Author Topic: Sherpa is in the Que & front rack question?  (Read 5843 times)

AndyE

Sherpa is in the Que & front rack question?
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:47:58 PM »
Placed the order this week for a Sherpa. Unfortunately I could not stretch to a Raven as had originally intended. Considering all the other Items I will need Panniers etc,  my lust for the new toy had to kept in check. One item I left of the build was a front rack. Its doubtful I will get the chance for an extended over night trip this year so this was one item to sacrifice to keep the cost down.  

I have 40 plus years of sleeping out under canvas, backpacking, mountaineering, Sea kayaking etc, but I have never had the chance to ride a loaded bike other than with a small saddle bag of tools. So my question is, what is the difference between low riders and other type racks? would the size of the front panniers have to be smaller with low riders?  ok 2 questions :D
Andy
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:16:48 PM by AndyE »
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Sherpa is in the Que & front rack question?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »
The Sherpa is a great bike! You won't be disappointed!

I have only ridden with low rider racks in the front, so take my speculations with a bag of salt!

I think a lot of the benefit of the low riders is that the center of gravity of the load is much closer to the steering axis. Too much weight up above the axis and the front wheel flops over too easily.

For size, I think the issue is mostly clearance. On the road there are always curbs and such. On trails there will probably be more stuff to hit.

But folks will often enough ride with just front panniers, no rear panniers. So for sure the front can be bigger than the rear.

With your camping experience, you should have a blast with that Sherpa!

AndyE

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »
Thanks Jim, I intend on enjoying every mile with the Sherpa.
Andy

jags

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:02:36 PM »
Welcome Andy to be honest i think the low rider means the panniers sit low on the rack no more than that,front panniers are smaller ,will you be going for ortlieb or carradice both excellent last a lifetime tough as old boots.tubus racks are concidered the best light and super strong .
i sold my sherpa last year  what a blunder but i was stuck for money story of my life.
i had duo tubus racks up front and logo on the rear my panniers were ortlieb bikepacker plus dont forget the barbag great bit of kit ,
any idea what groupset your going to build the frame up with.
anyway best of luck with it great bike built like a feckin tank

jags,

AndyE

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 07:44:07 PM »
Hi jags, My Sherpa is almost default, except brakes, levers, shifters . It was all to be default items because of the total cost, but it is better that the build have the upgrades done now in the workshop by a pro builder than me doing it down the line and having items gathering dust in the garage. I have since the original order on Tuesday, upgraded to a son28. The Dyno was something that was going to upgrade next year when the proper turning stars , but again cheaper to do it now than later. I need to keep my phone fully charged at all times to keep in touch with my elderly parents. In matt black.
Andy

jags

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 07:55:22 PM »
son dynamo class bit of kit i had a shimano on mine worked perfect as well dynamo  the way to go.have you any tours in mind once you get sorted.

jags.

AndyE

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
I was just looking at a shake out trip, jags to Clumber Park in north Nottinghamshire, it's just over 20 mi from home and an area I know well from my day rides as a younger man. The Trans Pennine starts not far from me and I will be getting in some training between now and spring and have a trip over to see , a sea Kayaking friend who live on the Wirral who also is a keen cyclist. As I am retired or is that unemployable :-\ the world is my oyster as long as it is not to far from Doncaster well for the time beaning at least.
Andy
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:18:05 PM by AndyE »

AndyE

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
Hear is a copy of the build list.

BLD18877   X Thorn Sherpa Straight Bar Spec   BIKE BUILD   1
27980S565L46   Thorn Sherpa MK3 Frame - Black - 565L for 46 mm Forks   L RIGHT   1
27986S46   26" Thorn ST26 Steel Fork - 46 mm Offset - Black   B 01 A5   1
30777   (Kitpart) Wheel Reflectors - Orange   K 01 B   1
23276   (Kitpart) SJSC Reinforce Nylon Rim Tape - 26" (559) x 22 mm - Red   P 14 D1   2
KIT33146   [1] 30spd Ultra Wide Range Gearing 175mm (26") 11-36   KIT   1
32381   (Kitpart) Shimano FC-T551 175mm 2-pcs 48X36X26T, with Bottom Bracket, Black   B 01 A3   1
33795   (Kitpart) Shimano Deore CN-HG54 HG-X Chain 116 Links 10 Speed   W 06 I8   1
26215R1136   (Kitpart) Shimano HG62 10 Speed Dyna-Sys Cassette - 11-36T   K 30 C5   1
11694   Thorn Expedition Steel Rear Cycle Pannier Rack - Black Powdercoat   K 06   1
KIT33195   (BB) Straight Bar Dura Ace option (26") XT upgrade   KIT   1
12869   (Kitpart) Thorn 6061 Alloy Flat Handlebars - 25.4mm Clamp - Black   H 03 B5-6   1
30613   (Kitpart) OEM Ergon GP1-L Anatomic Grips - Large - Black   H 03 B7   1
10764   (Kitpart) Zefal Piing Bell - Black   P 52 I9   1
OWNMAN   (Kitpart) Thorn Bicycle & Tandem Owners Guide   SHOW ROOM   1
21857   (Kitpart) Shimano Dura Ace 10 Speed Thumbshifter Set   W 08 F8   1
30316   (Kitpart) OEM Shimano Deore XT BL-T780 Trekking V Brake Levers   B 03 A9-10   1
30318   (Kitpart) OEM Shimano Deore XT BR-T780 V Brake - FRONT   P 03 F3-6   1
33582   (Kitpart) OEM Shimano Deore FD-T611-L, Front Mech, Dual Pull Band Type for 44/48 tooth, Black   P 27 D3   1
20187BLK   (Kitpart) Shimano Deore RD-M591 9 Speed Top Normal Rear Derailleur - SGS / Long Cage - Black   P 03 D4   1
3813   (Kitpart) Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard Rigid Tyre - 26 x 1.75 Inch (42-559)   P 41 D1   2
3828   (Kitpart) Schwalbe SV13 Presta Tube - 26" Tyres - 40-559 to 62-559   J 01 C1-4   2
18605   (Kitpart) Velo Deluxe Sports Mens Saddle - Black   B 01 B2   1
33534   (Kitpart) OEM SKS / Thorn Chromoplastic Mudguards - 700c - P45 - Black   B 04 B1   1
34376   (Kitpart) OEM Shimano Deore XT BR-T780 V Brake - REAR   P 27 D1   1
KIT28884   Hub BLACK Schmidt SON 28 Front 36h.   KIT   1
27087H36   (Kitpart) Schmidt SON 28 Dynamo Front Hub - Black - 36 Hole   X 05 F7   1
KIT28889   Hub BLACK Deore Rear 36h   KIT   1
33587   (Kitpart) OEM Shimano Deore FH-T610-L Quick Release 8/9 Speed Rear Cassette Hub - Black - 36 Hole   P 09 D1   1
KIT28902   Rims BLACK Andra 30 26" - 36h   KIT   1
18843   (Kitpart) Rigida Andra 30 26" (559) MTB Rim - Black - 36 Hole Regular Drilling   B 04 A1-2   2
30777   (Kitpart) Wheel Reflectors - Orange   K 01 B   1
23276   (Kitpart) SJSC Reinforce Nylon Rim Tape - 26" (559) x 22 mm - Red   P 14 D1   2

jags

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 08:58:02 PM »
excellent gonna be a cracking bike for sure.
if you haven't guessed already Andy I'm in ireland and also unemployed.I'm actually on a jobseekers scheme at the moment but off sick with bad back genuine not faking it .mind you i hate the fecking place but that's another story  ;D ;D
i m also a member of the fellclub in the UK spent a great week in the cotswolds few years back with the club the craic was mighty loved every pedal stroke well except for those steep hills no matter i got over them eventually.hoping to get back over next year all going well theres a new touring festival in yorkshire should be good if not loads of fellclub meets to get too.
anyway be sure to post a few photos of your new baby and the very best of luck with it .

anto.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 12:07:45 PM »
Andy

Great news and it looks a fine build! You will love you new Thorn! Good to see the Thorn Rear Rack in there. It is a very strong rack. I got my Thorn Raven Tour a few years back and it came with Thorn Rack. Shortly after I bought a set of Ortlieb Front and Back Roller panniers and a Thorn Low Rider front rack. I would recommend the Thorn low rider rack. They do indeed keep the weight low and result in a very stable ride.

After three months round the North Sea Cycle Route the Thorn racks and Ortlieb panniers were a fantastic choice. Even on some rough forest tracks (part of the route in Denmark) the low riders maintained the stability of the front wheel. The Raven Tour rides better with front and back panniers. I would always use front and back together for better stability and to spread the load. There was up to 12kg on the front low loaders and up to 20kg on the back rack with 8 kg in an Ortlieb 31l RackPack (including food and water etc). It rode well though it took the first week to get used to the balance and feel of the bike (especially when getting on and off!).

On a very smooth downhill stretch in Norway, I reached 60km/hr and the fully loaded bike was very stable.

At the end of the tour there was a small hole in the bottom of one front pannier where it had rubbed against some rock or kerb. The Ortlieb repair kit made it totally waterproof again so no problems. Ortliebs or Carradice are great panniers.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:13:47 AM by StuntPilot »

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 01:23:24 PM »
When you get to the front rack, I am quite happy with the Tubus Ergo.  I also have a cheap little platform rack that mounts on the brake mounts that I occasionally use to strap some odd items.  In the photo I put my orange Polartec vest on that front rack.

I can't compare the Tubus with the Thorn racks, I have never seen the Thorn front rack other than in photos.

You made the right decision to get the hubs you want now, upgrading to a dynohub later is a much more expensive option.

AndyE

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 01:55:23 PM »
Thanks Stuntpilot. Your post has answered some more questions I was going to ask. 

bikerwaser

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 12:49:56 PM »
Message for mickeg ( or anyone else that knows ? )

where do you get that small rack from that goes on the front brakes ?

i've seen them but they were crazy expensive for such a little rack . i wonder if you knew of a cheaper version ?

thanks

Bikerwaser

AndyE

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 01:23:04 PM »

mickeg

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 01:55:54 PM »
Message for mickeg ( or anyone else that knows ? )

where do you get that small rack from that goes on the front brakes ?

i've seen them but they were crazy expensive for such a little rack . i wonder if you knew of a cheaper version ?

thanks

Bikerwaser

I would not want to put much weight on them, but they are very nice for small items like a water bottle or two, etc.  I am in USA, shipping elsewhere might be very costly.  

The one shown is from Nashbar.  
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_167593_-1___204669

On another bike I have one from Sunlite.  The Sunlite one has some little tabs that attach to the cantilever bosses that were not bent correctly, I had to bend them to fit correctly on the bike.
http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Gold-Tec-Front-Rack/dp/B002MKHR6G
http://sunlitecycling.com/product_detail.php?short_code=Gold+Tec+Front+Rack&cl1=RACKS+FOR+BIKES

Unfortunately I can't put one on my Nomad, the brakes are on the wrong side of the fork.