Author Topic: Meths replaced by bio-ethanol?  (Read 6636 times)

rualexander

Meths replaced by bio-ethanol?
« on: May 16, 2014, 08:18:22 pm »
Went in to stock up on some meths today for going on holiday next couple of weeks and discovered that the usual outlets I go to (Go Outdoors and Cotswold Outdoor) no longer sell meths and it seems it is no longer available due to EU regulations.
Both stores are now selling this bio-ethanol as a replacement fuel http://www.fuel4.co.uk/bio-ethanol-spirit-fuel

I haven't read anything about this discontinuation of traditional meths anywhere, has anyone else?

Tried out the bio-ethanol in my Trangia just now and it seems to work ok.

FLORENCE

Re: Meths replaced by bio-ethanol?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 06:09:59 pm »
we use the eko fuel bioethanol fuel in our trangia, it works great.

bikerta

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:14:06 pm »
Hi Rualexander,

I remember you used a Honey Stove on your trip to the Highlands, and just wondered if you used this as your only stove? I presume that if the weather is wet then you would only use the stove in the Trangia mode. Have been considering buying one for my JOGLE but need to be sure that this would work as my only stove as cannot take both this and my usual gas stove due to the weight and space needed. Never used a Trangia before, so wondered what they are like for cooking on as I would usually sit outside the tent and cook for myself rather than eating out. (this would be VERY dependant on weather and midge conditions though as I may have to find comfort in a local pub or cafe) I love the idea of the stove in wood burning mode though and would use this as my first choice provided dry wood can be found.

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 09:28:16 pm »
Hi bikerta,

Yes I have done trips where I only took the Honey Stove plus the Trangia burner, it works well with the burner supported in the special trangia adapter plate which comes with the Honey stove. The only minor issue might be in windy conditions where the your pan is exposed to the wind, increasing boil times, but you get the same with a gas stove if you don't use a windshield, and you can always get around it by blocking the wind with a pannier or something.
I would certainly be happy using it instead of a gas stove, which I don't consider suitable for anything longer than a weekend trip due to the cost of gas and difficulty knowing how much gas is in the canister.

The Honey stove can be a bit fiddly to put together, especially when new, but not a big problem.
In wood burning mode, a smoky fire helps keep the midgies away, important at this time of year.
If you order a Honey stove, get some of the Hammaro Tinder Card for fire lighting. A few drops of meths on a couple of cotton wool balls is also good for lighting the sticks.

Photo of Honey Stove with Trangia burner in use,

leftpoole

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 09:41:49 pm »
Went in to stock up on some meths today for going on holiday next couple of weeks and discovered that the usual outlets I go to (Go Outdoors and Cotswold Outdoor) no longer sell meths and it seems it is no longer available due to EU regulations.
Both stores are now selling this bio-ethanol as a replacement fuel http://www.fuel4.co.uk/bio-ethanol-spirit-fuel

I haven't read anything about this discontinuation of traditional meths anywhere, has anyone else?

Tried out the bio-ethanol in my Trangia just now and it seems to work ok.

Non availability due to EU? RUBBISH!
I buy regularly and use Trangie Mini and full sized stoves.
The Gell stuff works but not so well as Methelated Spirit.
Buy from any Hardware Store.
John

rualexander

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 10:23:08 pm »
Non availability due to EU? RUBBISH!
I buy regularly and use Trangie Mini and full sized stoves.
The Gell stuff works but not so well as Methelated Spirit.
Buy from any Hardware Store.
John

Traditional 'meths' has indeed been discontinued, although existing stocks can still be sold until they are exhausted.
The replacement doesn't have to be bioethanol but the formulation for completely denatured alcohol has been changed and excludes methanol which was the main denaturant in traditional 'meths'
So 'meths' will no longer be available when existing stocks run out, but denatured alcohol, both bio and non-bio will still be produced.

See the pdf at the following page
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_PublicNoticesAndInfoSheets&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_PROD1_032752
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:25:51 pm by rualexander »

jags

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 11:04:19 pm »
you can buy meths in any paint store or art supplyers ;)

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 03:26:39 am »
I found fondue fuel in the hardware store, about 75% of the cost of meths two aisles over. Go figure... Works just fine in my Trangia, & is lurid blue instead of blue-purple.

leftpoole

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 11:35:52 am »
Traditional 'meths' has indeed been discontinued, although existing stocks can still be sold until they are exhausted.
The replacement doesn't have to be bioethanol but the formulation for completely denatured alcohol has been changed and excludes methanol which was the main denaturant in traditional 'meths'
So 'meths' will no longer be available when existing stocks run out, but denatured alcohol, both bio and non-bio will still be produced.

See the pdf at the following page
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_PublicNoticesAndInfoSheets&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_PROD1_032752

As a matter of interest following my reading of the above-there is no wonder I do not wish to be an EU state member! Madness.
I have been using meths since chidhood!
John

Neil Jones

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 03:58:21 pm »
Though not looking for it I noticed that Halfords are still selling it too.

rualexander

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 05:21:27 pm »
As a matter of interest following my reading of the above-there is no wonder I do not wish to be an EU state member! Madness.
I have been using meths since chidhood!
John

The reason for the change seems to be to reduce the toxicity of the formulation which is surely no bad thing.

leftpoole

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 08:47:30 am »
The reason for the change seems to be to reduce the toxicity of the formulation which is surely no bad thing.

Hello
Purchased 2 x 5lt containers at local Hardware store and ordered
4 x 5lt online Free delivery!
So stocked for the remainder of if not my life, at least my Camping days I guess/
John

jags

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 12:49:23 pm »
any spare meths john, ;D ;D

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 04:31:12 pm »
any spare meths john, ;D ;D

Some cop-bot is reading this thread and sending an e-mail to a flesh and blood cop: Investigate these meths crims!

jags

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 05:10:19 pm »
could be a short story in this thread Andre ;)

anto.