Author Topic: Advice re headset sorting out . . .  (Read 2761 times)

lewis noble

Advice re headset sorting out . . .
« on: June 30, 2014, 05:01:11 pm »
I usually post on here in relation to my Thorn Ripio, but this is something different . . . .

I was recently given, on a 'use it or scrap it' basis, an old road bike by neighbours moving house.  It has been in storage for a good number of years, an old Norco Aventis S L.  Looks scruffy but in remarkably good condition, I think hardly ridden before put in the cellar, but nothing seized, everything works.  I have put new tyres and tubes on - (630 size or something?) and ridden it round the block OK, goes very well,  Sun Tour gears (6 x 2) and DiaCompe brakes, wheels running true.

Very much like the old Witcombe I owned in the 1960s, and rode big mileages on.  My plan is to use it on good roads, in good weather, if I can.

But the stem / drops are too low for me, and on the limit line - and I wonder if the stem size is still available.  Threaded headset, the tube out of the top, I think called a quill, is 22mm diameter.  So, I guess the steerer tube is bigger??  Its a while since I worked on this sort of machine . . .

My plan is to get a longer quill version, or with a rising stem - any suggestions? Is that size still available?? I want to keep the cost as low as possible . . .

Lewis

jags

Re: Advice re headset sorting out . . .
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 05:13:51 pm »
stronglight 1inch headset i reckon ,from sjs.

jags

ians

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 05:15:49 pm »
Lewis

something like this might do the trick http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/genetic-quill-stem-adaptor-1-inch-quill-to-1-1-8-inch-threadless-adaptor-prod22444/

you can then lay around with Ahead stems which will give you a bit more choice these days.  If the bars are 25.4 you can even use a MTB stem.

ian

lewis noble

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 05:44:36 pm »
That's good news, more choice than I was expecting.  I had not realised that the different diameters relate to the different dimensions of the steerer tube and the quill, which made me wonder if the size was now completely non standard.

Thanks guys.

Keep any suggestions coming, but out this evening so no more prompt replies for a bit.

Lewis

freewheeler

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:23:17 pm »
Hi Lewis,

I had to do the same thing to my old drop-bar touring bike last year when the frame was resprayed. After 4 weeks touring on it last Summer I was getting tired of the hunched up racing position so started looking into raising the bars. I got tired of staring at the tarmac rather than looking at the scenery!

I looked at the range of tall 1" quill stems and there are quite a few cheap (and ugly) no-name ones available and a few expensive but elegant ones from the likes of Nitto. Their Technomic would be a good option as it's tall but it is not cheap. If you like those retro polished quill stems then they may be worth a look.
In the end though, I bought a Velo Orange quill adapter and matching stem mainly because I liked the polished alloy look. This gave a good choice of stem length and angle. It  also made trying different bars easier as there's no need to thread the bars through the stem like the old quill stems. So far, it works well. I can raise and lower the quill adapter to change the height of the bars and, if ever needed, alter the reach by swapping the stem out.

Good luck sorting the bike out.

Cheers,Mark

triaesthete

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 01:25:42 am »

Lewis
if you shop around you can get a 225mm tall Nitto technomic from a UK supplier for £30!! They are a thing of beauty too, with a beautiful lustre like 70s Campag, really, really nice  :-*

Will work for you if the internal diameter of your steerer tube (which the headset locknut and top bearing race screw onto) is 22.2mm (7/8") and the clamping section of your handlebars is 25.4mm (1") diameter.

The term quill refers to the stem itself not the steerer (the bottom end is cut at an angle, like the nib of a quill pen, so the wedge can act on it.)

I bought one for a nice old road frame I didn't want to bend down too far to ride.

As an aside I think these old style quills are less rigid than modern stem arrangements but was surprised ti find that this improves comfort, with no drawbacks for non-sprinters.

Happy days
Ian

lewis noble

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 02:17:50 pm »
Very helpful advice, thanks guys.

I will probably go for one of the adapters that will enable me to use one of the selection of threadless type stems I have at home, not the way the purists would go for, but will suit me as I get used to riding that sort of bike again.  I will check bar dia first!! and keep old kit in case whoever I (eventually) pass the bike onto wants it.

Up to know, all I have done is new tyres / tubes, brake cables and serviced headset.  I'll get the rest sorted out in due course.

Lewis

jags

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 05:12:53 pm »
wheres the pic's ;)

jags.

lewis noble

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 08:24:15 pm »
Working on it, jags, got to get the film developed . . . . .

jags

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 09:14:42 pm »
hah very good black and white always looks better ;D ;D

lewis noble

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 11:04:16 am »
Update on this - headset sorted, I got the genetic riser from sjsc and fitted a spare Thorn(!) stem on, which gives me a much better riding position.

Next job will be overhaul the pedals, they look rusty but work OK, a little loose in the bearings. and the hubs and BB.  Looking forward to this, and to taking it to France next month along with my Thorn for some good weather / good road rides.

The tyres are 630 x 32 - 27 x 1.25.  tyres are OK, the recycling centre that advised me on the bike had some almost unused ones lying around, World Tour (!) tyres.  and they had new tubes, presta valves, but no spare tubes.  Anyone know where I can get this size?? Or would a 700 x 32 be OK??

Lewis

Donerol

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 05:02:03 pm »
Not quite sure what you are asking, but a tube for 700c x 32 will also do for 27 x 1 1/4.

Michelin World Tour may now be the only tyres still available for 27" wheels - you can get them cheaply from Chain Reaction. I don't know if there are any other makes/models in that size.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:34:09 pm by Donerol »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 05:59:09 pm »
Schwalbe Marathon also come in 27 x 1 1/4 = 32-630

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

lewis noble

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 07:26:05 pm »
Thanks for your help - reassuring to know that tyres / tubes in that size or compatible are still available.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Lewis