Author Topic: New Sherpa is finally here  (Read 7967 times)

bikerta

New Sherpa is finally here
« on: May 07, 2014, 10:38:20 pm »
Well at last I am now a fully fledged member of the Thorn Club. I picked up my new Sherpa this morning from SJS. I was very pleased with the excellent service from Steve, who dealt with me right from the very first visit, guiding me through all the options to the final fitting today. He was very patient, even when I still added little bits and pieces which he quickly fitted. Nothing was too much trouble. I had a good test ride on the bike, when final adjustments were made and then I was shown any basic maintenance required on the bike.

I was pleased to see that I can actually remove my wheel without having to let down the tyre or remove the brake pad as there is already enough clearance even with the 2.0 Marathon Duremes. It was however a very tight fit getting it into my Ford Ka, but we got there in the end. I would have ridden it the 40 miles or so home, but I had to get back to work.

I had another 10 mile ride tonight and I have to say I am over the moon with the bike. It is lighter than I expected, faster than I expected and so stable. This is the sort of bike that encourages you to ride with no hands!!!  It was the best feeling coasting down the steep hills, without being thrown around. I was also very pleased with how she climbed the hills. Not that they were huge hills, but one hill was where I use the lowest gear with the older bikes I have been training with the last couple of weeks, and I never even came out of the middle ring on the Sherpa. I am pleased with how the tyres roll even though they are pretty chunky and I really like the handlebar set up. Whether this cures my neck and shoulder problems or not I am yet to find out as I have not had the chance of a long enough ride yet. I think the bars will certainly help though.

Some unpleasant weather heading our way tomorrow, but I hope to have a longer ride over the weekend, but I don't want to get the bike dirty just yet.   Sad isn't it. Even more sad is that the bike is in my bedroom at the moment rather than the garage.  :-[

I took a few pictures very quickly this afternoon before I had to dash back to work.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

P.S. I know my garden needs weeding, but I don't have time for mundane things like that when I have a new bike to ride.

Jackie

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: New Sherpa is finally here
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 10:42:35 pm »
Nothing can really top a new bike - especially something as fun to ride as a Sherpa!

Donerol

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:48:05 pm »
Looks fantastic - you'll really enjoy it!

jags

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 11:06:57 pm »
Ah Jackie fair play to you thats a cracking bike for sure CLASS 8).
as i said before it took me a while to get used to my sherpa only because i was used to riding road bikes, but man i love the all day comfort on her, my brooks was like sitting on a comfy sofa  ;D and the wide supreams just glided along,yeah truly a bike for all  your cycling needs, end to end will be a breeze on that beauti.happy trails and keep her clean and be sure to proof that saddle leave it on overnight buff to a shine next morning rub it in with your hand best way to do it.

jags.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:21:46 pm by jags »

julk

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 11:13:31 pm »
Even more sad is that the bike is in my bedroom at the moment rather than the garage.  :-[
Jackie

Congratulations - fabulous looking bike, enjoy some great rides now.

Bedrooms can be quite useful, I once built a sailing dinghy in my second bedroom.
Had to get the window altered to be removeable - otherwise the boat was housebound!
Julian.

jags

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 11:23:18 pm »
Congratulations - fabulous looking bike, enjoy some great rides now.

Bedrooms can be quite useful, I once built a sailing dinghy in my second bedroom.
Had to get the window altered to be removeable - otherwise the boat was housebound!
Julian.

;D ;D ;D nice one julian .

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 03:03:05 am »
Wow! Great looking bike, Jackie -- love the red!  Enjoy exploring, safe journeys,

John

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 03:56:45 am »
Jackie!

I was gone for most of the afternoon, so didn't see your post until  returned home. What a treat to see you've got your bike at last!

Annnnnnnnnnnnd...! What a bike it is! The red color just glows and it is a lovely build. All looks so eager and elegant and ready to fly -- as I now you will when riding it. This is joy pure and simple, dreams fulfilled, and I'm so happy for you!

It just *couldn't* look any nicer!  ;D

I'm so hoping the weather will cooperate so you can get some more riding in by this weekend, at least. No worries about the garden or the bedroom. My own lawn went unmowed for a week after Sherpa arrived and he lived in my bedroom as well and eventually graduated to the fireplace hearth, now occupied by Seymour the Nomad. It felt disloyal to even consider stabling them in the garage!  :D

May many happy journeys pass beneath your wheels, and all best wishes on your own big tour, soon to come.

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 11:23:49 am »
Lovely bike, Jackie - good luck with it.

A very similar setup to my Ripio - thumbies, steerer tube left pretty long (people often comment on it but it suits me!), and, as you say, the feeling that the bike will look after you.

Lewis

in4

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 11:29:34 am »
Fabulous bike. Are they Thorn straight bars and ergon, er gp5s?!

nztony

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 11:46:00 am »
Jackie,
Well done on the new purchase, and I heartily agree with not wanting to ride it in the wet. My Nomad is now 4 months and 4000km old and I still won't ride it in the rain if I can at all help it! (I have a couple of times when I just couldn't avoid it) but made sure I cleaned it very carefully on my return.
Got my first puncture today while riding down a fast-ish wet descent, and took 30 minutes to get going again!
These days if it is raining I leave the bike inside (in my spare bedroom!) and go for a bush walk instead. I only have one bike in my spare bedroom, but 25 years ago I had seven would you believe! Although... I do believe there could be room in my spare room for a faster bike (faster than the Nomad) for quicker day rides.
Tony
NZ

jags

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 12:36:40 pm »
all my bikes down through the years lived in my hallway nice and warm and dry.outside yeah right not on your nelly. ;)
jackie  is gone quiet either shes at work dreaming of a good spin on the new machine or she rang in sick and is out having fun with a big wide grin on her face.

jags. ;)

alfie1952

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 01:21:38 pm »
Hi, Jackie.

Well worth the wait , it looks stunning. Totally delighted for you. Happy trails.

Best Wishes, Alfie.

Andybg

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 03:45:24 pm »
I bet now you have got it the price does not quite seem as important.

It looks spiffing and I am sure it will be a great companion for years to come. I think most people who try one are surprised how quick and light the sherpa is with 2" tyres compared to preconseptions.

Best of luck and many happy miles together

Andy

Relayer

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 04:54:55 pm »
Hi Jackie

Congratulations on your new Sherpa. Your joy is clear to see.

I just wondered, how often do you waken during the night to have a sneak peek at it?

Happy cycling.

Jim