11:45:16 pm »
Brief reply, on mobile in a pub after playing an exhausting concert . . .

I had a Ripio (derrailieur) for 3 years - v good bike. I think broadly similar to Sterling and Catalyst - not sure. Excellent for trails, touring ( with med size panniers on Thorn rack) . I only sold it cos my riding became more road focussed, and it was on heavy side for that. V sturdy and stable bike.

I think Thorn got out of mtb type bikes because it was so hard to compete in that market and people went for cheaper fancier options. If I was looking for a trail type bike now I would look for one again.

Lewis

jags

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 11:36:10 am »
what was the concert lewis.

lewis noble

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 05:50:16 pm »
Hello Anto - I play trombone in a Sheffield orchestra - Star Wars, Danzon by Marquez, full throttle stuff. But all went well.

Lewis

CWM

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 10:57:44 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Glad the concert went well.

Any other thoughts out there?

jags

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 11:35:03 pm »
Wow good stuff lewis my neighbour also plays trombone.

CWM

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 12:48:00 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  I bought an Enduro. Photos here:

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12227.0