Author Topic: GREEN APPLE HOW CAN I MAKE THEM MORE PUNCTURE PROOF??  (Read 10364 times)

sd

Re: GREEN APPLE HOW CAN I MAKE THEM MORE PUNCTURE PROOF??
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 10:24:34 am »
Went to use the bike Saturday... the Supreme had puncture. 2 tyres get punctures on the bike stand. Now understand why first one got one, it had a large thorn it but the Swalbe Supreme? I took it of the front it didn't have one when I took it off.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:22:39 am by sd »

jags

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 11:25:10 am »
maybe the tyres lewisnoble is selling would suit you better.a lot of the world touring lads loved them saying they were the best tyre ever ,schwalble done make them anymore as far as i know.maybe they were to bullitt proof

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 03:43:54 pm »
worth making sure the rim tape is solid. If a spoke end were to be exposed, that could give you punctures on the stand with two different tires.

a genuine nuisance any which way!

I just put 55 mm Marathon Almotion tires on my Nomad. My fenders are SKS P55 and the clearance is a bit tight. Bits of gravel rattle around in that little gap and don't quite get stuck but hmmm not pleasant anyway. Could be just my mind playing tricks but the extra 5 mm does seem to add a bit more cushion on the rocky trails!

sd

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 08:23:55 am »
maybe the tyres lewisnoble is selling would suit you better.a lot of the world touring lads loved them saying they were the best tyre ever ,schwalble done make them anymore as far as i know.maybe they were to bullitt proof
Who? Is he on this forum? Thanks

in4

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 09:14:53 am »
Why don't you get a pair of these on very special offer from sjs. Bit of a no brainer for the price!

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-extreme-folding-tyre-26-x-225-inch-%2857-559%29-prod19498/

Job done! Next?

lewis noble

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 09:53:01 am »
lewisnoble here!!  In the forum as lewisjnoble.

The Marathon XR I am selling are probably best described as heavy duty touring tyres, now replaced in the Schwalbe lineup with the Mondial I think.  The XRs had a reputation for being very strong and puncture resistant - I doubt if anything is puncture proof, but the Xrs are syupoosed to be as near that as you can get. 

See my post in Bike Bits for Sale.

By the look of them, the Extremes are more for heavy duty off road touring?

Lewis   07980 202830

julk

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 10:13:38 am »
The XRs are designed not to fail in use.
The ride is a bit agricultural compared to something like Duremes, but then the XRs are just about bullet proof.

I have a son who can break anything, apparently without effort.
I put XRs on his touring bike and they are coexisting just fine.

Recommended if you want strong, long lasting tyres to carry a heavy load.
julk.

lewis noble

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 10:17:52 am »
A good description, julk - the Duremes certainly roll along better than the XRs, but will probably not take as much abuse.  I also have a son who wears things out quickly!

sd

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 05:32:46 pm »
Why don't you get a pair of these on very special offer from sjs. Bit of a no brainer for the price!

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-extreme-folding-tyre-26-x-225-inch-%2857-559%29-prod19498/

Job done! Next?
To big. Want to use big apple anyway. The 2.35 is just catching the Dutch bike lock. So will buy 2.15 big apple. Putting the Supreme on the back for now. I begrudge paying a fair price so will bide my time for 2.15s

Andre Jute

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 06:08:06 pm »
2.15in Big Apples is what will fit anyway. It's been in the literature for years. I remember it distinctly as it is what first attracted my attention to Thorn, that unllke other touring bike makers, they offer decent width forks.

sd

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2014, 07:38:33 pm »
No talking about the Travelmaser. The Thorn Ravern Enduro will easy take 2.35 but it doesn't need them. I run Marathon Plus on the Thorn still comfortable. Its the Travelmaster that needs a bit of sus. Anyway fitted big apple front and Supreme on back. Much better feel but very odd, it felt like I was noticeable more upright? Could it be that there is a significant enough difference between the two tyres to make me feel more upright.... weird!

Andre Jute

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2014, 07:45:52 pm »
The Thorn Ravern Enduro will easy take 2.35

Are you sure? With mudguards? Have you tried it?

sd

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 08:06:51 pm »
The Raven Enduro is a mountain bike and they were on when I bought it (second hand) They were old ones very poor puncture protection. I could put lead wheels on the Thorn and it would still be comfortable.

sd

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 11:19:48 am »
Are you sure? With mudguards? Have you tried it?
checked again no mudguards 1.75" Marathon on. Can push my finger and thumb passed the rear tyre. So will probably will take 2.35