Author Topic: Audax sloping top-tube - how much seat post extension is OK?  (Read 1518 times)

tt2cycletours

Audax sloping top-tube - how much seat post extension is OK?
« on: September 15, 2014, 11:03:36 pm »
Audax related question:

With the current model of audax, for taller riders is the extra seat post length ever a problem due to too much stress where the set post enters the frame?

I had a sloping top tube touring frame (I think from Orbit Cycles) and the paint was cracking/flaking around the bolt clamp area.

This is probably a non-issue but my gut reaction is to get a horizontal top tube frame (like BJ E-E) and have less extension.

I will expect to have a good 200 mm of seat post exposed on HTT frame.

Thanks, Tim
It is always better by bike!

jags

Re: Audax sloping top-tube - how much seat post extension is OK?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:49:32 pm »
Hi Tim well to me a bike with that much seatpost showing look terrible almost as if the frame is way to small for the pilot.6ins is perfect to my eye .extra long seatpost sure there bound to be flex in that.

jags.

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 11:50:27 pm »
Not a problem.
My size 600 Mk3 has lots of seatpost exposed, possibly around 250mm, I haven't measured it.
As long as you have a long enough seatpost to stay within the minimum insertion limit then everything should be fine.

triaesthete

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 01:22:37 am »

Worry ye not Tim
the reason many here like Thorn frames  is for their uncompromised specification and build quality. Yes they cost a little more than average but that extra gets you a lot of quality materials, engineering, quality control and detail design.

The Audax has a double butted seat tube (external butting at the top) to put sufficient material at the seat cluster stress points. It also has a lifetime warranty and a 26kg maximum luggage rating!

Happy shopping
Ian

tt2cycletours

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:13:37 pm »
As ever, thanks for the quick replies :)

Actually not that tall, after measuring my Surly CC, I would have 180mm of clear seat post from Audax frame to saddle clamp; assuming I can add 4 cm on to the stated c-c size.

Probably is tenable...  Tim
It is always better by bike!