Author Topic: Disc brakes for Tandems  (Read 25981 times)

John

Re: Disc brakes for Tandems
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 11:33:40 am »
If you can lock the back wheel on dry tarmac with the Vs then a disc brake can't do any better. The Hayes Hdx9 dh 203mm has more bite than Vs and locks the front or rear wheel of our mountain tandem no problem (Tioga factory downhill tyres have little grip on tarmac). The question is will the components the brake is fixed to stand this treatment? Expect to destroy rear wheels and possibly bend the chainstay.

jerryw

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 05:33:43 pm »
Had Hope disc brakes on the Swallow tandem built up for me from an Ibis frame set by Pete Bird. First tour was fine, second saw me hospitalised when the disc brake failed on a downhill section of day ride near Malham Tarn. I understand completely why Robin doesn't want disc brakes on tandems, the loads are not what they are designed for. Their use on tandems was one reason (I have heard) why Pete Bird's Swallow went bust - too many customers with injuries after disc brake failures (I was in touch with two other couples who also found this out the hard way).

Cheers,

Jerry

Teej

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 11:13:26 pm »
We have disc brakes on our mountain tandem.  I have to say I totally disagree with Robin Thorn about this.  His information is way out of date.  Ours are hope M4 front on a 203mm disc ( soon to be replaced with a 6Ti) and a 6Ti rear with a 185mm disc.  Using a marzocchi Z150 lite fork with a reinforced steel steerer and 20 mm axle.

We have ridden this bike for 4 yrs - on road and off, fully loaded touring thru the highlands and down downhill mtb routes .  We have hit nearly 60 mph on downhills  What you mustn't do is drag the brakes ( or if you must drag alternate them)- but you have such reserves of power there is no need.  Instead you use them like a motorcycle or car - braking to slow when needed otherwise tuck in and go!  We have cooked them twice - both times dragging one brake slowly down a long descent.  Both time the brake gave warning it was going to overheat by a change in lever feel giving plenty of time to slow to a safe halt.  I have never heard of anyone having a disc warp and jam.  I can only assume if this happens that they did not have the correct equipment fitted. (perhaps small rotors??) Hope will happily spec their brakes for tandem use.

Hope now do disc brakes with ventilated rotors for extreme use.

Myself having use the power of the discs and being used to them I would never want to rely on a rim brake again.

A couple of things Robin thorn is wrong on.  In his information he says "..........we could have lived with through axles but the blades would also have needed to be un-tapered blades 31.8mm in diameter... we know how uncomfortable un-tapered 25.4mm blades..........."  Whilst I agree with him about the 20 mm axle (altho by careful dropout placement the risk of wheel ejection can be avoided) both cannondale and dawes supply tandems with discs and tapered curved QR forks.  He also states "........no manufacturer makes a fork specifically for tandem use, so there is nothing available which has the correct geometry, let alone a warranty for tandem use."  This is again wrong - whilst tandem rated forks are not common they are available - Marzocchi do some and so do other manufacturers and are happy to guarentee them for tandem use.  Some require modifications such as fitting reinforced steel steerers.  Geometry is simply not an issue in my experience and that of many others who use suspension forks. An american company will supply fully built tandems with guaranteed suspension forks.

Also in the Thorn tandem catalogue it says  "100kph can easily be reached, when descending Crowcombe without braking, on a tandem... the standard V brakes will stop the machine (on the 1 in 4 section) within 100m"  That simply is not good enough. 25m with discs as an estimate even allowing for the fact you are still on a steep slope{ I would expect under 20 m from 100kph on the flat) ( highway code states 18m for a car and that in itself is outdated)  we can brake hard enough to have a 2.3 inch sticky tyre squealing and slithering and the rear totally unweighted.  we can stop quicker than many a car from 100kph

I am afraid Robin is simply years behind the times here.  Technology has moved on and the things he questions simply are not an issue.  He is condemning his riders to use inadequate rim brakes with all the problems they have rather than proven effective discs.  No more rim wear, no more poor wet weather braking.  easy instant 1 finger stopping
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:26:14 pm by Teej »

Teej

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 11:29:27 pm »
I've been thinking about a disc for our Burley when it comes out of hibernation again.  Don't want a front one because of the cost: braze a mount on + new wheel.  But the back shouldn't be too bad as I've seen an interface to fit a disc rotor to the existing drag mount on our rear wheel, plus there are several clampon mounting brackets for the caliper.

If this was a solo I wouldn't bother because the rear wheel adds very little to the overall stoppage of the bike.  But on a tandem - where the weight stays further back under braking - I think this oughta be of benefit.  

Does anyone share this view or do you think that a rear disc would have little advantage over the current Vs?

Bear in mind that we don't need the new brake for slowing down on big hills, but rather for more control in mad Brummie traffic...

I wouldn't modify a frame to take discs - you need a purpose built frame to take the stresses

reb1

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 05:25:05 am »
    The Magura big is the only disk brake that I would consider for Tandem use. Even with this heavier duty brake it would be irresponsible to think that break management going down a grade is not needed. I would never retrofit an existing tandem with a disk brake. I would only use a disk brake on a tandem that was designed for this purpose. I agree with the Thorn article on proper breaking and why they currently do not use disk brakes on there tandems.
    I am getting ready to replace my over twenty year old touring bicycle and the older tandem. I will most likely get the Nomad to tour and commute with. My sweetheart/wife of over 25 years is no longer able to sit for long rides on a conventional bicycle seat. She can ride using a recumbent but has never felt comfortable using a solo bicycle. I can ride a recumbent but do not like the lack of visability for looking at the traffic. So a conventional tandem is out. I am looking at two hybirds a Hays Pino and a Bilenky Viewpoint. The Hays Pino uses the magura big disk brakes.