Author Topic: new socks advice.  (Read 8080 times)

rualexander

Re: new socks advice.
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 09:31:20 pm »
I've never had much luck with Icebreaker I'm afraid, had two jerseys and both fell apart after a couple of years use although I did wear them quite a lot. Chocolate Fish seem to get good reviews so may try them next time. Every time I put a man made top on now it feels horrible or maybe I'm getting nesh in my old age.

The older Icebreaker stuff was better, I'm still wearing a top I bought in NZ in 1999. Other tops which have had a lot more wear still lasted a good ten years before developing holes in the elbow and at the neck where the zip is attached. Like other outdoor clothing firms they got caught up in fashion rather than function and also moved manufacturing to China instead of NZ and quality suffered.
Still good stuff though but overpriced.

mickeg

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 09:38:39 pm »
Yeah, I overlooked that. Thanks for pointing it out, Mick. I'm a credit card tourer, never more than a single shirt and one pair of clean socks and underjocks from home, and the landladies of the sort of guest houses I stay in are very accommodating about chucking one's clothes into the washer and dryer with the family's.

When you try to dry out your socks by attaching them to the top of your handle bar bag or the tops of your panniers where you get some air flow, you start to realize the importance of material that dries quickly.  That is also why I often use thin liner socks with thin regular socks instead of one pair of thicker socks, thinner socks dry faster.

jags

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 09:48:29 pm »
thank god we never get much rain here in sunny  ireland so no wet  feet or socks. ::)

Andre Jute

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 10:58:51 pm »
thank god we never get much rain here in sunny  ireland so no wet  feet or socks. ::)

Tweed socks are the answer. The rain just runs off them. Donegal tweed is best. I have a hat and a scarf made in Donegal from unwashed sheep (that's what defines "tweed", that the sheep are unwashed) and they've never been wet on the inside.

"Sheep that get wet on the inside are no good." -- Wise old Donegal shepherd
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:03:53 pm by Andre Jute »

jags

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2014, 11:07:43 pm »
when i placed that order the wife thought i bought at least 6 pair, ;D ;D for the price.
she freaked when i said it was a quality pair of marino socks,that just made matters worse  ::)
ah well onwards and upwards as the man said.

anto,
tweed might just be the answer andre. ;)

rualexander

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2014, 11:49:04 pm »

Andre Jute

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 01:17:22 am »
Get yourself a tweed bike while you're at it http://www.adventure-journal.com/2012/03/the-daily-bike-march-20-2012/

The mechanicals show wear, so he rides it. I wonder how he keeps the tweed clean. Good tweed has impressive dirt-repelling qualities, but not city road grime or chain grease.

macspud

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 03:37:53 am »

Anto I know you're careful with the cash :D so go here and pick some own brand Merino socks http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/clothing/footwear/socks

Happy tootsies
Ian

Good prices, shame their L/XL socks are only size 8-11 which I would call M/L and no use to me.  >:(

jags

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 10:00:19 am »
tweed what will they think of next,real posers bike i  reckon. ::)

anto

Andre Jute

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2014, 11:37:00 am »
tweed what will they think of next,real posers bike i  reckon. ::)

More honest than that pininfarina you put up, though. A real workingman's bike.

jags

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2014, 04:05:01 pm »
 ;D ;D ::)

jags

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2014, 01:59:29 pm »
newsocks just arrieved look good feel great.
excellent service from chainreaction.

anto.

Andre Jute

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2014, 05:15:59 pm »
newsocks just arrieved look good feel great.
excellent service from chainreaction.

Never a truer word spoken. There's a reason Chainreactioncycles is the favourite bike store of experienced Irish cyclists, besides the free delivery, which is already a very good reason. It is their fabulous service, including returns up to a year from purchase.

But sometimes I wish their selection would be just a little less geared to the BMX/roadie side of things, and a little more towards the touring/utility bikes.

jags

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2014, 06:14:17 pm »
i filled in a questionair  from them during the week  and i said exactly that.they need to cater  for the audax and touring cyclist.hopefully they will  ;)

anto.