Author Topic: Why cut the steerer tube?  (Read 11059 times)

horizon

Why cut the steerer tube?
« on: June 21, 2014, 09:45:07 PM »
This may have been discussed before (many times) so apologies if it has!

Looking at a post on here linking to a Sherpa on ebay, I was pleased to see one in the right size and colour but the steerer tube having been cut quite short made it a non-starter.

The good thing about Thorns is that you get the steerer tube height you want. A high tube is also useful for accessories. Leaving the tube in place and uncut means that there is scope to change the handlebar height for either yourself if you want or for a new owner.

So why do people cut them short? Is this for safety or aesthetic reasons or what? Or is the tube that extends above the bars simply in the way?

bikerta

Re: Why cut the steerer tube?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 11:32:30 PM »
When I bought my Sherpa recently, SJS were not too happy at letting me ride the bike with the steerer tube left uncut above the handlebars due to safety reasons. I must admit when I was riding the bike with the tube left uncut, it did make you think what would happen if the bike stopped very quickly and you didn't. The thought of impalement did not really appeal.

I left mine as long as I could get away with because as you say it leaves more flexibility for you to adjust your handlebars height and also gives you more space for the accessory bar(s). I happen to like the look of the bike like that too, but many don't.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 02:38:10 AM »
I asked for just one spacer extra above the handlebars & SJS gave me that without comment. I could flip my stem too to raise the handlebars if I wanted someday. I hadn't thought about mounting accessories there before I bought my bike.

Speaking of adequate clearances etc. I had mentioned in a recent post that a gravel road I was riding got too steep and I lost traction. So I lost balance and had to get my feet on the ground in a big hurry. The sloping top tube of my Nomad's compact frame was really just on the dangerous edge of not really sloping enough. But not beyond the edge. Whew! Very glad to have had that adequate clearance!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 07:30:31 AM »
Jim,

That sloping top tube on the Nomad is a feature I've been grateful for more than once myself!

One of Thorn/SJS Cycles' lesser known bargains is their line of replacement forks. Considering all that goes into them in materials, construction, and craftsmanship, they really are a bargain and the price is reasonable in absolute terms as well, especially compared to other manufacturers...Many of whom offer no replacement at all!

If a used bike is a bargain and looks right otherwise,  a replacement, color-matched fork from SJS Cycles might just make it the "perfect" bike at a reasonable additional cost.

Best,

Dan.

leftpoole

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 08:25:19 AM »
This may have been discussed before (many times) so apologies if it has!

Looking at a post on here linking to a Sherpa on ebay, I was pleased to see one in the right size and colour but the steerer tube having been cut quite short made it a non-starter.

The good thing about Thorns is that you get the steerer tube height you want. A high tube is also useful for accessories. Leaving the tube in place and uncut means that there is scope to change the handlebar height for either yourself if you want or for a new owner.

So why do people cut them short? Is this for safety or aesthetic reasons or what? Or is the tube that extends above the bars simply in the way?

Hello,
My own view, should be to cut off unwanted steerer for aesthetic reason. It makes me cringe when I see some of those high uncut steerers-some people even have bars about a foot or more higher than the saddle!!!
Best regards,
John

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 11:12:56 AM »
I agree with John, it's about aesthetics.  for me it is great to have the option to cut to just the right length and you need to take time to get it right, but then it needs to be trimmed! I am not keen on having much sticking above the stem as this could do some damage if you ever exit over the bars. But I can't decide if I prefer the stem slightly up, down or just horizontal.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 12:21:50 PM »
Adding my two - pence worth, I agree with everyone above!

The decision to trim is an aesthetic one *and* functional as well.

As it happens,  I needed the majority of my steerer length on Sherpa and Seymour the Nomad to get the tops of my drop handlebars level with the top of my saddle.  I then used almost every bit of the remainder to mount a couple water bottle cages, one Thorn Accessory T-bar for the handlebar bag, and a second one atop the steerer to mount the GPS and Rohloff shifter and various accessories like my SkyMounti inclinometer and Planetbike Blaze Micro LED headlight/blinky.

As with many hobbies, its all good so long as nobody gets hurt or loses an eye.

All the best,

Dan.

horizon

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 11:26:32 PM »
Thanks all for the replies. The trouble is that when there's a practical reason and an aesthetic one, you aren't really convinced by the practical one! In my own case I would leave the steerer largely uncut as I want the bars high but the final cut would still be an issue. I'm not convinced by the idea that an injury would be caused by the uncut steerer as the rider is likely either (1) to be thrown forward and clear of the bike, (2) against the bars and steerer tube or (3) the bike collapses underneath him and he falls across it. But I'm hoping someone else has thought this through more thoroughly - I'm only saying that it isn't completely obvious to me that the steerer tube would cause injury and I could be totally wrong.

jags

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 09:44:38 AM »
ah but if you crash none of that matters does it, down you go and not a thing in the world you can do about it just hope pilot and machine are not damaged  ;D ;D
so you might as well cut the steerer tube to its proper height and make the bike look as its supposed to look.
besides it will preform better  ::)

leftpoole

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 09:59:34 AM »
ah but if you crash none of that matters does it, down you go and not a thing in the world you can do about it just hope pilot and machine are not damaged  ;D ;D
so you might as well cut the steerer tube to its proper height and make the bike look as its supposed to look.
besides it will preform better  ::)

Also in my opinion, if the steerer is so high then the frame usually must be too small?
Exceptions to the rule are obviously short legs long body or bad back......
John

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 11:35:51 AM »

Also in my opinion, if the steerer is so high then the frame usually must be too small?
Exceptions to the rule are obviously short legs long body or bad back......
John

Or personal posture preference.

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »
On two of my bikes, I have not cut it.  On each I have one or two 10mm spacers above the stem, the stem is horizontal.  I like the looks of a horizontal stem and left it this long to aid in resale for taller customers.  For aesthetics, I think it would look best on my bike with two 10mm spacers above the stem if I cut it for no more than one spacer above the stem.  But, I am too lazy to take the time to cut it 10mm.

On my bike with S&S couplers, I cut the steerer to be as short as it will work with my steeply angled stem to be the right height, I wanted the fork as short as practical for packing and shipping.  To make sure I did not cut too much, I cut it three times, the first two times I intentionally left it a bit long.

jags

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 02:36:48 PM »
yeah but you have your bars at 10mm which is  grand, but if there mounted at top of uncut stempost  then man oh man its going to be a terrible ride besides looking awful. ::)

ians

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »
My new Sherpa with uncut steerer.  I have no plans to cut it either. 

If I were to cut the steerer I'd need a stem with a steeper angle to get the bars at the same height.  But then they'd be too close.  So I'd need a longer stem.

jags

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 03:37:09 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D i eat my words looks great ian.

jags