Author Topic: Cycling to Mongolia  (Read 2883 times)

Darragh

Cycling to Mongolia
« on: August 03, 2014, 09:04:11 pm »
So, if one were wanting to cycle to Mongolia from Europe which route (roughly speaking) would you take? What kind of issues do you run into with visas etc en route? Presuming you want to do it as cheaply as possible...

I have a vague notion of doing this one day as a fundraiser for a charity I know and then maybe working out there for a bit.

Thanks!!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Cycling to Mongolia
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:35:58 pm »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:42:01 pm »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 03:08:41 am »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 03:17:00 am »

lovefo#

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 09:39:55 am »
Hi Darragh - would recommend heading to Iran on a similar route I took (http://fearghaljo.wordpress.com/) and moving north from there through the Stans. (Other option is to go through Russia but big visa issues). The Euro Velo 6 route will take you all the way to Bulgaria. You will need visas starting with Iran. You can get to Turkey with just your passport.

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 12:22:58 pm »
Pete Gostelow didn't quite go through Mongolia, but he went pretty much everywhere else  ;)

Mark & Julie used some train hops but they did get to Mongolia..... and a good bit more.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 01:44:13 pm »
Hi Darragh - would recommend heading to Iran on a similar route I took (http://fearghaljo.wordpress.com/) and moving north from there through the Stans. (Other option is to go through Russia but big visa issues). The Euro Velo 6 route will take you all the way to Bulgaria. You will need visas starting with Iran. You can get to Turkey with just your passport.

Ate visa now available for Iran? UK passport holders needed a guide last time I heard.
Hope I'm wrong but someone clarify this please.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Darragh

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 05:06:58 pm »
Thanks for the replies folks, will have a look through some of these blogs... I like the idea of Turkey, Iran and north through the stans