Author Topic: Which bike is for me? Rohloff or not?  (Read 5527 times)

ians

Re: Which bike is for me? Rohloff or not?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 03:36:13 pm »
I ordered mine at the end of April explaining that I had a big birthday in early June - exactly 6 weeks away.  They delivered it on the day (even put it on the invoice).

freddered

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 09:13:35 am »
Hi melw1

(I am the person who had a frame-swap to allow me to fit drops, after not getting on with flat bars)

I own a Raven Tour and have done so for nearly 2 years and 5000 miles.

I've done everything apart from off-road & racing. I've used it for short fun rides, commutes, heavy cycle-camping, hostel camping, 300km Audax.  It's great that I don't need to think which bike to use.

It's absolutely super-stable, comfortabe and, despite some opinions, deadly quiet (OK, it whirrs in low gears uphill but have a listen to derailleurs crashing and clunking up hills, usually they are worse).

The shifter mounted on the stem is no problem.  I admit that it was for a few days but it soon becomes natural.  It's certainly far more convenient than my old down-tube shifters or bar-end shifters (and millions of people still use them).

OK, it's no good saying it's great without me comparing it to something.  I have a 20 year-old British Eagle Touristique in 531ST.  I would say it's a perfect for comparison with a Super Galaxy.  It's light, responsive and looks every bit a 'Classic Tourer'.  I've done LEJoG on it (5 years ago) and countless thousand miles on it over 20 years.

Most importantly I've only done about 50 miles on it in the last 2 years. Each time I rode it it was to do a comparison, on a 14 mile timed lap near my home, between it and the RT.

Currently the Touristique holds my personal best, by 23 seconds, but it has gone both ways recently so I can confidently say there is absolutely no difference in performance between the two.

Over long distance though the RT comes out on top by a mile.  It's just so quiet, comfy and relaxing, it makes miles much easier.

The fact that it's built like a brick out-house is just a bonus.

PS.  Make sure the fork riser is long enough to accept accessory bar/shifter under the bars.  I would imagine things can get a bit tight otherwise.  

Finally, because I still love looking at it.......here it is.

melw1

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 10:05:10 pm »
Thanks Freddered for all your comments - much appreciated. Lovely bike too!  The scales are now tipping in favour of the Tour rather than Sport Tour but I still can't really decide on flats v drops. I need to try one now. So, I'll visit Bridgwater in the New year hopefully to have a play.

Tour is also a little cheaper so I can add a dynamo hub too which would be great.

I've emailed Thorn direct with some queries too to see what they say.

Can't wait for my birthday now [:)]