Author Topic: new socks advice.  (Read 8081 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: new socks advice.
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 10:57:23 am »
Perhaps there is a healthy microbial population?
Of course, the odor must originate with bacteria, and I think it is the fabric content that is to blame. Given the character of the odor, I suspect polypropylene is present. That was billed as the next "miracle fabric" of cycling in the early 1980s and I can still Remember the horrible smell that caused this material to be abandoned for cycling jerseys.  Unlike wool's absorbent fibers, polypropylene trapped sweat in the weave, where it soured.

When I change to my one pair of different socks,  the odor is no longer in the shoes, thank goodness (otherwise, I think I'd have to burn them after my tour ends!). Good suggestions all, mickeg; thanks.

It will definitely be wool again for me on my next tour.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 02:47:36 pm »
Anto, I'd look at merino wool, for comfort & breathability.  I have a circulation problem, so I need to wear compression socks.  A lot of the time, I wear nylon-based knee socks, "empire-builders", as they're known in Southern Africa (Andre will smile, I know.)

In my search for Socks That Work Really Well, I've found a source in the US, Swiftwick.  They make a range of socks for sports, different sizes, different fabrics.  The best I've found are their merino socks. For me, I use their knee-high items -- cycling, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, hiking, running, motorcycling, in all 4 seasons. They're pricey (USD35 a pair) but they're the most comfortable socks I've ever worn. And they're durable.

Swiftwick do make ankle-high merino socks which fit cycling shoes very nicely, & I wear those occasionally as well.

Icebreaker, the NZ firm, also make merino cycling socks. (Icebreaker has one of the world's best puns: each of their items has a baa-code identifying the source of the wool.)

One of the best things about merino is that it hardly stinks at all.

Hope this is helpful, & good luck.

J.

jags

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 03:46:53 pm »
Thanks John and everyone else.yes i'll lok to see where i can buy marino.
i checked chainreaction they don't seem to have them i'll shop around no matter.

cheers
anto..

jags

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 03:54:42 pm »

Planet X

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 04:27:38 pm »
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-baabaa-merino-socks/rp-prod51316

....and a winter version. Have two pairs of above and a pair of winter ones. The best material. You don't need anything else.

mickeg

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 04:31:58 pm »
I recommended wool above for touring.

This thread is an education, almost like Air Force boot camp again.

I must be terminally old-fashioned. I wear pure cotton on the bike, in layers I can put on and take off as required, with leather shoes.

Cotton wears like iron, to steal a phrase from up-thread, and looks so smart that I've been asked by small boys at the supermarket why I dress like the ladies, meaning the young housewives who turn out in leggings with one of their husbands' business shirts over. Next they'll be asking me for proof of age at the liquor store...

I've cotton to thank for all that. Highly recommended.

But around home I use cotton.  At home, the long drying time is not a problem, I have a clothes dryer and at home I can use the washing machine instead of hand washing in a sink.  But for touring I think cotton takes too long to dry.

A side note - why do most campgrounds have sinks without drain plugs?  I carried a generic sink drain stopper on my last tour, it was indispensable.

triaesthete

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 04:47:44 pm »

Anto I know you're careful with the cash :D so go here and pick some own brand Merino socks http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/clothing/footwear/socks

Happy tootsies
Ian

Andre Jute

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 05:01:14 pm »
Anto I know you're careful with the cash :D so go here and pick some own brand Merino socks http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/clothing/footwear/socks

Fabulous find, Ian. That's a good price for wool.

rualexander

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 05:22:38 pm »
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/ie/bridgedale-mens-coolfusion-trailhead-sock-3c110300?id_colour=123.

what do you reckon on these  look pretty good well made. ;)

Not a high enough merino percentage in those.
60% merino would be a minimum for me.
I'm a big Icebreaker fan but their socks and other stuff is pretty expensive these days.
Smartwool are not as good.

jags

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 05:26:39 pm »
ah for god sake i ordered the baa baa from chainreaction.
ian just about 15 seconds to late with that link.the wife wont let me use the credit card again .
huh lets hope that baa baa sheep had a good life  i need these socks to last. ::)

anto.

triaesthete

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 07:33:10 pm »
 Sorry I was late to the thread Anto  ???

Andre, On One are THE value for money retailer: good stuff, good service, good price. Yorkshire folk tha' knarrs.

If you like Merino this is both THE BEST GARMENT and THE BEST VALUE FOR MONEY GARMENT I have ever had the pleasure of owning (not a sock though!)

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLOOMCELS/on-one-merino-core-element-long-sleeve-with-zip-200g

Wooly days (every day)
Ian

jags

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 08:41:38 pm »
Thanks for the heads up anyway Ian,i'll shop there another day hopefully.

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 08:45:08 pm »
My, that is a nice looking pullover, Ian. Makes me wish dearly OnOne was closer to me!

Best,

Dan.

Neil Jones

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 09:20:56 pm »
I've never had much luck with Icebreaker I'm afraid, had two jerseys and both fell apart after a couple of years use although I did wear them quite a lot. Chocolate Fish seem to get good reviews so may try them next time. Every time I put a man made top on now it feels horrible or maybe I'm getting nesh in my old age.

Andre Jute

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 09:24:39 pm »
I recommended wool above for touring.

But around home I use cotton.  At home, the long drying time is not a problem, I have a clothes dryer and at home I can use the washing machine instead of hand washing in a sink.  But for touring I think cotton takes too long to dry.

Yeah, I overlooked that. Thanks for pointing it out, Mick. I'm a credit card tourer, never more than a single shirt and one pair of clean socks and underjocks from home, and the landladies of the sort of guest houses I stay in are very accommodating about chucking one's clothes into the washer and dryer with the family's.