Author Topic: XTC ready for Scotland Tour  (Read 3476 times)

JWestland

XTC ready for Scotland Tour
« on: June 12, 2014, 12:37:25 pm »
Ready for summer...here's the specs for you tech keen ones ;)

Rear: Shimano Deore XT
Front: Shimano 105
Wheels: Shimano Rear XT/Front LX on Sun CR18 with non butted spokes
Cranks: Shimano Ultegra
ST: Shimano 105
Brakes: Avid Shorty 6 with Koolstop
Bags: Ortlieb Backpacker + Front bag <--- SJS has the best prices
Tires: Panaracer Pasela TG (called PT these days)
Pedals: Shimano XTR
Saddle: Selle SMP TRK (yeah it looks molten/Dali saddle but that pointed down nose IS good when riding out of saddle...function over looks)
Stem/Seatpost: Cheap and cheerful nobody has any cheap used scratchy Thomson lying about no? :P
Frame: XTC looks like a Reynolds 853 one...but somebody took off decals (WHY) size 525L

PS: Belfast cycling lanes are really on the UP! Don't forget to visit, see Nomadic/go out to see the duckies in Castle Espie and go on the scenic route to the coast (outside rush hour...it's hilly and one lane in places)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:39:32 pm by JWestland »
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

Re: XTC ready for Scotland Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 01:05:43 pm »
nice set up exactly how i like it rear panniers and barbag.
are you guys camping.

jags.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:16:27 pm »
Doing South West Scotland.
If you pass through St. Johns Town of Dalry, call in to my old shop. Its the only one in town opposite the Clachan pub.
The new owners are great. Post Office and general store.
Mention my name.
Matthew Newton
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

alfie1952

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 02:11:36 pm »
Hi Jawine,

Looks a nice setup. As for your saddle, I like it, and like you say when out of the saddle it would be more comfortable, and not feel like a Labrador poking its nose in peoples business.
Have you got your route planned, and is it camping or credit card. Whatever, I'm sure it will be an experience to remember, and obviously the forum members will enjoy all the photographs you post.

Wishing you sunny days and happy trails .

Regards, Alfie

macspud

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 11:31:59 pm »

Saddle: Selle SMP TRK (yeah it looks molten/Dali saddle but that pointed down nose IS good when riding out of saddle...function over looks)

I've been looking into Selle SMP saddles recently. I found Steve Hogg's bike fitting wibsite has much helpful information on them:
http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/09/all-about-smps/
It seems that dialing in the right possitioning of an SMP saddle can make a huge difference.

Steve Hogg is known worldwide for his bike fitting and his website is full of interesting reading.

I've also been looking at Cobb and ISM saddles, the Cob website also has lots of good info on bike fit, aero, etc in the articles section:
http://www.cobbcycling.com/articles
The fact that there is a 90 day comfort guarantee on Cobb saddles makes them look worthy of a trial. They also lokk like they would be comfortable.

I was thinking of getting a Selle SMP TRK as a trial before trying out one of the more expensive versions. I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on yours and how you're getting on with it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:01:26 am by macspud »

JWestland

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 11:17:32 am »
Tx for the kind words all! We will try to go to shop Matt :)

So it's B&B as my parents aren't 20 anymore, and neither am I. I would love to try a camping holiday for a few days to see if I like it...

So I haven't used the saddle that much yet so will have more info when back. Some observations:

1 - The TRK are very wide, man's is 160 wide. So I took that. Some people take the Hybrid one therefore to prevent chafing.
2 - The cutout is GREAT. No more saddling poking where the "bits" are. + free airco lol
3 - It's shape clearly has a bit of a hammock, so it will direct you to sit there. So you may have to slide it back/forth a bit to get it right
4 - TRK is reasonably padded, the road models are as hard as Stephen Hawking's homework. This you can ride w/o padded shorts, road maybe if you have callouses on your bones.
5 - The TRK has basic flat long rails, so any touring/MTB seatpost should do.
6- The rear of the saddle seems intentionally shaped with wee bulbs to push your bones in. Good.

No more complaining left hip (old injury on tendon) on this. Happy days.

I got mine for £35 on CRC in sale, so it's not a big financial risk. The road models are super £££ but these aren't.

JWestland

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 11:10:57 pm »
Packed, ready to go...

Canti screw threads have gone on brake end (of course you find that out the day before!!!) but it works anyway.

Le Manfriend can't find his crank extractor so there may be a hurried trip to the bike shop tomorrow morning. Ah well always last minute things go wrong, no matter how well you plan.

JWestland

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 11:52:55 am »
Bike and rider doing well. Will do write up when back. Nice to lovely weather :)