Author Topic: Tandem sizing guidance sought  (Read 11604 times)

eager2learn

Tandem sizing guidance sought
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:07:49 pm »
We're pondering buying a second hand Thorn tandem - the budget won't run to a new one unfortunately :( - however we're unsure what size(s) we should be looking at.  The stoker is 5' 7" and 31" leg and the pilot 6' 1" and 33" leg.  We are not road racers, but enjoy quiet touring - so the handlebars need to be higher than the saddles.

The general wisdom seems to be that a tandem should be chosen a size smaller than your solo bike, but we're sure there are exceptions to the rule!  Anyway, all suggestions welcome.

BTW does the Thorn handlebar stem take a standard steerer extender?

anniesboy

Re: Tandem sizing guidance sought
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 08:54:03 am »
My wife and I are similar in stature to your selves, my wife is shorter in leg but long in body.

Our tandem is a large and small.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:28:49 am »
We're pondering buying a second hand Thorn tandem - the budget won't run to a new one unfortunately :( - however we're unsure what size(s) we should be looking at.  The stoker is 5' 7" and 31" leg and the pilot 6' 1" and 33" leg.  We are not road racers, but enjoy quiet touring - so the handlebars need to be higher than the saddles.

The general wisdom seems to be that a tandem should be chosen a size smaller than your solo bike, but we're sure there are exceptions to the rule!  Anyway, all suggestions welcome.

Have you looked at the Thorn Twin Raven pdf brochure?
There is a section in it on sizing.

Mike

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:38:39 pm »
Anniesboy, THAT is a choice bike! The colour is amazing - quite unique?

:) ;) :D

anniesboy

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 04:22:54 pm »
It was a standard Thorn colour at the time June 2007.

Metallic British Racing Green.