Author Topic: Swithering over Audax and Club Tour  (Read 28802 times)

jags

Re: Swithering over Audax and Club Tour
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2014, 10:41:54 pm »
thorn bike's are good yours had a few issues things like this happens no big deal.when you get it sorted i dont think you'll be changing  again.
best of luck..

jags

triaesthete

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2014, 11:42:53 pm »

Definitely the bike and not you that's a bit Oeuf this time Doug.

Interesting observation about the team pro/b17.

Good luck
Ian

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2014, 08:50:27 am »
Good Morning.
I've not read all through this but I have seen Steve's reply to you on your initial email with link to your blog. One of his options was to offer you 100% refund despite the fact that we built the bike off menu for you (down-tube shifters).
However, the bent rear end is a problem, clearly it can't have left us like that, so it's either transit damage or something that happened since, either way we'll fix it.
I wouldn't normally communicate via the forum on matters like this but as we've not had an email from you about the most recent "developments" it's possible that you'll see my reply sooner and I also would like other forum users to see we actually are doing something! I would like to post Steve's reply to you in full just so others could see our level of aftercare but I think probably I need your permission as it was a private communication.
The telephone seems like the quickest route to resolve this issue, I will attempt to call you shortly.

leftpoole

« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2014, 12:18:34 pm »
Robin,
Thank you for this message (above). We have all been waiting for it!
Goodness knows why the OP did not contact you direct. In my own opinion starting up a 'Blog' with such negativity has not been the best thing to do.
Thank you again, I hope this finds and end to it?
John

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2014, 10:34:08 pm »
Hi,

here's Steve's email, which I have no probem in adding here.   To be fair, this 'latest development' happened at 10pm on Sunday, and Robin emailed me at 07:55 on Monday.   That's not a lot of time.   Although it is certainly true that I've avoided Steve's earlier email, for reasons which I've told the Thorn guys.

This afternoon I bought a new frame, which I intend to shift all the shift-able components over to.   I'll then return the original frame, and hope that the refund happens before my credit card bill appears!   I think the 'off-menu' thing is a bit odd, as the bike is (I assume) covered by the distance selling rules (you get 14 days to return the product from the date you receive it).

I think John (even before I decided which frame to buy) has done nothing but criticise and has contributed not a single positive thing to this whole thread.   Fair enough, that's the downside of brand-evangelists.   However, most people have come up with positive contributions, whether suggestions or encouragement to persevere.   For which, I am really thankful.

I did persevere, and yesterdays long ride proved that this was a frame I wanted.   Despite all the hassle so far, I've gone a bought another frame.  I mean, can you believe that?  I actually just paid £500 for a new frame, on top of already paying £1600 for the bike!   I didn't get all difficult and demand that Thorn take the financial risk on this one, I just went ahead and put the money down.   That's how good the frame is.   And that's what I've consistently said, the frame feels smooth and the reach is perfect.   It's untrue to say that I've been 100% negative about the bike.

I think Steve's email is quite cool.   But the cut steerer, hmm..  :)

"Hi Doug,

Thank you for your email. Sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your new Club Tour. I would like to take the time to address the points you made in your review on line and try to help you rectify some, if not all of the problems you are experiencing.

Can I first of start off by saying you do have a full 14 day money back guarantee with our bike so if you do not get on with it after 13 days let us know on the 14th day and you can return the bike for a full refund minus postage – there is no limit to the number of miles you ride during this time J.

If the position is not perfect then we are able to ship you a few different stems to have some final adjustment to get the perfect set up. This will allow you to ride the bike for a few days and then make a decision as to how you would like to adjust your position. The saddle being a Brooks will always be slippery initially and it may be helpful to angle it slightyl up or down to help compensate the sliding on the saddle. Also, you could try adjusting the saddle forwards and backwards to stop yourself from pushing back on the saddle.

With the forks, yes, we did cut the steerer as we feel this is something that has to be done so that most of our customers (who aren’t all mechanically minded) can simply take the bike out of the box and ride it straight away. As I say, not all customers are mechaniaclly inclined and would not be able to do this themselves. If the handlebars are too low there is an easy fix for this and this is to take your fitted stem and flip it over 180 degrees and refit it to the bike. This will raise the height of the bar and make you more relaxed. If this is not enough we can ship you a higher angled stem if need be, or we would simply send a new fork if we got it that far out. We take extra time and care to measure customers properly in the first place, so there is usually only ever small changes required which can almost always be taken up in the stem if need be.

The handlebar tape is wrapped close to the centre of the bar to keep the cable routing tidy. If the tape goes too far to the centre of the bar, then we feel it is easier to trim it than it is to redo the whole bar tape. If it is ripped then that would have been done in transit and we can happily supply a new set of tape as this should not be like that.

The brakes require bedding in and will improve over time and you will find their efficiency will  increase massively too. With regards to the brake levers we have not heard them rattle before, do they both do it or is it just one?

The gear levers are not in our brochure or menu options and this is somehting you specifically asked for. They are “old school tech” that does work well but with modern improvement in design we would recommend bar end shifter or STI levers for almost all users. We do not know of any higher quality 10 speed down tube shifters but if you can find any please send them back and we can refund you for the levers and this will allow you to find a set you like more.

The gears rubbing in certain chainrings can easily be resolved by moving the front mech shifter (friction) by a couple of degrees to allow the chain to run through without rubbing on the mech cage. The idea of friction shifters is to allow you that slightest bit of adjustment to stop the chain from rubbing. If we had fitted STI levers there is this trim position that stops the rubbing, but you requested a down tube shifter which does not have the option of a trim position, due to its friction. The rear mech is controlled by an indexed shifter and this helps to aid basic shifting through the rear cassette.

Most anatomic drop bars come back further thatn the headtube of the bike now and only a compact bar would stop at the head tube but if you do find you are hitting your knees then we could look at swapping the bar out to a compact version of the handlebar. Her is a link to a copmact shaped bar on our site. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-pro-lt-compact-drop-handlebars-318-mm-black-prod29863/

We have not heard that our fork can be too springy before and this may have been down to the road condition but we are unable to say without riding the same spec of bike on the same stretch of road. You do mention that you rode it on a smooth road and it did not occour again but this could be a new style of fork that you need to get used to.

The spare spokes that were provided loose could potentially make it difficult to know wich is which spoke so we take this under out belt and we will look at labeling our spare spokes for future customers to make it easier. The long spokes you have are for the front wheel and the shortest spoke is for the drive side of the rear wheel and the middle size is for the non drive side of the rear wheel.

Once again, I do wish to point out that you have a full 14 day money back guarantee for the Club Tour (minus postage of delivery and collection) so please do continue to ride it over the next few days and if you would like to change any parts please give us a call on 01278 441505 and we can discuss any issues you may still have."

jags

« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2014, 10:55:43 pm »
Well you cant get better than that ;)

Kuba

« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2014, 11:28:07 pm »
To be fair, this 'latest development' happened at 10pm on Sunday, and Robin emailed me at 07:55 on Monday.   That's not a lot of time.

Not a lot of time to email an interested party, but just enough to post publicly on a forum...? Up to you obviously, but don't be surprised when others say what they think about it, just like John did here.

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2014, 11:35:07 pm »
Not a lot of time to email an interested party, but just enough to post publicly on a forum...? Up to you obviously, but don't be surprised when others say what they think about it, just like John did here.

absolutely, just enough time to publicly post that the bike felt great.   that I'd just taken it on a very long ride and come back impressed.  yep, I thought that was worth it.   Not 'just like John did', no.

Andre Jute

« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2014, 01:20:47 am »
Man, you're standing in the church of the faithful, preaching heresy right in their faces; I can't think of any other forum where the members would be so helpful, all but tiny minority*. But I think you're well within your rights, and I wouldn't have been as polite as you in the face of a constant tide of negativity from John. All the same, you can count on Thorn to do the right thing; we've seen that time and again.

*For instance, see the nasty tide of abuse at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.bicycles.tech/LqY0UpZTIP0/KW_fz6H3sbQJ
when I explained why I consider a Waterford ludicrously overpriced. That's much more typical of cycle groups when someone tweaks the nose of the collective consciousness; this Thorn forum is a shining example of how most other fora can better themselves.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:24:04 am by Andre Jute »

Neil Jones

« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2014, 06:34:33 am »
Hope you manage to get your bike sorted now, Thorn are renowned for their after sales service.

Mightily impressed by your 200km test ride. Glad you like your Team Pro, I love mine, it will be a friend for life I'm sure.

Good luck with the outcome and looking forward to seeing more photos and ride reports on the forum.

Regards,
Neil.

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2014, 08:37:23 am »
Man, you're standing in the church of the faithful, preaching heresy right in their faces; I can't think of any other forum where the members would be so helpful, all but tiny minority*.

you right, the members of this forum have been overwhelmingly helpful and have topped-up the faith I needed to keep going.   

I'm now looking forward to catching my ferry on the 27th, and cycling out over the Alps.   Plenty of fresh mountain air, and lots of leg burning climbs.  :)

Kuba

« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2014, 09:00:16 am »
Andre, it's not about Doug preaching heresey at all, but about fairness. Until a week ago or so this was a very interesting thread, aside a few inflamatory and/or unhelpful comments. Overall, really nice support from members in choosing the right bike. However, since receiving his bike Doug seems to be communicating with Thorn also via his blog and the forum: first an email to them with a link to his blog, then posting about the bent hanger here instead of emailing them. How can they put it right before they know it's wrong? Of course Doug is within his rights trying to get the bike he's paid for, and clearly his seems to be a sloppy job, but the way he goes about it is just a tad unfair.

At the same time, sure I'm wishing him all the best getting it sorted!

Swislon

« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2014, 09:10:10 am »
Lets hope the new frame and your build creates the bike for the job in hand and the end result is worth all this hassle you are going through.
Looking forward to your ride reports.

I stated in a previous post my brake levers didn't rattle. Well i paid more attention to them on my ride on Sunday.
They rattle when braking, particularly on a rough piece of road (all the time then!). It is the end of the brake cable where it fits into the lever. When I just put my finger on the end piece it stops.
I hadn't noticed before. I don't find it a problem because I will just move my finger to stop it if it bothers me.

leftpoole

« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2014, 10:14:40 am »
Man, you're standing in the church of the faithful, preaching heresy right in their faces; I can't think of any other forum where the members would be so helpful, all but tiny minority*. But I think you're well within your rights, and I wouldn't have been as polite as you in the face of a constant tide of negativity from John.. All the same, you can count on Thorn to do the right thing; we've seen that time and again.

Andre
I was simply peed off with a new to the brand purchaser complaining in an open Forum. He should have gone direct to Thorn. He should not have written a Blog. He is and I will stand by this statement, 'in the wrong' in this instance!
I cannot believe that the 'described' bike has come from the workshop as it is. I cannot believe that the OP ordered the components and then does nothing but complain.
Madness, as a single call or email would have found a solution. But, no the OP takes the bike apart and buys new components? Why did he not simply buy a frameset alone and build accordingly?
Why has the rear gear hanger been bent?
John

Andre Jute

« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2014, 10:32:26 am »
At the same time, sure I'm wishing him all the best getting it sorted!

See what I mean? Everyone wishes Doug well.

I agree, he's being a bit unfair to Thorn, going public without first giving them a chance to fix what is wrong. But then his buying process has been entirely public, in this thread. You can't have it both ways. I think this sort of openness is worth money in the bank precisely because it exposes the occasional glitch, and it's fixing. It is much more believable than those carefully selected one-sided encomiums you find on the netsites of other products, including some bikes.