Author Topic: Free wheeling noise  (Read 3249 times)

Matt2matt2002

Free wheeling noise
« on: August 27, 2014, 10:47:13 am »
Not sure if this is strictly a Rohloff subject - but the noise is front the rear....

Also, not sure what the noise is called or caused by, but I am sure it should be there - it's just that I think it has recently changed and a little louder.

Also, when free wheeling down hill, the noise changes if I change gear. It's loudest in 14.
( that's why I think it's a Rohloff issue )

It's that clicking noise. Not pedal or chain or brake.
I am pretty sure it is an OK sound ( & I'd be in trouble if it wasn't there ) Sounds like a kind of ratchet or 'cog' noise?

Anyway - just asking if it could be a problem - if the sound is really becoming louder. I'm pretty sure it has changed.

Any thoughts folks?

Thanks

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

geocycle

Re: Free wheeling noise
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:57:58 am »
Yes the freewheel in the higher gears (8-14) does make a low clicking noise which is nothing to worry about.  In contrast 1-7 are near silent when freewheeling.  I'm occasionally aware of it on smooth tarmac under still conditions.  Are you coming up for an oil change? I found that the tone changes slightly following a change.

wheezy

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 11:08:39 am »
I find the freewheel noise from my Rohloff entirely erratic. It's always been this way though, so I ignore it.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:14:22 pm »
Yes the freewheel in the higher gears (8-14) does make a low clicking noise which is nothing to worry about.  In contrast 1-7 are near silent when freewheeling.  I'm occasionally aware of it on smooth tarmac under still conditions.  Are you coming up for an oil change? I found that the tone changes slightly following a change.

Thanks. Good point. I do keep a pretty accurate note of miles done between oil changes.
I'll double check my figures.
The last time I did a change ( the first since buyingvthe bike second hand and doing several thousand myself) there was an immense improvement all round. Hence me now keeping a good record of dates and milage.

The sound appeared to be more noticeable in the last week or so.
But as someone else has noted, maybe its an erratic thing?

rualexander

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 07:04:42 pm »
I find the freewheel noise from my Rohloff entirely erratic. It's always been this way though, so I ignore it.

Yes, this is my experience, although mine freewheels silently in the lower 7 gears, the top 7 make all sorts of variations on freewheeling sounds.

I have also noticed that with panniers on the sound changes, presumably because of the effect of the panniers reflecting and absorbing the noise differently than when there are no panniers there.

Tigerbiten

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 11:55:09 pm »
I tend to use to change in noise between 7th & 8th to tell me what gear I'm in.
Coming up to a junction I know I'll have to stop at, I'll shift it down until it goes silent and then up one.
That way I know I'll be in 8th gear to pull away in without looking at the shifter.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 11:14:11 am »
Just checked my mileage since last oil change - and have hit 4,800 Km since March this year.
Guess its time for a change and then assess noise level - although it's not getting worse.
Matt